Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Advice Forum
Anyone with Expirence using I.U.D contraceptives.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

IssacPhenix

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:41 am
(Please excuse the first post. I'm a member, but I'm using this account to remain anonymous from certain people that are also a member of this guild.Not that I have nothing against them, I just don't want what I say on my main being used against me on, oh say, MSN or something..)

Anyway, Here's the current situation. I'm going to be staying for a month and a half with my girlfriend (She lives out of state), during Christmas. Anyway, one of the things she told me was that she was having problems with her normal birth control pills (They were making her sick, and crotchety), and that was when she told me she was going to use an I.U.D. This time.

Now, some facts about us before I ask my questions:
We've both only had 1 partner (Her me, and Me her)
NEITHER of us have an STD
and we both practice SOMEWHAT Safe sex (Somewhat Safe because, you know, condoms and BC STILL arent 100% effective)
and we both do plan on being parents sometime in the next 10+ years

So, my question is (for those that have experience with these)

1. Does this mean I need to be more careful when partaking of certain "acts" with her because of the string that's left in for her to make sure everything with it is ok

2. How are the odd's of getting pregnant when compared against using Condoms and Birth control at the same time?

3. Has anyone had any "bad" experiences with these things?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:02 am
I speak on explicit experience from a health care perspective... and please understand.. to explain what might and what might not happen is not really something someone can say.

I would strongly advise the BOTH of you to go to that visit together to ask your questions to a qualified MD or to whom ever she plans to see. The physician can answer these questions better because they have access to statistics on symptoms and whatnot.

Personally, I wouldnt use an IUD because of known complications. Its a personal choice of the woman who is contemplating it. Pros and Cons help a woman determine what is right for her, and that can be better explained by the doctor..

Besides the obvious of why she wants this, no one knows of her medical history, and Im willing to bet not even you... her medical history combined with the potential use of an IUD is something that the doctor can determine what the signs/symptoms might impact on her.

This is kinda like "if he/she takes this drug, what will it do to me?" Its always better to discuss this with the physician.  

Wixandrettas

Taxi Mama

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:25 pm
1, 2: Seems like you need to go to a health website and do some research.

3: My mom got an IUD put in after she'd had 2 babies already. She had it taken out after 4 months because she could tell she was getting pregnant every month and then miscarrying (because the IUD made the womb unable to support the fertilized egg). It was very upsetting for her, but others might not mind.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:31 pm
The whole point of the gynocology field is for things like this. From my experience, there is so much gossip associated with different forms of birth control.

Who would you rather trust - someone who's body may be different? Or someone who works with facts and different people's body types?

Also - just a note: an IUD is very expensive.  

Shinigami Unity

Wixandrettas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:49 pm
Shinigami Unity
Also - just a note: an IUD is very expensive.

AMEN SISTER.. you got THAT right!

I do the billing for IUD's... Mirena alone, in the state of New Hampshire is an average of $550.00 EACH!!! And that is for the IUD ONLY, not including the office visit! As an example: New Hampshire Medicaid covers it without any prior-authorization.

Each insurance will have different policies. There are a few out there that WONT cover this... I would HIGHLY suggest anyone to call the telphone number on the back of their insurance card to call ahead and make sure these types of items are covered before you are hit with a shock before walking into the appointment thinking you are having one inserted...

Advice Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games