Reply The Japanese Student Guild
Flights to Japan

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AsukaTerra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:00 pm
Now, forgive me if there is a thread about this already. I know there's one for what you'll need to know for Japan, but I didn't see this in it nor any threads on this.

What about flights? Where would I need to look to book flights and what airlines travel there? What do the rates tend to be for just the flights alone (an example here would be for where I am in FL, but in general, I suppose)? I wouldn't need a hotel as I have friends there, but I suppose for others' benefit, put typical hotel prices as well, but separately?

On a similar note, what would you need in terms of visas, in addition to your passport? Beyond that, would there be anything else required? Any limitations on flights or specifics there that you'd need to know when going?

I'm wondering because I'm considering a trip next summer if I can manage to save enough, but I don't know where to start and, obviously, flights are generally much cheaper if you get them way in advance.

Thanks~  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:02 pm
A lot of airports head to Japan, but to make going to that specific country easier you may wanna give places like ANA(All Nippon Airways) and JAL (Japan Airlines) a spin, as they are more intimately familiar with the needs of people heading to Japan. This should give you a more detailed idea on what to do. People from the US can stay in Japan for up to 3 months without a visa, but any more will require you to have one, or they'll find you and give you the boot. The 3 major types are for tourists(which last 3 months), students(which can go 6 months to 2 years, depending on the kind of student) and business workers(which can be a minimum of 6 months for entertainers, and up to 3 years for all other kinds of business workers). More detailed information can be found here.  

Koiyuki
Vice Captain

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Blackninja3003

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:50 pm
isn't a one way ticket about $700 dollars depending on when you go. I was just wondering if that was right sorry for bugging you  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:33 pm
I looked around a little. First thing to note: they're pricy as hell. From where I am, in Tampa, it would cost me a minimum of $2000 to go. However, depending on your location, you can go rather cheap. I was looking last night on this on Priceline (though I'd love to look around at other places as well) and found if I were to fly to Philadelphia (price would depend there, but no more than $300 easy for two flights), stay for a night with family, take a train to NYC, and go through Kennedy Airport, I could get a round trip out of there for about $948, I think was the number. Not bad, all things considered but remember the biggest thing: location, location, location.

EDIT: Just double checked and the price would be $934 round trip from NYC-Tokyo and back. The service is "Asiana." Anyone know if they're any good? For the price I really suppose you can't complain but still...  

AsukaTerra

King-Kai91

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:03 pm
How long do the the flights take to get from America to Japan? Because someone I know, went to Japan and I think she said it took 24 hours. But I might be wrong anyone know, if that is correct or wrong?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:17 pm
A friend of mine went to Hong Kong last year and said that, yes, it was about a 24 hour flight. I might do similar myself for school in May (it's expensive though so I'm still debating).  

AsukaTerra

King-Kai91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:58 pm
AsukaTerra
A friend of mine went to Hong Kong last year and said that, yes, it was about a 24 hour flight. I might do similar myself for school in May (it's expensive though so I'm still debating).
Cool if you do have fun. biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:09 pm
King-Dartz
How long do the the flights take to get from America to Japan? Because someone I know, went to Japan and I think she said it took 24 hours. But I might be wrong anyone know, if that is correct or wrong?

Uhh, I think you can break your trip up into flights where you take breaks at certain airports. For me when I went to Hong Kong, I went from Toronto to Vancouver, Vancouver to Tokyo, Tokyo to Hong Kong. And I knew that took more than 24 hours as I stayed in the hotel in Vancouver and in Tokyo before I arrived in Hong Kong. I was little and I was glued to my gameboy colour so I didn't keep track of time back then.  

Hayash1

King-Kai91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:04 pm
Niceril
King-Dartz

Uhh, I think you can break your trip up into flights where you take breaks at certain airports. For me when I went to Hong Kong, I went from Toronto to Vancouver, Vancouver to Tokyo, Tokyo to Hong Kong. And I knew that took more than 24 hours as I stayed in the hotel in Vancouver and in Tokyo before I arrived in Hong Kong. I was little and I was glued to my gameboy colour so I didn't keep track of time back then.
Thanks for telling me of your experince. I don't know if she stoped at hotels like you, or just went straight to Japan. I know before she left Japan though she visited China and South Korea. Thanks again.  
The Japanese Student Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games