Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Slash Guild

Back to Guilds

HPSG is a guild for the discussion and pure love of all things Harry Potter and slash! Join us in support of your favorite pairing! 

Tags: Harry Potter, slash, Potter, femslash, Harry 

Reply HPSG Head Quarters
Is Canon Destroyed By Fiction? May contain Spoilers! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[Ren The Ryoko]
Crew

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:01 am
The Lad Insane
I don't think that my love of fics destroys my canon tastes.
I prefer to mix my canon with my fiction actually.....

For example, yeah Harry and Ginny get together in the books, but if you like Harry and Draco together then the Epilogue opens up a world of angsty possibilities.

Or in my case:
Spoiler if you haven't seen or read the Deathly Hallows yet.

I think that Harry naming his kind Albus Severus , adds to one of my favorite ships, because he named his son after the man he loved dearly..... smile

I actually like Remus and Tonks together..Something about their relationship really appeals to me.

Though I'd honestly ship Remus and Severus together any day over that.
And maybe even Tonks and Hermione.

I prefer Tonks/Anyone that isn't Remus. XD Their relationship drives me mad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:39 pm
I think cannon actually enhances fanfiction. Take Narcissa/Astoria fror example, we are not given much information about them in the books. Yes, they marry the Malfoy men, but what are their marriages like? I see these two ladies playing the expected social roles as wives in arranged marriages while being miserable in them. They come together to find comfort and ease loneliness.  

Rhiannon Corrine

Prolific Alchemist

35,875 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

[Ren The Ryoko]
Crew

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:18 pm

What's really odd is when you can really only get good canon in fanfiction.
I'm on a severe Neville/Hannah kick right now, but good luck finding s**t for it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:19 pm
Canon destroyed by Fiction?

Sometimes. But it all depends on the writer of the fiction itself. They can severly destroy canons with their stories and give rise to new ones. I personally like writers that think outside of the box with creating new ships like the Draco/Luna writers or the Blaise/Ginny writers. Opening up a new perspective to ships.

What I don't appreciate is the writers that use thier stories to demean certain canons to 'support' non-canon ships. Like the most destoryed but loved canon Hermione/Ron. For every good stories I find of them I find at least three of them out to demean and destory the canon. It's very distastful and I often leave comments saying as much.

Canon can be improved by fiction and destroyed as well. It really just depends upon the writer itself.

Lady DuskLight

HPSG Head Quarters

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces