Submit

Lupas Deva

Dangerous Elder

19,325 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Generous 100
  • Winged 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:49 am
Does anyone here know about stocks and how to get started? I've been reading up on the terms they use but I really have no idea how I actually start.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:50 pm
Lupas Deva
Does anyone here know about stocks and how to get started? I've been reading up on the terms they use but I really have no idea how I actually start.

You can go to sharebuilder.com or etrade.com or zecco.com. Yahoo.com has an education area where you can learn about stocks and trading and such. You can also get some valuable information from the Motley Fool...  

Malheureux
Crew

stellacadente

9,600 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:09 pm
You looking to play around with some spare funds, or to start a retirement portfolio? Because I'd recommend mutual funds ...

Wow, I never thought I'd type those words on Gaia!! rofl rofl pirate

Anyhoo, I work for an investment advisor but we don't do individual securities.

I also highly recommend Yahoo! finance and Motley Fool for the background you need to understand the fundamentals. Morningstar.com has a lot, but I don't know how much you can get for free. I get it through both work and school.

If you want to invest in individual company stocks, I recommend getting to know the company's financials. You can download annual statements and such from the EDGAR site of the SEC.

I'd have to go digging on my main comp for the big gigantic (and brown, I think) reference book that lists all the ratios like PE, etc... for publicly traded companies by industry code. This *is* the geezer guild, so I'm entitled to my senior moment, lol!!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:51 pm
Malheureux
Lupas Deva

You can go to sharebuilder.com or etrade.com or zecco.com. Yahoo.com has an education area where you can learn about stocks and trading and such. You can also get some valuable information from the Motley Fool...

I'll check these out thanks.

stellacadente
You looking to play around with some spare funds, or to start a retirement portfolio? Because I'd recommend mutual funds ...

Wow, I never thought I'd type those words on Gaia!! rofl rofl pirate

Anyhoo, I work for an investment advisor but we don't do individual securities.

I also highly recommend Yahoo! finance and Motley Fool for the background you need to understand the fundamentals. Morningstar.com has a lot, but I don't know how much you can get for free. I get it through both work and school.

If you want to invest in individual company stocks, I recommend getting to know the company's financials. You can download annual statements and such from the EDGAR site of the SEC.

I'd have to go digging on my main comp for the big gigantic (and brown, I think) reference book that lists all the ratios like PE, etc... for publicly traded companies by industry code. This *is* the geezer guild, so I'm entitled to my senior moment, lol!!

More like spare funds. I'm not too bad at the gaia mp so I'm hoping to get some real life experience.  

Lupas Deva

Dangerous Elder

19,325 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Generous 100
  • Winged 100

RoleOfAQS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:51 pm
It's like gambling, but more extreme. Make sure you have a backup plan, and plenty of money in reserve.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:33 pm
RoleOfAQS
It's like gambling, but more extreme. Make sure you have a backup plan, and plenty of money in reserve.

You don't really need "reserve monies" as long as you're not using money that you would normally pay your rent or by your food with...
If you're investing in the stock market you should only use money that has been set asside for this purpose.  

Malheureux
Crew

Warnersister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:31 am
I'd echo the recommendations for the Motley Fool - and also make sure whatever you're putting in the stock market is money you won't miss. And you definitely need to treat it as long term and not expect to have to withdraw it for at least 5 years. If you're only in it for the short-term and you're just starting out, you'd be better off with something less risky.

DW  
Advice Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff