Reply "ALI" Advice for Life Issues
Ugh...I Need Sleep

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

dresslikeinuyasha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:09 pm
Unfortunately, it takes me forever to get any and that is definitely a not a good thing on school days.

I've tried everything I can think of but my body won't let me fall asleep until around midnight when I have to get up at 6:00am almost everyday. I know six hours is not nearly enough sleep but I can't do anything! I've tried drinking milk, reading, and relaxing my whole body but nothing works! I'm always exhausted, I can't practice properly in the morning (I'm on the colorguard team) and I'm always hitting myself with my flag.

I really need sleep. Any suggestions?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:15 am
dresslikeinuyasha
Unfortunately, it takes me forever to get any and that is definitely a not a good thing on school days.

I've tried everything I can think of but my body won't let me fall asleep until around midnight when I have to get up at 6:00am almost everyday. I know six hours is not nearly enough sleep but I can't do anything! I've tried drinking milk, reading, and relaxing my whole body but nothing works! I'm always exhausted, I can't practice properly in the morning (I'm on the colorguard team) and I'm always hitting myself with my flag.

well, it could be an issue of insomnia.. which is a medical condition. but before jumping to that conclusion, I would suggest, on top of relaxing your body as you lay down to sleep, concentrate on your breathing. it could be that your mind is too active and wont shut up, and if you have issues going on in your life that trouble or excite you, the feelings the issues incite could be keeping your attention rivited on the chatter going on in your mind about it.

I find, when my mind is too chatty and wont shut up, if I focus all my attention on my breath... on each inhale and each exhale.. I will gently fall asleep. and when you notice the chatter in your head again, gently bring it back to notice your breathing. dont concentrate on anything but that. it's actually a basic technique of meditation in buddhism. I've found it very calming and stimulating both at the same time.  

Calypsophia

Sotur

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:33 am
i'd say follow calypsophia's breathing suggestion: take a deep breath, hold it it a few seconds, and gently let it out: breath in trhu ur nose, let it out thru ur mouth. if that doesn't work, then try this; it's a relaxation technique, u said u'd tried relaxing but i dunno what technique u used, so i'll suggest the one taught to me in a stress management class: tensing ur muscles, and then letting go. but not the whole body at the beggining. take it little by little: tense ur face, relax. tense ur shoulders, relax. tense ur arms, relax. then chest, abdomen, legs, feet, and finally the whole body together. u can do it several times [i think...i'll have to ask sweatdrop ]. i find that it really helps. they told me to put soothing music and to focus on my breathing at the same time. also, to picture myself in a relaxing place...this last one doesn't really work for me, but it might for u. so just give it a try.

if not, u can try changing the position u r sleeping, change ur pillow, the sheets on the bed...stuff like that. or, i dunno if u exercise during the day, but perhaps some exercising [aerobics, something to make u sweat, heck, dancing like crazy for a bit] might help. my psychologist told me to try that, perhaps it could work for u.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:55 am
dresslikeinuyasha

I've tried everything I can think of but my body won't let me fall asleep until around midnight when I have to get up at 6:00am almost everyday. I know six hours is not nearly enough sleep but I can't do anything! I've tried drinking milk, reading, and relaxing my whole body but nothing works! I'm always exhausted, I can't practice properly in the morning (I'm on the color guard team) and I'm always hitting myself with my flag.

Classical music, teddy, sleeping in your mum or dads bed because maybe you have nightmares. I have had worse. On holiday I didn't sleep for 5 days because of mosquitoes! Horrible, and on the 4th day I slept outside in a shed like bedroom and it was freezing!  

Chipmint

danna09

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:17 pm
I used to have trouble sleeping I'm not sure why I don't any more, but what I did was tell stories in my head that I made up, so I wouldn't be able to think about anything else. It was usually the same story and I just kept adding on to it each night.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:24 pm
There is such a thing as I think its called semi-somnia or some thing... Anyway... I find it difficult to sleepit's now 5:22am and I won't sleep... I usually stay up for about a day straight and my body becomes so tired I just fall asleep... Not a good I dea if your still in school trust me... Anyway what I used to do use try and think of nothing at all... It's hard but it got me to sleep,,,  

kyoshiro2

simsboarder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:23 pm
I have heard that Marijuana makes you tired, have you ever tried that?
Just joking...............  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:46 pm
what i do is this:
1.replay the entire day in my head
2. play my waves
3. think about the waves, let them swallow me. think about what i want to happen at the beach....

if that doesnt work i do this:
4. erase all emotion from your head. try it! it takes alot of concentration. its hard and thats why i cant fall asleep often! my brain is running on the emotions of the day! its strange, but it works...
5. then try all thoughts... that one is the hardest, but i just usualy think im staring at a piece of paper. not the kind with lines but the hard paper thats colored... then try to think of that and fallow all of the above exept numbers 1 and 3......  

DvnT

Sylba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:27 am
I've found playing music as I fall alseep helps me relax. just make sure it's soft music, like soft pop. rap or heavy netal would probably keep you up! XD
you could also try exercising more in your free time to wear yourself out. If it doesn't get any better I suggest you talk to your parents and maybe set an appointment with a doctor  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:36 pm
dresslikeinuyasha

Same here. I start school tomorrow and I cannot fall asleep. actually I haven't been able to sleep properly for the past week and a half. I wish i could help you. my mom always says just lay on the bed and close your eyes you will fall asleep eventually. that doesn't work for me but maybe it will for you.  

Anabethe

shani26

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:06 am
Try this one.
tidy your room, and your school bug before you go to sleep. When you do that think of it as part of a mediation. The idea is to sort all the garbage and the worries from your day, and organize your stuff in your life. Sometimes i have trouble to sleep when i know i have to get up early and i didn't have all the notes i need for class.  
"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games