Reply Advice Forum
Second Baby Shower? Need moms here------->

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

II Marie Antoinette II

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:53 pm
My first child (a girl) was born march 2nd, 2008 and we're expecting a boy this December, around Christmas. I already have a second crib, a new mattress on the way, all the basic toys and what not, and a cousin who's youngest boy just turned 2 is donating all her boys clothes so I won't be needing anything really. A few family members agreed that it would be cool to have a party for family to get together to celebrate the new baby, and two have suggested a Diaper Party, where guests bring a pack of diapers for the baby in various sizes. What I'd like to know is, is this kinda tacky to ask for diapers so soon after my last child? It's not really tradition around here, as we usually only have 1 party period. But more and more of my friends are throwing a party for every child. What should I do?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:25 pm
Sounds to me like the people that love you want to celebrate with you and share in this joyous occasion and throwing you a "diaper" baby shower is the only way they can think of to contribute to you and share in your happiness. I think it's just basically an excuse to share in your joy, so let them.  

Psyzapp
Crew

Ruthless Lover

10,250 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

Shinigami Unity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:59 pm
I had my first child in 2001 and my second in 2006. We had two baby showers because I had pretty much given up on having a second kid and got rid of all my stuff. I didn't find out until later that most people only have 1 baby shower and they're supposed to keep everything forever (which is silly when you live in a cramped apartment). My family was happy - this was the first and probably last girl born.

I say if your family would like to, go for it! It sounds like they want to celebrate, and this way you can make them happy. smile

I'm sure someone somewhere might find it offensive, but you know what? Kids grow fast. Diapers cost a lot of money. And babies are fun.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:42 pm
Thank you both for your answers. I'm really for the party in general, I just don't want to have it come across like I'm in it for the goods. I don't need anything, but any gifts would be loved in the cherished sense.  

II Marie Antoinette II

Purple Dragon Woman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:47 pm

Those diapers will be a blessing. Let them throw the party, they want to help you. I know all those diapers came in handy. If you find you have sizes you don't need, and you have not opened the pack, any store will exchange for a different size.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:54 am
You could also take anything that you don't use and donate it to a good cause or some other shelter of some sort. That way you and your family would be helping others less fortunate than yourselves. blaugh  

Psyzapp
Crew

Ruthless Lover

10,250 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

Tigerlily Danderfluff

850 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:11 am
I'm sure the party is done and gone and you most likely have the little blessing in your home already. heart I just wanted to throw in my two cents here.

Every child that enters your home should be celebrated! Gifts for second children do not need to be the heavy-hitters of the first shower (high chairs, etc.) but more specific to the new baby. What if the two are different sexes? You can't just clothe the second in all the stuff from the first! I agree with the diaper concept and when I host these types of parties, I strongly urge gifts of that sort. There are all sorts of items that you wouldn't share from one baby to the next. It makes the gift-giving less costly and more fun. Mom can always provide a list of items they have that need additional pieces (old bottles need new nipples!). I also sponsored one where all the gifts needed to be focused on the MOM not so much the baby. With multiple kids in the house, mommy needs a little extra love!  
Advice Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games