Submit

?
!
100%
 100%  [ 139 ]
Total Votes : 139

Lachesia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:46 pm
I completely agree. When I throw out lines from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" or other pop culture references that formed the building blocks of my younger years, and I get nothing but blank looks or "...whut?" I start feeling really old. Even more humiliating, "I don't watch old 80's movies."

I don't share my age unless people specifically ask, and that's rare. If they do, such as in towns, I sidestep the question. If it's a thread contact who asks, they're usually a friend and it doesn't matter by that point, as the age thing isn't so important as mental maturity (or lack thereof? HA).

I'm quite pleased Princess Bride has stood the test of time, though, as the younger folk actually do get those lines and love them just as much as I do. heart

I have found I tend to fall into the "advice post" or "den mother" habit when I'm posting with my younger friends. Maybe it's unavoidable!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:25 pm
I do feel old sometimes, especially when some songs come on the radio, that are from the 80's!! whee  

boneymuggle

Mewling Prophet

6,575 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Pet Lover 100

Skaliver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:30 pm
The biggest thing for me is when some of the ppl around Gaia post about things from the 70's and 80's that have been remade and don't realize that they are talking about remakes. I also throw references out and nobody knows what I am talking about and, for me, the references don't seem that old at all.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:32 pm
purplewiz
jambare
For me the first Star Wars movie was what is today known as #4! And I saw that one in the theaters!! And I remember watching Transformers with my kids when they were younger!

I was old enough to have a crush on Luke Skywalker when Star Wars came out. I definitely predate Transformers - that's what my littlest brother and his friends watched!

I had the Shaun Cassidy and Leif Garret crush when I was in my early teens.  

Lil-Jo
Crew

Tess A Tigre

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:14 pm
Noriqueen
Hey Whippersnappers! I'm probably older than all of ya! lol.
Yes, there are days when gaia makes me feel very old, and I remember when Transformers first came out, my SONS went crazy for them! I also remember when my SONS went crazy for the first Ninja Turtle toys too!

::beating the floor with my cane for attention:: Whippersnapper??? SAY NAY! My son was GROWN before the ninja turtles came out and the only way I knew about the transformers was I secretly like cartoons... wink  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:28 pm
mAOri waHIne
One of my students just found out that I am on Gaia and all summer while she was away in England messaged me, or played rally with me, or posted on my profile. I didn't mind and in fact, really didn't think a bit about it. UNTIL, this past Thursday, during open house night at school her parents came up to me and said "Emma says that she kept in touch with you during summer on Gaia, we were quite shocked at first since Gaia is a child's site... aren't you a bit old to be playing there?" Immediately, my ***** radar was going off. wahmbulance OMG, I hope they don't think I'm stalking their child is what came to mind. So, I quickly grabbed the Vice Principal who knew I had a Gaia account since 2004 and asked her to reassure these parents that not only did the school know of my account but that the site was not like NeoPets but a larger community with older teens and adult. The parents did not realize this and apologized. I was of course now feeling rather old for being on Gaia and bit embarassed. I love Gaia but there are days when there are just too many wee ones onboard and I feel like the oldest living Gaia online. redface

Believe me, you're in GOOD company! I'm 48 fer cryin' out loud and I LOVE Gaia! I mainly play word bump or the jigsaw puzzles.... but stuff for my Avi and all. My best friend got me into Gaia, I forgot when, (that's what happens when ya get old!!! wink ) and she's a year behind me. So don't feel bad!  

Venuslady

President Kristian Fry

7,950 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:05 pm
You know I have the same problem. If I go talking about say the old Batman with Bert Ward everyone on here go Bert who? Its like how can't you know who he is?  
The GAIA Complaints Dept

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff