Do YOU remember when... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Karill

Tipsy Vampire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:17 pm
Yeaaah, I'm with Corbin on this one, though on the other 'side'. I'm sick of boomers pointing at us later gens and self-righteously detailing every single way we're screwed up, but conveniently forgetting that *they* were the ones to bring us up (wasn't the 80s the "Me" decade?). xp

@OP: I'm sure this wasn't really the conversation you were meaning to start, so my apologies, but I'm a bit frustrated with some Boomer mentalities, and your essay detailed some of those.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:14 pm
Monica65
Hmm, that was fun. For those of you who enjoyed it, you're welcome. For Corbin, I'm sorry that it upset you. I'm sure all the generations, even before us, bitched about how good the younger generation have it. I don't remember ALL that stuff either. Hell, by the time I knew who Annette Funicello was, she was doing movies with Elvis. Didn't even know who the guy with the horse was 'til my Mom told me today. I think she said Roy Rogers. I tried to put a poll on it asking how much of it people remembered, but it didn't work. The other day I had someone tell me how terrible the world is. My response was that there is good and bad all over this planet. Some think the world is terrible and others think it's wonderful. The Libran in me sees both. It's balanced. The good changes bring about bad results as well. The women's movement was good for women, but it took them out of the home to raise their children and the 2 person income made the economy require that a household HAD to have a 2 person income to get by. Yes it's wonderful that society is more aware of various abuses to women and children, but innocent people get accused of those atrocities just out of spite and have doubt placed on their reputations for many years afterward. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change women's rights or the courage of those women and children who speak up against their abusers. I'm just saying that for every good change a bad result can come from it. Although, so far I've seen no lasting negative effect from treating people with darker skin with the same respect we would someone with lighter skin.

Anyway, the person that this originated from may have some bitches about the world today, but I like it all (then and now). My only goal was to invoke good memories. Perhaps I should have done like Lil Brat and just reminesced off the top of my head. But I thought parts of it were fun. Sorry Corbin :kisses on cheek:
Oh my goodness, your response was like a breath of fresh air compared to the rest of Gaia's forums. I think this is the first time I have read a civilized response to a rant/gripe, here. I am SO glad that I was invited to this guild.  

Suede_Shoes

Monica65

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:25 pm
Karill
Yeaaah, I'm with Corbin on this one, though on the other 'side'. I'm sick of boomers pointing at us later gens and self-righteously detailing every single way we're screwed up, but conveniently forgetting that *they* were the ones to bring us up (wasn't the 80s the "Me" decade?). xp

@OP: I'm sure this wasn't really the conversation you were meaning to start, so my apologies, but I'm a bit frustrated with some Boomer mentalities, and your essay detailed some of those.

Hey guy, it's ok. It's been kinda interesting reading. I'm sorry this flared something in you guys, but at the same time, at least it gave you a place to vent your frustrations.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:27 pm
Suede_Shoes
Monica65
Hmm, that was fun. For those of you who enjoyed it, you're welcome. For Corbin, I'm sorry that it upset you. I'm sure all the generations, even before us, bitched about how good the younger generation have it. I don't remember ALL that stuff either. Hell, by the time I knew who Annette Funicello was, she was doing movies with Elvis. Didn't even know who the guy with the horse was 'til my Mom told me today. I think she said Roy Rogers. I tried to put a poll on it asking how much of it people remembered, but it didn't work. The other day I had someone tell me how terrible the world is. My response was that there is good and bad all over this planet. Some think the world is terrible and others think it's wonderful. The Libran in me sees both. It's balanced. The good changes bring about bad results as well. The women's movement was good for women, but it took them out of the home to raise their children and the 2 person income made the economy require that a household HAD to have a 2 person income to get by. Yes it's wonderful that society is more aware of various abuses to women and children, but innocent people get accused of those atrocities just out of spite and have doubt placed on their reputations for many years afterward. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change women's rights or the courage of those women and children who speak up against their abusers. I'm just saying that for every good change a bad result can come from it. Although, so far I've seen no lasting negative effect from treating people with darker skin with the same respect we would someone with lighter skin.

Anyway, the person that this originated from may have some bitches about the world today, but I like it all (then and now). My only goal was to invoke good memories. Perhaps I should have done like Lil Brat and just reminesced off the top of my head. But I thought parts of it were fun. Sorry Corbin :kisses on cheek:
Oh my goodness, your response was like a breath of fresh air compared to the rest of Gaia's forums. I think this is the first time I have read a civilized response to a rant/gripe, here. I am SO glad that I was invited to this guild.

Well thank you. It's nice to have someone respond favorably to my over-sweetness. It seems to turn some people off. Oh well, I won't stop being nice.  

Monica65

Nei1

Toxic Punk

24,350 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:23 pm
Monica65
To Nei1: That's all true. I agree with all of it except, "And then some of our top officials said that it doesn't matter what we do in
private as long as we do our jobs. And we said, as long as I have a job and the economy is good, it doesn't matter to me what anyone does in private." It doesn't matter what someone does in private, so long as it doesn't hurt someone else. But the rest of it is so true. Once again, good intentions with some bad results.

I think it was a reference to what Clinton was doing as president.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:59 pm
Nei1
Monica65
To Nei1: That's all true. I agree with all of it except, "And then some of our top officials said that it doesn't matter what we do in
private as long as we do our jobs. And we said, as long as I have a job and the economy is good, it doesn't matter to me what anyone does in private." It doesn't matter what someone does in private, so long as it doesn't hurt someone else. But the rest of it is so true. Once again, good intentions with some bad results.

I think it was a reference to what Clinton was doing as president.

It may have been. What he was doing with Lewinski and others was definitely wrong, but that was between Hilary and him. I don't think the whole world needed to be aware of his indiscretions. That's one thing I don't like today. High profile people aren't allowed to have private lives. The whole world knows what they did wrong for years afterward and it stands out in peoples minds ahead of the good they've done. I never was a big Britney Spears fan, but I think it would be easier for her to get her head on straight if the whole world didn't know about the psycho s**t she's done.  

Monica65

X Dark Serge X

Greedy Businessman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:52 am
Adam West FTW... the rest... heck Im not even American (yes I live in the continent... just not "american") to get the other ones...  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:39 pm
Monica65
Karill

Hey guy, it's ok. It's been kinda interesting reading. I'm sorry this flared something in you guys, but at the same time, at least it gave you a place to vent your frustrations.

I know you certainly didn't post it in meaning of how I took it, but people interpret things differently. Nor do I think the people here behave in the manner I crabbed about. It simply poked at a nerve of mine.  

Karill

Tipsy Vampire

Monica65

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:33 pm
Karill
Monica65
Karill

I know you certainly didn't post it in meaning of how I took it, but people interpret things differently. Nor do I think the people here behave in the manner I crabbed about. It simply poked at a nerve of mine.

That's cool, like I said, at least you got a chance to get it off your chest. Venting here doesn't do as much harm as venting irl.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:27 pm
No way could I just send my kids out to play for all daylight hours like my parents did me! We live on a busy corner, not in the middle of a long suburban block.

There's no manual for raising children. Even if you watched your parents raise 4 kids successfully, that doesn't mean you won't screw up. Especially since society is changing faster and faster, driven by technological advances and how "nobody stays in one place anymore." The issues facing my kids are not the same ones I faced; I talk to them, listen to them, and help them figure out how to deal.

But I am raising a couple of smart, healthy kids, despite the odds. I use my head, my heart, and sometimes my guts. They are 17 and 13, and I could hardly be more proud of them. They are articulate, passionate, funny, respectful, physically active, and beautifully slim. the older one has alternantely thanked & cursed me for instilling good food habits in her and for being nosy and welcoming toward her friends. Eventually, the younger one will, too!

Taxi Mama

Kiriad

Sugary Friend

24,790 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:24 pm
OMG!!!!
I do remember The Last Unicorn!!!! Such a beautiful movie....
I saw it in DVD the other day in Best Buy.... damn why didn't I bought it stressed  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:47 am
Hehe, see Memory returns, all it needs is a little mechanical agitation  

Draconian Pheonix

Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out