Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply T3h Movie World
Please Explain... (A Tale of Two Sisters/The Uninvited)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How did you like A Tale of Two Sisters?
  Loved it.
  It's 'kay.
  Didn't do it for me.
  Undecided.
  Didn't see it.
View Results

The Queen of Sighs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:06 pm
Can someone please explain to me the public opinions of the korean horror A Tale of Two Sisters and The Uninvited?

Ok. I thought the Uninvited looked pretty good from comercials. I went to see it, I was iffy. I knew I didn't dislike it, I just wasn't honestly sure how much I did like it. My friends however were impressed and gave me props for picking it out. I looked up reviews and it seems everyone hated it. Why? OK- one peice of critic, they could have shown a tighter bond between the sisters. True, true. But I still liked it. Infact, I've been in the mood to watch it again and I'm impatiently awaiting for the DVD release.

After I saw the Uninvited, I wanted to see what it was based off of, of course (A Tale of Two Sisters). I actually had really high hopes for it from how everyone was raving about it being one of the greatest horrors ever. I got my mom to inter-library-loan it for me and got my friends together to watch that two. ...not that impressed. Like a third through the movie, I was kind of getting embarassed after all the hype I made about seeing it. One of my two friends even fell asleep half way through. I'll admit, I've wanted to give it another try too, and I really don't know horrors well since my parents raised me staying away from them. This sounded like such a great one, I'd just like to ask... why? It wasn't horrible but... I didn't think it was great. Why is everyone so crazy about it? I didn't really get scared once, and there were a few parts that were kind of weird, or we didn't really get.

Please don't call me an idiot over this or anything. I only watched it once honestly, and I don't know horrors well at all. I'm trying to broaden my knowledge of them. Can anyone just point out to me why that one is so different from anything else? And why The Uninvited is being compared with The Unborn. (Really, thats just awful.)

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:15 pm
(Quick note: You don't need to worry about us ridiculing you; we're not that kind of guild. biggrin )

I honestly haven't seen either of these movies, but I commend you for taking initiative in trying to understand the films rather than just dismissing them because you didn't like/understand them.

But, if I were to take a stab at trying to understand the movie, I'd try looking at the character development (especially psychological when looking at a horror film) and the production values of the film (ie. given who was working on the film how did the film turn out visually and thematically). Also look at how complex or how simple the narrative (story and plot) of the film works in the film. Many reviews use these as criteria for evaluation. I'm sorry that I can't give you a solid answer, but I hope these suggestions help you in maybe finding your own understanding. biggrin  

RedWhiteBlack
Crew

Quixotic Faye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:11 am
The reviews you looked up probably were the kind written by people who think that American remakes of Asian films are atrocious no matter what. (Hell, I'm no stranger to that feeling.) The former seemed creepier because of the older sister's psychosis and the complex narrative she drew around herself in order to negate reality. The Uninvited, to me, was a straightforward horror film with an unexpected twist. That's probably the difference in opinion you've been seeing.  
T3h Movie World

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games