Sparkly Gekko

7,225 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:02 pm
DemonGraveWolf
ladycrotalus
Bettas do need to go up for air. Ive heard of bettas getting trapped in a decoration and dieing because it couldnt get to the surface for air, even in filtered aquariums. They use their gills more for flaring then breathing.

Where in the world do you get your information? eek The reason why the betta evolved the labryinth organ has to do with where they came from. In the shallow warm waters of the rice paddies they come from will sometimes get warm or shallow enough during hotter, drier seasons that the water they are living in has a very low oxygen content. In a tank with no filtration, weekly water changes will often help improve the oxygen content in the water. If the water is left to sit to long, the fish would be more likely to die from ammonia poisoning then oxygen deprivation. This is because when the water surface is disturbed it allows for oxygen transfer into the water. Filtered tanks will almost always have enough oxygen. Bettas do not need more oxygen then any other fish and their gills function just as well.

If a fish ever died from getting stuck in a decoration, it would be because it was injured from the decoration. Bettas also have a habit of wedging themselves into small areas to rest. My Quincey loves "sitting" in his plant. It may appear that they are stuck when they really aren't.

I also recommend a pea. Even if it doesn't cure him, it will still probably be a welcome treat.

And where do you get yours? Bettas arent just found in rice paddies, they are also found in rivers, lakes, ponds, ect..
Someone did experiments. I dont remember where i found the article but this person had a betta in highly oxygenated water but made it so the betta couldnt get the surface. It died. There is more to it and he did other things but i cant remember where i found it. When i had bettas, i had a couple of them each in their own filtered aquariums and they still went to the surface to get oxygen quite often.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:42 am
Betta's shouldnt be living in streams. They cant handle the water current. It rips their fins , and they are slow swimmers, so they would be a easy meal. I agree with Demon wolf. Betta's live in rice patties, and when teh drier season does come, the water level lowers, and the temp goes up. When the temp goes up, the water loses its ability to hold a sustainable amount of oxygen in it.  

Kribensis

ladycrotalus

Sparkly Gekko

7,225 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:54 am
Kribensis
Betta's shouldnt be living in streams. They cant handle the water current. It rips their fins , and they are slow swimmers, so they would be a easy meal. I agree with Demon wolf. Betta's live in rice patties, and when teh drier season does come, the water level lowers, and the temp goes up. When the temp goes up, the water loses its ability to hold a sustainable amount of oxygen in it.

In the wild, betta splendens does not have the long fins.
This is a wild betta. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. also known as Plakat. The bettas with the long fins and different colors are from people selective breeding them over centuries.

My info comes from 3 different books, the fact that i work with bettas every day and i used to have over 13 of them, a few of them living to be around 4-5 yrs old. The secret to that is to house them in a 3-5 gallon filtered and heated tank. Bowls are for candy or flowers, not fish.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:55 pm
Im not saying your wrong, but i just dont get it. Because males want to beat the crap out of eachother, lots in a stream or river or lake would end in disaster. Besides, the current would ruin the buble nest. But, in indiviual rice patties, there is no current ( the rice water logs what ever current that is in there), and and there is plenty of room for the males to hide if there happens to be more than one in there. Plus, why would God give them a labrynith system if they werent goign to need it?  

Kribensis

Akiska

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:05 pm
1 Betta prefer the still water areas due to the way they reproduce. So while they ARE found in rice paddies in certain areas, they are also found in slow moving streams that have eddies, and in ponds.

2. Betta fish in the wild are actually hardier shorter finned versions of our delta, combtail, whatever you prefer. If you've never seen a betta in a big tank you're missing out, those babies zoom.

3. The labrynith system is in part in place to help the fish in lower oxygenated waters, because yes, warmer water holds less oxygen. Also, how else would they build their nests without it?

As for the thread creators betta, chances are it's just old, Betta in captivity especially those that come from petstore backgrounds haven't had the best in care, and are at times almost 2 years old before even being sold to the pets stores. In that case their lifespan with their new owners are signifigantly shortened to just a couple of years at best.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:23 pm
My betta die today crying crying crying . It was live when I got home , but around 6pm I want to clean the small tank( the tank I put him when sick) then he was not move at all , just lying on the ground.

I feel so bad that I want to hurt my self ( little bit ) for let him die.
I try my best at save him , I try feeling him peas and clean the tank every day.  

Himeko-14

Moon-Sugar-Kitten Two

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:27 pm
Himeko-14
My betta die today crying crying crying . It was live when I got home , but around 6pm I want to clean the small tank( the tank I put him when sick) then he was not move at all , just lying on the ground.

I try my best at save him , I try feeling him peas and clean the tank every day.

Your sentences don`t make sense.
And im sorry,it was his time to go to fish heaven.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:38 pm
Moon-Sugar-Kitten Two
Himeko-14

Your sentences don`t make sense.
And im sorry,it was his time to go to fish heaven.

Sorry I was so sad that I was not think well,

At lest he not in pain any more.  

Himeko-14

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:52 pm
sorry about your fish. hey, you didd much more than most betta owners just by asking for help so dont feel bad  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:40 pm
You did your best. Your fish would appreciate that. 3nodding My condolences. I am sorry. cry  

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Rainbow Bridge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers