Reply Gaian Geezers Guild
Smokers....Know Your Rights!! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sapphire Waterlilly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:43 pm
I can't believe a lot of people think that certain countries are outlawing smoking to stop people from smoking. And it's kinda like a smoker to think that way because smokers usually only think about themselves when it comes to smoking. I hope some people can wake up and think about the people who are non-smokers.

Not everyone is a smoker so why would it be ok to smoke in a building? Making a non-smoking section doesn't work either. Smoke drifts! So you want to have a cigarette after dinner? Do you think I want to? Because I will be if you do.

When I go outside the first thing I want to do is breathe fresh air but instead there is a cloud of smoke from people smoking right outside the door. So yes being 10 feet away from the building isn't that much to ask.

Smoking at a bus stop? Do think that's ok. Everyone has to wait there, so do you think it's nice to just light-up and pollute the air and subject people to it? No. It's horribly selfish.

And the worst has to be people who smoke in there homes and cars with kids and babies around. That's just sick. You don't even give them the choice. Anyone who does this I have no respect for.

I know someone who is now 25 years old who lived with his parents and ever since he was born had to live in a house where the parents smoked inside. Poor guy has asthma (and I know lots of people have asthma and aren't near smoke but I know this is why he has it) he is always sick. Anything that goes around he gets. And you know why? Because second hand smoke is worse then first hand. His body was being damaged because his parents like to smoke. How nice.

So to smokers, yes you have the right to do whatever you want with your life and body and I would never tell anyone to stop smoking. It's your choice. But subjecting it to other people's lives is not your choice.

Brantford, Ontario Canada has had smoke free restaurants and buildings since 2003. You can't smoke unless your 10 feet away from buildings and it cannot be under a roof with 4 sides closed.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:49 pm
I am a smoker and honestly don't feel it's right for me to go into a restaraunt that has children, or any other people who may not smoke, and light up a cig after dinner.

I'm personally glad that around where I live, people aren't allowed to smoke inside any public place at all anymore, including at the bars. wink There are special sections outside for smokers, at a certain amount of feet away from the front entrance of the public place.

grapeseed

Lil-Jo
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:51 pm
I left my comment...

Grapeseed and Sapphire Waterlilly, both of you have good things to say. I do not want any of my kids to have to suffer from the things that are caused by second hand smoke. I was raised by smokers until I was 12, I remember how horrible it was and have tried very hard to keep smokers away from my kids... even if that would mean losing a friend.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:37 am
I remember growing up smelling like a cigarette, but I really had no choice. sweatdrop It kind of sucked being six years old smelling like a chain smoker  

Creepy Clown Town

ziyal42

5,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:59 am
I commented as well. One can see you feel passionately about the topic.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:11 pm
Thanks for all the comments.

I do agree that if you do smoke, that you should be considerate enough NOT to smoke in front of your kids. I think that is just gross. And not to mention that it creates lots of health problems for your kids later on in their lives. I think that if you smoke around your kids that you are just asking for the "Worst Parent of The Century" award.  

Peapod thePocket Squirrel

Bouton_dOr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:55 pm
I posted in your journal but I have more to add after reading here.

What I already posted:

I just moved to Cali and the strict smoking laws out here are ******** insane.

Smoking should be allowed anywhere outdoors. As for indoors, it should be up to whatever establishment it is to decide. Then people that don't want to be around smoke can decide not to go there!

You can't ******** smoke on the beach here!!! I have to walk all the way up to the sidewalk to ******** smoke. In such an open place who the ******** is going to suffer from me having a cigarette?? Ridiculous.

What I have to add:

I understand that 2nd hand smoke is bad. I always ask if I'm with others if it is okay that I smoke. I don't mind walking out of a building to have a cig in the least.

My only problem is that I can't smoke outside pretty much anywhere, where my smoke does not affect others.

I actually don't think the government is pressing all these smoking laws to get people to quit at all. They make so much money off of cigs it's ridiculous!

The only reason I could see the government in the US pressing non-smoking laws is due to pressure from non-smoking organizations.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:51 pm
Miss Abigal of Lenox
Went to your profile didn't see the place to give our opinion, so I'll pass it along here. The only thing about you smoking, or anyone for that matter, is the second hand smoke that does hurt other people, take it from someone who knows, I am now battling emphysema, I don't smoke, and it's not a fun thing.to not be able to breathe very good sometimes. So just be aware of who you smoke in front of, and what your smoke is doing to them. Do I think you have a right to smoke! yes, just not in front of others. It's your body and if you want to harm it that's your business, but others have a right to breathe without your smoke.

Now that is something I have to agree with, I know you guys and my mom have rights to smoke when you guys want but second hand smoke is deadly, Luckly I don't have any problems but a touch with breathing, the doctors say I'll be fine if Mom lets up on the smoking a bit, I'm visiting my dad now for two months and I'm breathing much better than I did with my mom, I'm not complaining much to her, but when in a room with her she smokes like 4 cigs, anytime I spend with her, I spend with her smoke and it makes me weak headed and sick feeling alot, so watch what you do about others!! I just wish my mom did, she is so pissed about this smoking she isn't caring if I get sick or not, and unlike most people I'm one of few who have twice the risk because I was born with a hole in my heart, making me weaker than most since most of my body is working overtime to keep my heart itself safe, so I agree, look up any info of those you smoke about, other than watch who you smoke about, go ahead and smoke.  

BookLover87

Queen Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:55 am
Just because we smoke doesnt mean we arnt human. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:26 pm
Queen Spirit
Just because we smoke doesnt mean we arnt human. rolleyes

Indeed, indeed.  

Peapod thePocket Squirrel

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:21 pm
Miss Abigal of Lenox
Went to your profile didn't see the place to give our opinion, so I'll pass it along here. The only thing about you smoking, or anyone for that matter, is the second hand smoke that does hurt other people, take it from someone who knows, I am now battling emphysema, I don't smoke, and it's not a fun thing.to not be able to breathe very good sometimes. So just be aware of who you smoke in front of, and what your smoke is doing to them. Do I think you have a right to smoke! yes, just not in front of others. It's your body and if you want to harm it that's your business, but others have a right to breathe without your smoke.

I am so sorry about what's happening to you, Miss Abigal. I've avoided smoking most of my life, but second hand smoke has brought me a lot of misery as well. I don't really mind someone else choosing to screw up their own bodies, but the many non-cigararette-company-sponsored studies which showed that second hand smoke harms others makes me dislike it more than, say, drinking or dropping acid.

So, I don't think prohibiting it in public places is such an Orwellian ordeal.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:48 am
Bouton_dOr

Smoking should be allowed anywhere outdoors. As for indoors, it should be up to whatever establishment it is to decide. Then people that don't want to be around smoke can decide not to go there!

Lol why can't it be up to the smokers to choose not to go there? If you wanna give yourself cancer, fine. That's your right. But what about my right to NOT get cancer and die because of some other person's choice? I mean, we're talking about something that adversely affects innocent people's health. It's not like they're banning ipods, or sneakers, or something.  

Agent Ginrei

Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces