Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is this a good question?
  Yes
  No
  Maybe?
  I don't know, I didn't understand a word you said.
View Results

Kid Generic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:02 pm
We strive for perfection to motivate us not to actually ever achieve it. Aiming for perfection simply means reaching higher always believing that you can do better and not to settle for less.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:06 pm
Why do we assume that perfection is not attainable?

We know already that perfection is certainly achivable in some areas. One can get a perfect score on a maths exam for example. Because the rules of mathematics are simple are finite and in no way open to interpretation, if all the questions are answered correctly then the test was indisputably completed perfectly.
In other areas however, 'perfect' is very subjective. An essay can get a perfect score from one teacher but not from another, and the music we love and can find no faults with is very often music our parents hate. Having said that, it is impossible to prove that these things can never achieve an intrinsically perfect form, only that it hasn't happened yet. One of the biggest world religions, Chrisiantiy, already believes in this pure perfection existing in a place called heaven. No one goes to heaven and decides the colour scheme in God's house isn't quite to their tastes and yet why shouldn't they, when everyone has different preferences regarding interior decorating? Maybe we just haven't found that combination yet.

As for what Farethewell said in her first post, that if we became perfect in everything we did we would no longer have anything to strive for, I don't think this is something to worry about. Humans are everyday finding new things they want to try; new ways of thinking, painting, cooking or trying to break world records regarding the person who can balance most spoons on their face. As we master exisitng practices, we shall create new practices to replace them, bceause we got bored, or for whatever other reason. It's in the nature of the human being to want to synthesise.

(Please forgive me if this post makes little sense or is crawling with typos. I'm sick, too lazy to proofread and typing on my mum's netbook which I'm not at all used to!)

LyricalSoul93

The Saiyan Warrior

O.G. Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:53 pm
Well as my Band Director Says, Chase Perfection and you might Catch Excellence.
Basically if you try to be the best, you'll be the best you can be. ^^

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:40 am
i think the point of striving for perfection is that you can never achieve it. so, it keeps you busy. i mean, we know we can never be perfect, but we try to see how close we can get, right?  

AThousandLullabies

5,650 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Lady Kira X

Caring Cleric

10,300 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:42 am
I wrote a research paper on this topic to graduate junior year -__-

Never want to do that again D:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:12 pm
who here thinks a perfectionist is someone who strives for perfection? that could be the case. as for me, pecfectionism is just striving to get things as close to perfect as i can get them without causing some sort of natural disaster. this is because i know that i can never be, do, or create anything perfect by the classic dictionary definition "without flaw" for me, being human is a flaw in itself because we always screw up: even geniouses make mistakes!  

Swim47

9,050 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Generous 100

thomlina

2,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:10 pm
I am not perfect.