Reply "ALI" Advice for Life Issues
bad habit tough to get over...advice?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

makirra-matsukaze

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:42 pm
ok, so i have this really bad habit. I'm optimistic towards my friends, but when it comes to me...i'm extremely pessimistic. My thoughts wander out of control and it's really hard for me to stop. For example: i'll be talking to my bf, and he's told me a thousand times he loves me and i could never disappoint him and he would never hurt me, and we'll get off the phone after we say "i love you" to each other, and i'll be sitting there for a minute going "omg, he's so amazing!" but then my thoughts start to wander into that dark corner of my mind...i'll start thinking things like "what if he's just playing me?", "what if it doesn't work out?", "what if he's embarrassed by me?", "what if i'll never get to see him?" (btw, he lives on the other side of the country =/ ) and when i talk to my friends, say we're on the subject of food, and i haven't been eating for quite a while because i'm so friggen self-conscious, and i'll just blurt out "i don't need food because i'm fat." they tell me i'm not fat, and i say that i am, and we'll get into this big argument. it really pisses my friends off, so now i try not to say anything. Any advice on how to get over this bad habit?  
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:07 pm
Hmm. You sound a lot like me. My bro has a gf that lives all the way in Pennsylvania and we live in New Jersey. They talk every afternoon, every night, and never get off for like 2 hours or so. And when I forget something in his room that I need for school, I sometimes see his phone right by his ear while he is sleeping. I think it is sweet how they are so close to each other. But man I hear lots of problems about his cell phone bills. x3
I guess try to think less about the negative side. It's okay to think it out. But try not to think so many negative thoughts that you become unsure of yourself. If you do think of the negatives, think some positives that can probably counter act with the negatives. xD

X_Kohana Nozomi_X

Newbie Noob

6,350 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Hygienic 200

nytshad

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:18 am
That internal monolgue will drive you crazy if you let it. The best way to reaffirm confidence in yourself is to find something to be confident about. Drawing, sculpting, music, studies, whatever keeps that voice quite. Once you've found something that you can be truely proud of, then you can begin integrating that pride into other aspects of your life little by little.

Also, it doesn't hurt to make a conscious effort to silence that voice. Whenever mine starts up, I start playing a battle song from Sailor Moon in my head to drown it out and it helps a lot.

Some side advice: Don't skip meals. All that does is slow down your metabolism and it won't help you lose fat, only muscle tissue. If you want to lose weight eat a diverse diet involving milk products, protein, and low fat foods and engage in regular exercise. That's the way we are built to lose fat tissue.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:16 pm
Thats completely natural hun!

But geeze if he says it like I think he says than godmnt LISTEN!

Whats he got to do, buy you a car??? He loves you and all this worring is just cause you arent 100% comfortable with him but you SHOULD!

This habit can help you though so don't break just dont let it mooch over your thoughts. Until it causes a serious problem you should just keep it.  

Kestix

Zzyli

Prismatic Unicorn

76,950 Points
  • Fairy bread fancier 500
  • Just A Regular User 500
  • Wing Mastery 100
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:25 am
Worry is perfectly natural and our biggest critics are ourselves. You spend so much time with yourself it's only natural that you are harsher on yourself than anyone else. You can see (almost) all your faults. Still, constant worry has you living in fear and anxiety.

One thing that a friend suggested to me (and she was told by a counsellor) is to allow 5 minutes 'worry time' a day. Write down all the things that worry you, and give yourself a fixed time to be as stressed as you want. After that, try to either distract yourself, or to replace your negative thoughts with positive ones.

Backing up what Nytshad said, don't skip meals! Assuming you are still a school student, your body and brain is still growing, and your weight will keep changing until you have finished. Don't starve yourself or you may end up with an underdeveloped brain or body. If you are genuinely concerned about your weight, talk to a doctor about it who can give you some sensible advice.  
"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games