Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply T3h Movie World
The Movie "9" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Oshi the Killer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:15 pm
Rosary16
I saw it on the 10th, the day after it came out, and I loved it! I saw it a second time with my friends, Sara and Kelsey, and they liked it, too.
Very haunting, but throughly enjoyable.
How was it haunting actually? Have you seen the Animatrix?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:56 pm
Oshi the Killer
Rosary16
I saw it on the 10th, the day after it came out, and I loved it! I saw it a second time with my friends, Sara and Kelsey, and they liked it, too.
Very haunting, but throughly enjoyable.
How was it haunting actually? Have you seen the Animatrix?

No, I haven't seen Animatrix. Tell me what it's about.
The haunting aspect of 9 is kind of hard to explain, but I'll try my best.
If you've seen the short film, that movie focused on the dread and wonder of this dark, post-apocalyptic world, but this version focused more on the dread. The film begins with this new creation, a burlap sack doll, or "stitchpunk" whose name is a number and who has no idea why he's here, wakes up in a dark, desolate post-apocalyptic wasteland instead of someplace light and beautiful.
The soul-sucking scenes, despite not being gory, weren't pretty.
Unlike other animated movies where the villians do things for stupid, cliche reasons, the monsters of this film did things with no intention other than to destroy all life. They had no agenda, no greater purpose for relentlessly hunting 9 and his friends other than to destroy them because the stitchpunks are all of what's left of humanity. The villian who does evil for no purpose is the scariest villian of all.
I could go on, but I don't know if you've seen the movie or not. If you have, I'll be happy to explain further.  

Rosary16

Oshi the Killer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:29 am
The reason to me that the machines turned on humanity was they saw us as a threat. In the Animatrix several animators explore different stories of the Matrix. One such story is why the machines turn on us. Trust me we really had it coming. I'm not very good at describing things but I'll do my best. The machines started off as typical slaves. But as time moved on they decided they wanted equal rights. Just like in the days of segregation in the US we weren't cool with that. The machines decided to start their own country and try to have their own seat on the UN. We were still dicks and turn on the ambassador. So they declared war and turned us all into batteries because all of humanity are a-holes. Well thats the best I could do. i thought it had a better story than 9. 9 was just boring.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:45 pm
Nice! I'll check it out.
I agree with you on we had it coming. Our society has become so materialistic that we just might materialize ourselves into extinction.
I liked 9 because some of the characters reminded me of people I know. 5 reminded me of a couple of my friends, 2 reminded me of my grandparents, 3&4's curiousity and eagerness to know everything reminded me of kids I've babysat. My favorite character was 6. Being an artistic person myself, I grew fond of 6 quickly. He's manic, but real sweet. My favorite scene is when the ash from the burning church is falling down and 6 is trying to catch a piece of ash. I found that scene kind of sweet.
The story was plain, but in Acker's defense, it was a short turned into a feature length. Turning a short into a longer piece is hard to do depending on how the short was written. For a short turned feature, I thought it was pretty good.
As much as I hate, hate, hate cliche endings, I found myself secretly wishing that 9 would be able to put the souls of the dead stitchpunks back into their bodies and bring them back to life, but that would cliche and I like how we see the dead stitchpunks' souls go up to Heaven instead of being recycled into the universe or something weird like that. That's what I got out of it, but that's just my opinion.  

Rosary16

Beranyth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:09 pm
I liked this movie, but 9 himself bugged me. He seemed your traditional annoying-kids' movie-protagonist. I loved the other characters, though, especially 5.

I was bewildered at how much I loved the sound effects. Normally I don't walk out of a movie theater thinking, "Wow! I loved that movie! The sound effects were great!" But they really, really caught my attention here.

The story was pretty weak, but I really liked the overall feel of the movie. It was visually incredible, too.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:21 pm
Yes, I agree 9 shouldn't have awakened the machine. But there was a lot of story. You had the story about the Chancellor and the Scientist and how the machines killed humanity. You had 9's butting heads with 1, his friendship with 5, his relationship with 7, 5's bond with 2, etc. Even though it's no dramatic novella, it has a little bit of everything: War (machine vs. humans), action (lots of it), redemption, self-sacrifice (when 1 sacrifices his life so 9 can rescue the souls), symbolism, historical references (when they put a coin on 2's eyes before sending him into the water, that's a reference to when a Roman tradition where you would put two coins on the eyes of a deceased loved one and send their body on a boat into a river. The coins were to pay the gate keeper of Heaven so the soul could get in).
I like how it never tries to be a light-hearted cartoon or a Saw movie. It's dark and grim, but not littered with crude humor or blood and gore. I also like that they didn't do the 3-D thing. That would've been cliche and just too much. I'm glad Shane Acker didn't give it to Henry Selick or Pixar or Disney because they would've destroyed it.
Overall I loved it and I can't wait for the DVD, which is coming on Dec 29, the day before my birthday!  

Rosary16

T3h Movie World

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces