Reply The GAIA Complaints Dept
Someone Moved My F-ng Cheese AGAIN!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lucky Hoku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:47 am
Years ago when I left my comfortable job at NZ and came to America, a former boss handed me a book called Who Moved The Cheese. It was a great book to read about how to adjust your life when things change. And it was quite an inspiration for me that I did change my occupation and became an art teacher which I love so much. This past week, someone moved the damn cheese again... not for me but for my husband who lost his job as an airline pilot. The idea of starting over again is devastating. And with each news report of another airline going out of business the prospect for jobs as a pilot becomes even more saturated. The fear that there will be no cheese for anyone of the mice out there looking for a job in the aviation field is truely terrifying. In the 30 years that he has been flying not once did it ever occur to him nor myself that he would have to give up his career let alone lose his job in one quick sweep. And just when you think things can't get worse it does... getting a phone call from my mum to tell me that my brother suffered a heart attack and is in hospital has my head spinning. Then getting a phone call from my daughter's school telling me that she had a screaming fest with her art teacher and may face possible suspension basically brought me to my knees. My children are not dealing with this stress and having lack of compassion from their school is outrageous. Not that I expected the school to do anything special for my children but for god's sake when the entire USA knows that your husband's company has shut it's doors and he is one of the many thousands unemployed you would think they would have a little understanding and compassion for the situation. I guess the worse of it is watching my husband breakdown and cry... that in and of itself, makes me want to find that f-ing cheese and bring it back to him. In the 22 years of being married I have never once felt so helpless as to what to do for him. But this is just self pity... I know that there are others who are less fortunate out there and in worse situations then myself and I apologize if my rant offends anyone. BUT I just truely needed to write this all down and set it free because I can't fall a part in front of my family and I can't tell them all of this... someone has to hold it together and go looking for that cheese and right now that person is me.

Thank you all for reading this and again, my apologizes for ranting.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:02 am
We all need to rant once in a while....Heck, even I've done it here. It's a safe place to rant...

So, don't worry about unloading here. That's what us geezers are here for, each other.  

Mellissandria

Elspeth Telrunya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:57 pm
*hugs and hands you a bit of cheese heart God bless from one transplanted kiwi to another.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:15 pm
G*DAMMIT! This is not self-pity! You are under a great deal of stress and if you choose to release some of it with a rant, then please, do so.

I'm glad that book helped you, but it's never helped me. It kinda overlooks the fact that sometimes, there isn't another maze... or that, if you spend your whole life chasing the cheese, looking for peanut better (which we all prefer in our mousy hearts) is an intuitive leap you may have a great deal of trouble making.

But! Oh! How I hate that book.

I hate books that tell you all you employees should be salesmen. I hate books that talk about "creating wealth" and I hate books that leave people who've had a tough time thinking it was somehow, on some level, their fault for not dealing with it well enough!

So, if you feel a little sorry for yourself or your husband feels the icy hand of despair, that's okay. I don't think any less of you for it. I know no one on these boards will.

You sound like people who've had hard decisions to make before, to me.
You sound like you're facing a tough situation, but you're thinking about it.
You sound like you care for your husband and your family and what's right.

And that's why I know you'll do the right thing. You will find comfort and peace. Screw the cheese analogy. I beleive in you, for what that's worth.

I also think you should listen to the song "Mexican Wine" by Fountains of Wayne, if you get a chance. It's only mildly related to your situation, but maybe you'll find it funny. It's off the album, "Welcome Interstate Managers"  

Harbone
Crew

September Wolf

Wintry Dragon

21,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:09 am
*HUGS*

Sounds like you are having a rough time at the moment, and I wish you and your family strength to get through.

The GAIA Complaints Dept

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games