Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply T3h Movie World
Zombie Flicks

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think of George A. Romero's works as a whole?
  Great! I don't even watch anything else when it comes to zombies!!
  Pretty good; he did invent the genre after all
  Eh, so-so. I've seen some of his films and wasn't too impressed
  Romero is a hack! I don't care if he's "invented," zombies, he hasn't produced a single decent film
  Who... ?
View Results

CentraliaSG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:37 am
Hey, I'm new here, so forgive me if this is a repost, but I wanna start a discussion about zombie flicks as a genre. I don't really wanna argue if it's a genre or not, just discuss the films.

Background Info: George A. Romero started zombie films with Night of the Living Dead. Since, he has directed/produced Dawn of the Dead(the original), Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead, and recently Diary of the Dead.

Other notable zombie films I've come across are 28 Days/Weeks Later, Dawn of the Dead remake, and Shaun of the Dead. Yeah, I've also seen House of the Dead and the Day of the Dead remake, but I think it's best to pretend those just never happened...

If y'all can remember a film or series I've forgotten, feel free to give a shout out. I'm really not sure why I'm putting this part in, I guess I just feel it makes the thing more complete or something...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:42 am
I saw Diary last night, and it spurred conversation among me and my friends. Personally, I thought Diary of the Dead was a good film that was only inhibited by the fact that it was produced by Romero. See, he's the guy who invented zombies, and yet he's also the guy chiefly responsible for ignoring everything that zombies have become.

His films, Diary and Land, both decided that the film would be more exciting of zombieism were even less believable, and EVERYONE who died became undead. Regardless of whether they were bit. For me, that just ruins a lot of the suspense, and totally upsets what I've come to know and love about zombies...

Other than that, I thought Diary of the Dead was a pretty good film. It wasn't just about zombies; it had a lot about the effects of mass media and blogging on how we perceive/understand disasters of such a large scale. The film was set around college students who happened to be shooting a movie when the dead started walking, so they decided to make a documentary. It's intercut with footage they found from other people.

I dunno, Diary was a fantastic movie in some areas, but there were definitely times when the "message" Romero was trying to go after got in the way of the zombies, and I can't forgive the "every dead person comes back" type of deal... What do you guys think?  

CentraliaSG

CentraliaSG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:51 am
Also, how does everyone feel about the Dawn of the Dead remake? Personally, I thought it was a fantastic blood movie. It actually introduced me to how cool zombie flicks can be.

Criticisms of the film have cited its inability to stick to the plot Romero actually laid down and that it doesn't actually make you want the humans to survive. Romero himself wrote "It was better than I expected. [...] The first 15, 20 minutes were terrific, but it sort of lost its reason for being. It was more of a video game. I'm not terrified of things running at me; it's like Space Invaders. There was nothing going on underneath."

How does everyone feel about this? Does there need to be something "underneath" a zombie film, or is the fact that the dead are coming back with a vengeance plot enough?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:21 pm
I never really liked zombie movies until 28 Days Later and Shaun of the Dead. I think these movies added life to the zombie franchise, well for me anyway.

I can't wait to see Diary of the Dead. Does anyone have any comments on this movie?  

rocksteadyandbebop

rocksteadyandbebop

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:32 pm
3ffigy
Also, how does everyone feel about the Dawn of the Dead remake? Personally, I thought it was a fantastic blood movie. It actually introduced me to how cool zombie flicks can be.

Criticisms of the film have cited its inability to stick to the plot Romero actually laid down and that it doesn't actually make you want the humans to survive. Romero himself wrote "It was better than I expected. [...] The first 15, 20 minutes were terrific, but it sort of lost its reason for being. It was more of a video game. I'm not terrified of things running at me; it's like Space Invaders. There was nothing going on underneath."

How does everyone feel about this? Does there need to be something "underneath" a zombie film, or is the fact that the dead are coming back with a vengeance plot enough?

The remake of Dawn of the Dead was ok. The guy that lived in the gun shop, why didnt he use all his ammo to kill as many zombies has he could? That part frustrates me to no end.
Next time anyone is trapped in a gun store they should try and take out as many of the undead before their food runs completely out.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:09 pm
3ffigy
His films, Diary and Land, both decided that the film would be more exciting of zombieism were even less believable, and EVERYONE who died became undead. Regardless of whether they were bit. For me, that just ruins a lot of the suspense, and totally upsets what I've come to know and love about zombies...

He didn't add this to Diary and Land alone. When Romero invented the genre we know it now, he ALWAYS had this rule. Everyone who dies comes back as a zombie no matter what, unless their brain is damaged in their death. This was true in Night of the Living Dead ( 1968 ), it was true in the original Dawn of the Dead ( 1978 ), and it was true in the original Day of the Dead ( 1985 ).

I don't think it makes his films any less believable. The films have a very rigid and unchanging set of rules, unlike most zombie franchises. Romero never goes in to explaining why the zombies exist, which also make his rules free for expression. It's never confirmed as being any one thing, however, there are a number of theories addressed in his films- a mutation via radiation (the mutation only showing signs post-mortem), a virus, punishment from God, and Vodou are a few of the discussed possibilities.

Because Romero never attaches himself to the viral theory, a bite wouldn't essentially be the ONLY way for a person to become a zombie.  

GilAskan

GilAskan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:14 pm
rocksteadyandbebop
The remake of Dawn of the Dead was ok. The guy that lived in the gun shop, why didnt he use all his ammo to kill as many zombies has he could? That part frustrates me to no end.
Next time anyone is trapped in a gun store they should try and take out as many of the undead before their food runs completely out.

A few reasons-

1) The zombies are smart enough to have their attention drawn. The more he fires guns, the more zombies will show up. That would be bad for him.

2) If he runs out of ammo, what will he use to protect himself in the case he has a window of escape? Conserving ammunition and using it only when needed is prudent.

3) Aiming and firing guns for extended periods of time is very tiring. Why waste energy killing a few zombies when they'll soon be replaced with dozens more each who have been drawn in by the noise and lights? Wasting energy is particularly problematic while running out of food.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:42 pm
GilAskan
rocksteadyandbebop

A few reasons-

1) The zombies are smart enough to have their attention drawn. The more he fires guns, the more zombies will show up. That would be bad for him.

2) If he runs out of ammo, what will he use to protect himself in the case he has a window of escape? Conserving ammunition and using it only when needed is prudent.

3) Aiming and firing guns for extended periods of time is very tiring. Why waste energy killing a few zombies when they'll soon be replaced with dozens more each who have been drawn in by the noise and lights? Wasting energy is particularly problematic while running out of food.

good points but i think they could've done better by using the gasoline
tanks earlier on instead of near the end so they could've got him and waitied it off but then again they would have ran out of food and water supply would be low then they would revert to cannibalism and then it would revert to them be psychopath and it would be pointless
that why i think did alright to me but it a zombie flick would you think was going to happen
they live forever and have an infinite amount of food i doubt it  

xTx Monty xTx

BloodandIvory

Vicious Reveler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:52 am
best thing to come out of zombie mania:

The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks

that said, with the believability problem....the whole thing is so unbelievable that I find myself asking, who cares if its bit vs. rising from the grave?

I would love to see a believable zombie film, but it wouldn't be the constant carnage we're adjusted to, and would have to have roots in voodo.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:21 pm
I love Shaun of the Dead. I know its a parody but the zombies were still pretty good and it was hilarious.  

Chokolate Thief

Misfit_the

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:04 pm
Poultrygeist is a very entertaining zombie movie  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:59 pm
The zombies in Slither were gross and funny.  

rocksteadyandbebop

Gwion Vaughn

Shameless Man-Lover

38,550 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:38 am
Actually, in Romero films, everyone does come back whether bitten or not. Go rent the movie that started it all, Night of the Living Dead. In it, the recent dead in the cemetery attack the couple in the first scene. They are not bight victims. Having bites only spred it comes from later movies by other people. It's not fair to expect Romero to make his movies consistent with movies by other people when it contraducts continuity with his earlier movies.

Diary of the Dead annoyed me as the main characters were so boring and self absorbed. I'd rather have watched that inner city collective for an hour and a half. That said, I loved the ending at the mansion.

My main problem with the Dawn of the Dead Remake is that i don't approve of fast zombies. I also prefer zombies that eat anything living ala Romero. That dog should have been steak. Otherwise, i liked it. Poor Andy.  
T3h Movie World

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games