Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Advice Forum
earache remedies for perforated eardrums?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

pd2care

17,800 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:33 am
My daughter perforated her eardrum yesterday while swimming. Her ear hadn't recovered from the skydive she did on Monday, completely, and didn't know not to go swimming until it had un-popped. (now she knows!) We went to Urgent Care, and her eardrum has a hole in it. The doc gave her naproxen for swelling, and Z-Pac for prophylactic antibiotics, but that's it. Nothing for the pain. I wasn't in with her (for the first time) as I was out dealing with insurance issues. We go in to our family doc on Monday, but in the meantime, she's having trouble dealing with the pain.
Right now we're having her take Tylenol every 3 1/2 hours to stay ahead of it a smidge, but it still hurts too much. Any suggestions? Take into consideration she can't have any moisture in her ear, or infection will set in, regardless of the antibiotics. All help will be much appreciated.
She's jess_209 here.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:03 am
I'm so sorry about your daughter's ear drum perforation. That must be so painful! It's a shame the ER didn't give her anything more for the pain, because Tylenol can only go so far.
My suggestion is chocolate. I know it sounds unusual and unhealthy, and somewhat Harry Potterish, but sugar has a small amount of whatever our bodies manufacture naturally to counteract pain, and chocolate increases feelings of well-being. When my kids have to have blood drawn, they pop a piece of chocolate into their mouth right before the needle goes into their arm. Even if it doesn't help the pain a lot, at least you have a distraction. And you have chocolate!
Good luck, and I hope she finds some relief!  

Wendy Belle

pd2care

17,800 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:16 am
I like your answer. 4laugh And she did feel a little better after her ice cream last night. She's tiny, so I'm not worried about the health part of trying that, for now. It won't hurt her to put on another 10 pounds anyway. She's one of "those" girls who can eat as much as she wants, whenever she wants, and doesn't gain an ounce, whereas I'm 50 pounds overweight. heart

Anyone else have any suggestions??

Advice Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff