Reply Rainbow Bridge
I need help with my fish!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

gijane69

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:45 pm
Well I am currently on a pet buying frenzy and I bought some fish and then bought to alge eaters so I have 6 fish. I also bought this tank at a garage sale. Well I went to PetCo to buy all that I need for them and I bought what the guy told me, but I am not having luck with the fish. I have only lost one, (knock on wood) but I need some help.

I am not sure if I am doing this right or not, the guy said I would have to change the filter every month but I have been having to change it every week, because it really starts to stink after 7 days and the filter is disgusting after that long a period. When i change the tank on Sundays. I take out everything a wash them really good (i.e. rocks, plastic sea weeds, cave, rock etc.) I even clean the filter, heater, and thermostate. I am not sure I should be cleaning it so much. But I don't like the fish swimming in guck. I don't want them to die.

Can someone please help me, tell me what I am doing wrong or what I need to do.

Thanks GiJane69 domokun  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:40 am
firstly, what type of fish do you have? Some fish can't stand cold water, so they'll die, while other's can't stand warm water. I have gold fish, so they like luke warm water.

as for everything else, you may just be cleaning out the tank too often. If the tanks too clean, then you'll loose your alge eaters because there wont be anything for him to eat. Also I'm starting to wonder if your changing the filter too much. Don't worry if it stinks, worry if there's no water comming through. That's usually a sign that you need to change it. If you really can't stand the smell, spray some febrese near the tank (don't let it go in the water, that'll hurt ur fish) or just put an air freshener near it.

oh yes that reminds me (i'm skimming over your writing if your wondering why everythings in random order) i'd say not to clean either the cave or the rock too often. That's a good way to get alge on it so that your alge eaters will have something to eat. I remembered how you seem to have a fobia with things not being clean. If you really have to clean everything, then keep one of the two out of the picture and only clean them of poop and stuff like that (not alge!)

anywho, if you still have questions, then i'll try to help. my mom's a freak when it comes to fish. (eyes shark that's watching me)  

Delegara

Welcoming Fairy

8,900 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100

gijane69

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:58 pm
Thanks for replying, I won't clean as often, but I have one more questions, this lady at Wal-Mart gave me these drops to put in the tank when it is dirty and cloudy, is this ok?

I clean the water because it gets so cloudy which I am assuming is dirty that I can't even see the fish. I can with stand the smell but I am afraid that the cloudiness and muck will get into their eyes or gills and they will die.

I change the filter when it is brown with guck.

by the way I have Gold fish and they are growing very fast except one. Then of course town alge eater and they are getting gigantic.

Thanks for all your help.

GiJane69 domokun  
Rainbow Bridge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces