Welcome to Gaia! ::

-=Axis Powers Hetalia Guild=- PARTY AT RUSSIA'S PLACE!

Back to Guilds

The place to go for all your Hetalia needs. 

Tags: hetalia, manga, anime 

Reply Meeting Room
World War Books and Movies

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

necrophagette

Wheezing Dabbler

14,600 Points
  • Bunstroyer 100
  • Brilliant Light 450
  • Screeching Savior 100
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:54 pm
I figured that if we could have a thread about world news, that this one would be okay too, you know? If it's not, I'm sorry!

MOVIES:
Okay, so about World War One there's that movie "Fly Boys", which I've never seen, and "All Quiet on the Western Front".

World War Two: "Boy in the Striped Pajamas", "Empire of the Sun", "Swing Boys", "Life Is Beautiful", "Pearl Harbor", "Jakob the Liar", "Valkyrie", "The Devil's Brigade", "Saving Private Ryan", "Number the Stars", "Grave of the Fireflies"...

Oh, and Inglorious Bastards, which hasn't come out yet... but I'm excited for it!! Tarantino and Brad Pitt? Yeah, I'm all about it.

BOOKS:
I just got finished reading City of Thieves which is about the siege of Leningrad, and the Russian perspective on things. It was AMAZING. Seriously, read it if you're literate. I also read a totally amazing book called The True Story Of Hansel and Gretel which was about these two little jewish kids hiding from the Germans in Poland. Really sad, but really, really good.

I'm planning on reading 900 days, which is also about the siege in Russia. OH, and I just found out about this book: Roosevelt and Stalin: The Failed Courtship Just the title kills me. I totally want to read it when I get the chance...

And then, of course, we've all read The Diary of Anne Frank, and I read Number the Stars in 5th grade.

I'm sure there's a ton more books and movies, but I can't think of them just now. Soooo, who else has some good recs they'd like to share?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:49 pm
I only want to be...

User ImageUser ImageUser Image

oh number of the stars was a really good book..

User Image

...With you once again.

chiyo_xx

x_LoveObject_x
Crew

Versatile Sex Symbol

8,400 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:04 pm
Night, by Eli Wiesel is also very good. Teenage Jewish boy and his father going through the camps.  
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:49 pm
The assasination of hitler, yess a book about planning to assasinate hitler, and the nazi group  

- iShitake NomNom -

necrophagette

Wheezing Dabbler

14,600 Points
  • Bunstroyer 100
  • Brilliant Light 450
  • Screeching Savior 100
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:25 pm
I just saw Enemy at the Gates, which was about the Red Army :3 Starring Jude Law! Super good movie!!

Right now I'm reading a book called The Secret Betrayal by Nikolai Tolstoy ... it's about how screwed over the Russian people got by the war, and what happened to all the displaced people. So far, it's really good.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:29 pm
I've seen Flyboys, it's not bad.

Ah, I need to see Valkyrie. I have a MAJOR Stauffenberg obsession. And Tom Cruise looks good with an eye patch cool

So most of the World War books I've read are nonfictional ones about Stauffenberg. I think I've read some novels, but none come to mind.

There's a Pacific War museum a few hours drive from where I live. Not sure how that relates to anything, but it's where a lot of my WWII knowledge and love of history in general came from.

I've seen a lot more movies...OH WAIT. There's a French movie, Au Revoirs Les Enfants, that takes place during World War II. But I was watching it in French class, and I was really more interested in what the kid sitting next to me thought it was about than the REAL plot. I think the actual thing is about a Jewish kid who goes to a Catholic school in Nazi-occupied Paris to go undercover, and then there's this other kid who, I dunno, makes friends with him or something.  

Mubyou

Saigo no Uta

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:10 pm
I saw Schindler's List last week.

D:  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:25 pm
Oh man, so I just saw Action in the North Atantic, with good ol' Humphry Bogart <3 <3 Even though it's black and white (made in 1943) it's pretty much AWESOME...

It was soooo Alfred too... At the very beginning, the Nazis sink their boat and they all end up on a life boat, shouting at the Germans, and they see the Germans taking pictures of them, and they're like, "Hey! They're takin' pictures of us! We're gonna be on TV, boys! Hey, give 'em the thumbs up!" And every dude on the boat gave the Germans a big ol' sneering thumbs up, and the Germans were just like, "..... -_- "

There's also a super awesome part where they dock in Canada and like everybody and their mom (nation wise) shows up... and then I had a completely nerdy Hetalia moment because the British and the American flags were next to each other ._.

Anyway at the end they show up in Russia, and everybody's like, "It's a miracle!!" And this dude is like, "No... it's American Seamanship."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nt2FJMUqjI  

necrophagette

Wheezing Dabbler

14,600 Points
  • Bunstroyer 100
  • Brilliant Light 450
  • Screeching Savior 100

x_LoveObject_x
Crew

Versatile Sex Symbol

8,400 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:33 pm
I'm going to the National WWI museum tomorrow! o/  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:26 am
I just saw this flick called "Brother's War"... pretty low-budget kind of deal... I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did.

Basically it's in Poland at the end of the war, and the Russians are fighting against the Germans, but this British officer shows up and is like, asking for their plans and stuff... and he sees the NKVD offing a bunch of Polish dudes, so the Russians toss him in prison with the Germans. He meets this totally studly German there and they like, escape together and hook up with this Polish chick. I actually liked it a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETNmeeet41c  

necrophagette

Wheezing Dabbler

14,600 Points
  • Bunstroyer 100
  • Brilliant Light 450
  • Screeching Savior 100

necrophagette

Wheezing Dabbler

14,600 Points
  • Bunstroyer 100
  • Brilliant Light 450
  • Screeching Savior 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:33 pm
So I just watched this movie, Admiral (Адмиралъ) which is set during the 1917 Russian Revolution, and tells the story of Admiral Aleksandr Kolchak, leader of the liberal anti-Bolshevik White Army (as opposed to the soviet "red army").

I think it's set at the same time as Dr Zhivago, but I'm not entirely positive. Anyway, Kolchak is played by Konstantin Khabensky, who I kind of stalk... For those of you who haven't seen NightWatch or DayWatch, he was the Russian guy in Wanted... To be honest, he has always really, really reminded me of Ivan.

Anyway, Hetalia Ivan is more like Red!Ivan, but in my head, I've always wanted him to be White!Ivan (like when he talks to Lithuania about sunflowers...), and in that case, this movie is like, the perfect example to watch. But yeah, it totally made me cry for like the last 20 minutes. Russian movies are like always so sad. But yeah, just click on the link to watch it, with subs, on YouTube. It's not out in America.

User Image

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:10 pm
One of my favorite books of all time is Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli, which was about a gypsy boy and his friends during WWII. I thought it was great.

I still have to see Schindler's List. It's one of my boyfriend's favorite movies, he's like dying to show it to me. I told him I'd learn how to play the theme on my viola for him. XD  

zawazawaii

necrophagette

Wheezing Dabbler

14,600 Points
  • Bunstroyer 100
  • Brilliant Light 450
  • Screeching Savior 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:24 pm
Oh man, I love Gypsies... I'm totally going to have to read that now. And you know, this is really weird but I've never seen Schindler's list either. I have no idea why at this point...  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:20 pm
Okay, so I finally saw Schindler's List. It was REALLY good. D:  

necrophagette

Wheezing Dabbler

14,600 Points
  • Bunstroyer 100
  • Brilliant Light 450
  • Screeching Savior 100
Meeting Room

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash