Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply RP Retreat
[Official] A Writing Exercise //prompt changed weekly//NEW Q

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

<3;
  <3;
View Results

ieatwood

Distinct Rogue

8,500 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:27 pm
We all want to improve our writing skills. This thread is about character exploration, whether they are RP characters, your own personal story characters or fanfiction characters. This serves as an opportunity to stretch your creative limits and explore the characters you love. Each week a prompt will be given, and several times a week new questions will be asked.

Please read on to learn how to participate! Also, please don't talk in this thread, it is for submissions and suggestions only. Keep all discussion in the main forumn of the Suites.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:29 pm
Answering a Question;

[align=right][b][size=24]Question # [/size][/b]
[size=9][i]Write question in here.[/i]

[b]Character(s) used;[/b]
[b]IC or OOC;[/b]
[/size][/align]

[size=9]Your answer here.[/size]

-Using the above code, answer the current question; and if you chose any question from the current week.
-Please expand upon your answers, and use this exercise as an opportunity to really explore your characters.
-If you do wish to do all the questions you missed, do them in as few posts as possible, making sure to past a new code for every question.
-You may chose to answer from your characters prespective or, if you wish, reply entirely out of character.
-Please feel free to do past questions you missed ;3 <3;

-Questions will be presented and archived in the next post.
-If your answering the same questions for different characters, put each characters answer in a seperate post.

Suggesting a Question;

[b][size=24]Question Suggestion [/size][/b]
[size=9]
Suggestion here.
[/size][/align]

-Please make a suggestion as a single post, by itself.  

ieatwood

Distinct Rogue

8,500 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200

ieatwood

Distinct Rogue

8,500 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:30 pm
Current Questions;

10/08 Question #2 There is blood on the floor, who's is it, and where did it come from?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:31 pm
Answering a Prompt;

[align=right][b][size=24]Prompt # [/size][/b]
[size=9][b]Character(s) used;[/b]
[b]IC or OOC;[/b]
[/size][/align]

[size=9]Your answer here.[/size]

-While questions are a call to look deeper into your character, a prompt can be just something to inspire you to write.
-Using the above code, post your answer for the prompt of the week. Please try and answer the prompt during the week it is posted.
- Again, if you wish to go back and do any prompts that you missed, remember to use the correct prompt number.
-You may answer the prompt, more than once, for different characters, but each prompt answer should go in its own post.
-Tense and POV is up to you, use what is appropriate to the prompt you are answering.
-While your answer's don't need to be a novel, though please make use of this thread to stretch your creative limits and excercise your mind.
-Prompt answers should be at least a paragraph or two. I will not put limits on it, but please put thought and effort into your answer.
-Prompts will be changed every monday.
-I encourage you to do any of the old prompts you missed ;3

-Prompts will be displayed and archived in the next post.

Suggesting a Prompt;

[b][size=24]Prompt Suggestion[/size][/b]
[size=9]
Suggestion here.
[/size][/align]

-Please put all suggestions in a seperate post by itself.  

ieatwood

Distinct Rogue

8,500 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200

ieatwood

Distinct Rogue

8,500 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:32 pm
Prompt of the Week;

9/11 Prompt #1 Title Toss

Use one of the following story titles, to write your own short story. You may also generate your own, here. Please state the title, in bold before your response. While it doesn't have to be a novel, it should be a complete concept.

Unwilling Sorcerer
The Playful Guardian
Spirits of Lord
The Healing's Flower
The Tower of the Spirit
Stars in the Lord  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:32 pm
Writer's Showcase;

Here is where we will showcase inspiring or otherwise amazing submissions. None yet, P: impress us!  

ieatwood

Distinct Rogue

8,500 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200

ieatwood

Distinct Rogue

8,500 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:40 pm
Archive of Questions;

9/11 Question #1 What were your character's deepest longings at various ages? What singular longing has been with him or her since childhood?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:01 pm
Reserved;

ieatwood

Distinct Rogue

8,500 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200

ieatwood

Distinct Rogue

8,500 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:22 pm
Reserved;

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:40 pm
I christen this thread! -breaks bottle of wine over it-

Also, Gabriel has a penchant for being long-winded in explanations, so expect this to be long.
Question #1
What were your character's deepest longings at various ages?
What singular longing has been with him or her since childhood?

Character(s) used; Gabriel
IC or OOC; IC

Gabriel pauses before he speaks, contemplating the question. "It's hard for me to remember, as I have been dead much longer than I had been alive, by now," he laughs softly to himself, then continues. "I was the eldest of six children. As such, I was the sole heir to my family's fortune, and that was quite substantial: my family was one of the most prominent, wealthy families in seventeenth-century France. It was a different time, so unlike now." He pauses, caught out of time in a memory of his childhood. "My longing in those days was always to please my father. He was a religious man, very devout, and strict in the discipline of the Church."

"Of course, being the one who would replace my father was a very challenging role, indeed. But I took it in stride. I was very happy, lively child. But I had to learn many things at a very young age. I was well-versed in Latin and English, as was the practice then, by the time I was ten, and I knew how to govern my land and rule over my house by the age of fifteen. And allthough I was a rather reckless child, I never wanted to displease my father, nor did I. I always took care to be very obedient in front of him. My brothers and I would always get into mischief, but somehow we always managed to stay out of trouble and in the good graces of our parents.

"At around the age of nineteen, my father's death was looming over our heads, as he had become very sick by this time. I began to feel suffocated, overwhelmed. I didn't want to become my father, not this soon. I wanted to be a writer, at that age-- I thought a writer's life seemed incredibly glamourous. I had become quite a romanticist by this time, filling my head with the works of Shakespeare, of Chaucer, of Spencer. The epic poem Beowulf was a particular favourite of mine. I often placed myself in Beowulf's story, fancying myself killing Grindelwald and his mother, being a hero.

"My father didn't approve of my dreams of becoming a writer. Writers' lives were unstable, he said, full of vice and corruption. Being a man of the Church, you would expect him to say that of such liberal people as writers. But he was very disappointed in my confession to him, which shook me to my very core; I had never disappointed my father, not like this. He began to be very hard on me, threatening to disown me and the like. This frightened me, for although I had no desire to be the head of my household at that time, it was near blasphemy for the eldest son not to take up his father's position. I think my father was afraid that I would indeed become a writer and leave the family, and that is why he punished me so. I became very loyal to and obedient of my father, then, doing his every wish and trying to please him whenever possible. I would go out of my way to do things I imagined he would be pleased with.

"This is when I first got into trouble. There had been word of a dangerous creature attacking the young men of my father's sovereignty, a creature that seemed to drain these men of the last drops of their blood! Of course I was too curious and quite too audacious to not go seeking this creature out. I thought that if I perhaps ventured forth to slay the creature, I could win the good graces of my father again.

"Every night for nearly two years, we would stage a hunting party in the town square, venturing out to the edge of the wood that surrounded our sovereignty. But still these young men would die, almost weekly. By this time, we were getting desperate. How was this creature eluding our grasp? How could we stop it? We had never come close to capturing the beast, and our manpower had drastically dwindled. We needed to find this beast and kill it.

"One night, I was patrolling the edge of the woods. I had been advised against it, as my father was on the brink of death and I was next in line, but I felt a need to be in the midst of the action. I needed to prove myself.

During the middle of that night, I heard a stirring in the brush to my back. I immediately stiffened, all my senses alert, for I knew it had to be the creature. It seemed it could sense my feelings, could tell I wasn't afraid--rather, I was intrigued by it. I didn't know then why I wasn't frightened for my life. I still don't. I only remember hearing my name being called, but it wasn't voiced. It was as if I was being spoken to in my mind. This again fascinated me rather than frightening me. I moved towards the voice, making as little noise as possible, and presently found myself face-to-face with a very striking man. He was too beautiful, too graceful to be human. I knew there was something about him... something not right. But of course, I was intrigued. I couldn't sense the danger of this being, for I was too enraptured with looking at him.

"He didn't speak-- indeed, he didn't even seem to move-- but immediately I felt him about me, but I again didn't feel frightened, in fact, I felt... attracted to him. I did not know at the time what was happening, that I was being coerced by this thing-- this vampire, as is the common word for what he was, what I now am. I don't know the exact moment he bit, but I just remember I fell unconscious and awoke in a strange, dark cell.

"Well, that was a fright! I didn't know then, though, that I had been turned. I felt an immense thirst, and it wasn't for any wine or water. But of course at that time, I couldn't place what I yearned for-- having never drunk blood before then, I didn't know what it tasted like. Anyway, I had presently been turned into a vampire. The one who had turned me--he never told me his name-- told me the essentials of this curse and veritably dumped me out on my own!

"I should mention that I never went back to my family. It sounds harsh, I know, but how could I, gruesome thing as I was? In the first years, I was appalled at what I had become. I drank only enough to be sated, never killing-- I still don't. I can't. It's not in me to kill; I've never been a ruthless person. I am not a ruthless vampire.

Anyway, I have quite digressed from the point. My longing of being a writer was not wholly forgotten. It may sound blase, common, but what can I say? I am a romanticist, always have been. I guess to answer the second question, writing has always been one of my passions. I don't long to be a writer, at least, not a famous one, but I have a passion for prose, as it were. I do write from time to time-- fancy that, a vampire novelist-- but nothing I would publish. I'm far too conscious of my work, it's too private for me to endure another reading it. I've quite wasted your time, by now," he smiles, realising just how long he had been talking and just how much he had divulged.

"To summarise: as a child, I had a longing to be a writer, a longing to please my father. I still have a longing to write, if not to be a writer, but my longing to please my father feels like the shadow of a memory. Do not think me harsh; it's just been too long a time for me to feel any remorse for my father or my family anymore. I can't much remember them, only feeling associated with them." He sat back in his chair, deeming that enough of an explanation. After a brief rest, he rises from his chair and exits the room.

Haha! Is anyone still reading? I guess Gabriel felt the need for a little backstory, which, I suppose isn't altogether a bad thing, but he should have shortened it a little. I couldn't stop him, though! He does seem to like the sound of his own voice... This is more like the short story than an answer to the questions... :'D  

un de plus pamplemousse

ieatwood

Distinct Rogue

8,500 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:34 pm
Question #

Character(s) used; Marla
IC or OOC; OOC

For as long as she could remember, Marla has been waiting for something to happen. Her mother was High Priestess of the last surviving Priesthood of the Goddess Freyja hidden in the mountains of Iceland. It sounded exciting, but their life was quiet and full of study and chores. They lived simply, mostly off the land, old fashioned and ritualistic in many ways. Of course, it was expected that she take her mothers' place, ever since she was young the role had been hanging over her head. She was talented, it seemed even since she was a girl the spirits guided her, and the runes revealed their secrets like flowers opening to the sun. But, as much as she admired her heritage, she found her home monotonous; while holding up their ancient traditions was a fine calling, it was not one Marla wanted for herself. She chafed at the expected roll and itched to break free and walk her own path.

She wanted something to happen. Which was why she'd convinced her mother to let her move to Philidelphia, to Anita's hospital, somewhere she could make a difference.

Nothing wrong with long! <3; I thought I'd give you all a little backstory on Marla, too ;D  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:42 am
Question # 1

Character(s) used; Jade Flame
IC or OOC; IC

"Hmm? You want to know my longings?" The young woman laughed from the chair she was seated in. Flipping her hair with a hand behind her back a smile danced upon her face. "Well I'm not very old, though I'm sure you could tell that just by looking at me." Her blue-green eyes touch the floor before widening in realization. "I haven't told you who I am yet, have I?" The girl placed a hand in front of her face to hide the subtle blush there. "How rude of me." Removing the hand, the dark haired woman sat straighter in her chair, placing her palms on her knees. "I am Jade Flame, pleased to make your acquaintance." Bowing her head slightly the woman came back up to lay her eyes on the table beside her. "I guess first, I would have to say that I just wanted to make my parents proud, but I think everyone wants to do that. Even those without parents, right? They want someone to praise them. For me it was my father." A sad smile this time caressed her fine features. "He was without a doubt the most amazing man you would ever meet. He knew everything that you would ask and he answered it all with a smile. He was the man I looked up to, the person I most respected."

Jade paused to take a drink. "I think it was when they sent me away to train that my ideals changed. Though I still wanted to make my father proud, I wanted to do things my own way and succeed while doing it. My teacher told me that I had plenty of talent for fighting and defending. Our hand to hand combat would last longer than the others he would train and strangely the other students were male." The dark brunette laughed at the thought of the other's in her class. "They would all be panting as I stood waiting for the next round. But maybe that was because I did chores before I was sent away and built up stamina. Where the boys looked as if they did nothing at all; but then, we were all nobles of some sort. Oh did I fail to mention that? Sorry." She waved her arm in dismissal of the fact. "It's not as if that was important anyway. After I was through that class I was around sixteen, I think and like all other teenagers I was out to get myself a boyfriend. But not just anyone would do. No, he had to be strong, smart, funny, well you know, all of those things. I thought I would never find him until I was placed under my mentor.

"His name isn't really all that important anymore, he's likely forgotten about me by now anyway. But he was everything I wanted and more. The only thing was though, he was much older than I was. Since my people naturally live longer than most, our ages don't really come into account when you passed a certain point, but at seventeen dating someone that was... I think he was fifty actually, but it was just out of the question. I wanted him more than I wanted to live. It was my hormones at work, yes I know that much, but who wouldn't fall for someone like him? He sounds like some sort of god the way I put it, but he wasn't. He worked for our lord as a trained killer. It was strange watching him work. I think I concentrated more on how his muscles moved under his clothes for the first four years than I did on my learning; but at the time I didn't care." Blue-green eyes shifted again, this time to the window pane. "He did fall for me in the end." Her whispered words seemed to echo through the room.

"I'm getting off track, I'm sorry. It's just, the day he told me that he loved me, I thought I would die. I was twenty-three then and I wanted to live up to his expectations, to make him happy and give him everything that he could ever want. But for some reason things weren't to go like that. I was assigned to my first mission. It was a joyous day for us all and as I left alone to test my skills and live up to what everyone expected of me, things went wrong." Jade let out a small sigh as she ran a hand through her hair. "I wasn't meant to live through that. Not that it has anything to do with it but it's true. Our lord didn't want me to come back. I still don't remember all of it, I didn't remember anything actually after I woke up; not even him."

The woman shook her head to clear of the unpleasant memories. "I guess the one thing that made me go forward in life and do what I have was my longing to please people. I was a noble's child and though I didn't have to live up to anything but child bearing, I wanted to do more. I hope I did do just that, even if I didn't live up to my own expectations." Jade nodded once to herself before standing and exiting the room.

Hope that was alright. It's actually the first time I put any thought into that particular character.  

ZenAlexandros

RP Retreat

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff