Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Advice Forum
Getting Ready to Go Back to School... After Looong Hiatus.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you plan on going back to college?
Yes, eventually
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
No, Already Graduated
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
No way hose! I'm Free... FREE
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Gimme some gold.
33%
 33%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 15

Momma Mira

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:58 am
Alright, I finally paid back my student loans for my failed college career and am ready to try that whole college thing again in a year or so.
Here's the problem, I'm 27 and already have one child, and Hubby and I do want more. The last time I was in college was to get my Early Childhood diploma so I can work in daycare. Also, I'm not sure if my mental capacity is still all there.

But! I'm willing to work hard and get back on that horse after a good six years. I'm planning on trying for a BS in nursing, which while isn't my dream job, it's practical for my family's needs.

Any advice on how to get started? I'm already at the college board site and have looked at a few colleges nearby that I can easily commute to. I plan on starting the application process soon, which means I'm looking at the 2010 to 2011 school year for starting school.

ninja  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:00 pm
wherever you go, talk to the financial aid office. often there are "hidden" scholarships that you aren't told about unless you go searching. i recommend talking to a financial aide counselor if there is one. Also don't feel timid about visiting the school first and sitting in on some potential classes you might take. This will help you get a "feel" for the school so you can decide if it is for you.  

lady leko-chan

Desirable Sex Symbol

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:27 am
Twighlight Mira
Alright, I finally paid back my student loans for my failed college career and am ready to try that whole college thing again in a year or so.
Here's the problem, I'm 27 and already have one child, and Hubby and I do want more. The last time I was in college was to get my Early Childhood diploma so I can work in daycare. Also, I'm not sure if my mental capacity is still all there.

But! I'm willing to work hard and get back on that horse after a good six years. I'm planning on trying for a BS in nursing, which while isn't my dream job, it's practical for my family's needs.

Any advice on how to get started? I'm already at the college board site and have looked at a few colleges nearby that I can easily commute to. I plan on starting the application process soon, which means I'm looking at the 2010 to 2011 school year for starting school.

ninja

Go to financial aid, look it up, but as for the classes, although things have gotten harder, be ready for long nights, long days, and little sleep.

If you and your family are ready for that, then there is honestly nothing stopping you. Determination, in the end, and how hard you are willing to work for it, are going to be the only things that will prove if you're ready or not.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:20 pm
Thanks biggrin
Yeah... I kinda figured on little sleep, I'm not going to be goofing off this time around. (If only I knew then...)

And going to a financial aid counselor is actually a really good idea. I guess I better get on the ball! 3nodding  

Momma Mira

iggies

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:39 pm
This brings back memories. I was 28 when I started college, I just graduated in '07 with degree #1, but also was working on degree #2 (life got in the way again and I have to wait again).

I was scared that I'd be the oldest student there.... nope many students in my age group and older (One lady finally got her degree at age 79? and her mother was still alive and at the ceremony).

The best time for the most financial aide is to fill out FASFAs (it can be done on line and renewed on line) in Dec. (or that was the soonest we could apply for the up coming year). Ask for any hidden grants and scholarships. I think there might be a way to google scholarships too.

Where I went they also had a daycare, but you had to apply way in advance and hope. And I agree, make sure your family is ready to support you. I graduated with honors, and for a dyslexic (but then I was enrolled in the disabilities program that works with many things), I never thought it was possible, so don't worry, your mental capacity's still there.

Just some programs too to look for if they would apply for your needs.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:55 pm
omg. research, research, research. And find a good school that you can harass when you have issues.

I go to a tech school in ND - by far more expensive than other places I could go. But I really really like it because they help me with FAFSA issues, life issues, job issues, etc. They have random drawings for gift certificates to help build your business wardrobe and stuff like that.

I found a good fit in a school and I'm sure you will too. Just never forget to communicate tenaciously.  

Shinigami Unity

Shinigami Unity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:56 pm
Oh I forgot - www.petersons.com is a great place to go if you're looking for scholarship information. You just tell them a few things about yourself - like age, gender, type of degree and it gives you a matched list of scholarships you're probably eligible for and how to apply for them.

Yeah - that was a run on. I'm trying to write a term paper. sweatdrop  
Advice Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff