Reply Eclipse
Leah & Jacob = Religious Referance? [maycontainspoilers]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SIT THE F DOWN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:04 am
On Stephanie Meyers website, she clearly claims that she is a religious woman...A Mormon

[DON'T GET ME WORNG WITH THE FOLLWING, I AM NOT DISCRIMINATING AGAINST MORMONS]

Considering I am not a religious person at all [even though I go to a catholic school], I wonder if Mrs.Meyers religious beliefs would affect her novels

I mean, Mel Brooks [a Jewish man] Movies are loaded with Jewish jokes and references...

Then it hit me...

Leah and Jacob

In one of my many religious classes I remember this one little love triangle between, Jacob, Son of Abraham, Leah and Rachel.

I remember it so well because me best friends name is Jakob and my name is Leia. (I couldn't help but laugh, just a little)

Anyways.

From what I remember...

Jacob, ordered by his father took Leah as his wife, and then Rachel.
And despite how he cared for them both, it was clear Jacob loved Rachel more and she bore many children while Leah had none. (well..she did later, thanks to God opening her womb or something)

So, is this connected to Meyer's story?

If it is...Does that mean a Rachel will appear?

Or maybe shes already a character with a different name. Could Rachel be Bella?
Or maybe Rachel is Emily, and Jacob is Sam instead

(FYI: Leah and Rachel were sisters, Leah and Emily are cousins, Sam loves Emily dispte hhis relationship with Leah)

Nevertheless, if Meyer is connected some plot lines with the bible.... Leah's not going to have a happy ending

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:39 am
Well, Im pretty sure Jacob has a sister named Rachel...

This kind of makes sense. I'm thinking that Jacob is Jacob (odd sentence, eh?) Like, Jacob will find someone to love, but his Rachel, whom he cares for so much more, is Bella.

It could be a coincidence, or she could be making an allusion to the bible. (Im using that term correctly, I hope...)

[ also, this is eclipse-y and Im moving it whee ]  

Alisox
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Generous 100

Genius __ Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:16 am
Yeah i'm thinking Jacob is Sam. It just makes more since to me. I'd like for Jacob to imprint on someone, since he obviously hasn't imprinted on Bella. *shrug* Who knows, perhaps, Bella could end up being Leah.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:03 pm
"Thought I'd begin by reading
a poem by Shakespeare, but then I thought...."

Forgive me if I'm getting this wrong or mixing it up with some other Bible story, but Jacob first married Leah and with her he had six sons and a daughter. He loved Leah, but his true love was Rachel, Leah's sister and he worked for seven years for her or something like that. With Rachel I do remember Jacob had Joseph with her.

So, when applying this to Eclipse (minus the children of course xD), I guess it would fit Sam's romantic problem. I mean, he did love Leah like Jacob loved Leah in the Bible, but his true love was Emily, like Rachel was to Jacob. And Leah had a kind of rivalry with Rachel and remembering what Jacob had said in the Epilogue, I guess Leah in Eclipse is bitter at Emily, but she probably doesn't compete with her.

Bella could be Edward's Rachel in a way, but he didn't have a Leah so maybe he can't really be compared to that.
I think that even though the genders are switched, Bella is in the son of Issac Jacob (I think it was Issac), Edward is her Rachel and poor Jacob is in Leah's place. ::cries::
If you want to see Jacob Black in Jacob's place, then I see Bella as his Leah, but he hasn't found his Rachel yet.
Man, why can't I be like this for school books!? gonk

...Why should I?
He never reads any of mine." -Spike Milligan

Syrette

SIT THE F DOWN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Taru-chan --Again--
"Thought I'd begin by reading
a poem by Shakespeare, but then I thought...."

Forgive me if I'm getting this wrong or mixing it up with some other Bible story, but Jacob first married Leah and with her he had six sons and a daughter. He loved Leah, but his true love was Rachel, Leah's sister and he worked for seven years for her or something like that. With Rachel I do remember Jacob had Joseph with her.

So, when applying this to Eclipse (minus the children of course xD), I guess it would fit Sam's romantic problem. I mean, he did love Leah like Jacob loved Leah in the Bible, but his true love was Emily, like Rachel was to Jacob. And Leah had a kind of rivalry with Rachel and remembering what Jacob had said in the Epilogue, I guess Leah in Eclipse is bitter at Emily, but she probably doesn't compete with her.

Bella could be Edward's Rachel in a way, but he didn't have a Leah so maybe he can't really be compared to that.
I think that even though the genders are switched, Bella is in the son of Issac Jacob (I think it was Issac), Edward is her Rachel and poor Jacob is in Leah's place. ::cries::
If you want to see Jacob Black in Jacob's place, then I see Bella as his Leah, but he hasn't found his Rachel yet.
Man, why can't I be like this for school books!? gonk

...Why should I?
He never reads any of mine." -Spike Milligan

That sounds about right ... This is all coming from my memories of grade 9 religion class, So I knew I didn't have some facts right...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:23 pm

Actually, I believe there is a Rachel. Rachel and Rebecca are Jacob's older twin sisters that Becca spent time with during her childhood visits to Forks. Rachel has a scholarship somewhere, and Rebecca married someone and moved to Hawaii.
So, if based on matching names, it would make sense that he would love his sister more than the complaining werewolf. >.>

smartdancerchick

Tickle Toe Bob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:05 pm
Haha, I'm pretty sure that one of Jacob older sisters is named Rachael, lol!! I don't think it is possible for Leah and Jacob to love each other, they kind of hate each other!  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:01 pm
*raises hand* um actually Rachel couldn't have children. Leah had many. and Jacob took both as his wives. leah snd rachels farther tricked him into 'paying' or working off the debt to have them both. because he was tricked with leah but loved rachel. and basically the sisters competed for his love. but leah was a loving wife, always devoted to her husband, even though he loved her sister and not her. So yeah....but that does make since. Leah and Jacob? oh man now i just really want to pick up eclipse. im not done yet. im in the part where their talking about how the wolves came to be. with the soul warriors and the vampires are just coming into the story crying  

Rezuri-chanchan

BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:15 pm
Well,when you put it THAT way,it's sorta like an odd coincidence,but for Eclipse,it's something different since Jacob hates Leah [ i mean who wouldn't >__>;; ]

But than again,Stephenie can pull out a plot twist anytime xDD

Eclipse

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff