Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AvilesC

7,050 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:40 pm
So I live in a part of California were the wether is constantly anoying. After last year having all the holloween deco fly half way across the block from the wind I decided to set it up with stronger suports so it would fly away....aparently the wind gods have a funy idea of humor. The wind was even stronger this year tearing apart not only the decorations but also the suports. Spikes were snaped tie downs were broken and sum of the decorations actualy got damaged this time around.... question is... is it worth it? Should I bother decoration anymore if this is gona keep hapining. I injoy decorating the house for the hollidays and love the reactions I get from people who c what a great job I did. What should I do?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Depends. What sort of supports are you using? How are you reinforcing your decorations? What sort of decorations are you putting up? What's the wind speed over there?  

shall she sail seas

AvilesC

7,050 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:26 pm
Not sure on the wind speed but one this was toombstones and a creepy fence. The fence was suported with tie downs and the toombstones withpikes i guess u would call them deep in the ground and deep in the toombstone. the pikes were metal or plastioc. the plastic ones snaped the metal ones were torn out of the ground the tie downs were riped apart....i was sooo pissed off.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:05 am
Tombstone pikes: how deep exactly? In feet or meters. Plastic isn't too sturdy. Metal, maybe.... as long as it's not overly malleable. You're probably better off with wood and making a base underneath the ground that's parallel to the ground. But then, I don't know how you feel about digging up your lawn and crap for that.....  

TheHellDevil

AvilesC

7,050 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:55 pm
Im just gona give up on it. im a mil. cop and the base has a bunch of rediciculis rules about diging up the ground and stuff like that so ill probly never get to have the decorations suported the way they need to be. Thanx for the advice tho guys.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:45 pm
You sound like you might live near me smile The wind has been down right brutal this year.

One neat trick is something I found in the pet aisle. It's a small pet stake. It is a small metal anchor that has a wire attachment to it. You pound the anchor part into the ground with the small stake that comes with the package. You remove the stake and only the wire part stays above ground. They can hold quite a bit. If you replace the wire with a higher grade, it really works great. The only problem is that the wire is so small that if you don't mark the place, you can lose it. I tie my electric christmas reindeer to them so I can have them out all the time and even lock them to the ground so they don't "relocate" to someone else's possession.

It's not a hard set up to make if you're hand with tools. It's just a piece of metal the shape of a slender thick arrowhead. The wire is inserted in the head of the arrow and has a loop at the end to attach things to. The stake is a slender rod that is heavy duty enough to take a pounding. It should go into the ground about six inches or more. The farther it goes the stronger it is.

Instead of giving up, try that. It is very discreet, so people probably won't even know you've done it. When you move, you just clip the wires and who cares about a few pieces of metal in the ground?  

Etoile de la Mer

Advice Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff