Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Advice Forum
insomnia/addiction to internet. how do i get to sleep???

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

gamerkitty87

11,250 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:40 am
i cant sleep because of the internet and i think its causing me to get insomnia  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:15 am
Well I understand your plight. I'm currently going through a phase of insomnia. I kinda am doing better. well, i'm sleeping at night again. lol that doesn't mean I don't take naps. XD. I must say I love naps.

What I did to kinda get back to sleeping at night was attempting to cut time online. Like I try to go to bed at 2am/3am. another thing to do is to stay up for 2 full days and crashing on the 2nd night. I kinda do a bit of both. some days it's i've been up for 2 days and plan on crashing on the 2nd night. sooo it's not perfect but it's working?  

Koichi Wing

Moonlight Lover

7,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Kamui_kusinagi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:21 pm
Koichi Wing
Well I understand your plight. I'm currently going through a phase of insomnia. I kinda am doing better. well, i'm sleeping at night again. lol that doesn't mean I don't take naps. XD. I must say I love naps.

What I did to kinda get back to sleeping at night was attempting to cut time online. Like I try to go to bed at 2am/3am. another thing to do is to stay up for 2 full days and crashing on the 2nd night. I kinda do a bit of both. some days it's i've been up for 2 days and plan on crashing on the 2nd night. sooo it's not perfect but it's working?

I've also had the same problem before and oddly enough I was going to give similar advice, however I crashed after one full 24 hr period rather than a 48 hr period.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:20 am
It's 5 AM here O.O

I used to blame my late night onlininess on insomnia, but I think it was just an internet addiction/refusal to go to bed. Just turn the comp off and lay down... you'll fall asleep eventually.  

Khymarea

Kairanha

Tipsy Streaker

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:31 am
It's the computer itself rather than the internet that causes insomnia and there are medical reasons behind it. The light from the monitor tricks the mind into believing that it's daylight and for most people daylight = should be awake so the body acts accordingly to keep the mind in an active state. It's a little bit different than just refusing to sleep which under normal circumstances eventually a person would crash out, but like I said the monitor light tricks the body's natural responses.

Best thing to do is turn off the computer after a certain time to ensure that you'll sleep properly.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:18 pm
Kai_Lucas
It's the computer itself rather than the internet that causes insomnia and there are medical reasons behind it. The light from the monitor tricks the mind into believing that it's daylight and for most people daylight = should be awake so the body acts accordingly to keep the mind in an active state. It's a little bit different than just refusing to sleep which under normal circumstances eventually a person would crash out, but like I said the monitor light tricks the body's natural responses.

Best thing to do is turn off the computer after a certain time to ensure that you'll sleep properly.

I reallly realllllyyyy dislike that when my mom states that razz  

Koichi Wing

Moonlight Lover

7,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Geeky User Name

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:49 pm
eh. either keep running 'till you drop, or throw it out the window. i have the same problem, but my insomnia doesn't need the internet for an excuse. i had it long before i hooked up to the web. lol  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:35 pm
You need to have a steady sleep pattern. Ideally that means going to bed around the same time every night. you also need it to be quiet and dark or the sleep you get isn't going to mean jack.

Seriously insomnia is not fun and it messes you up down the road.

Setting yourself up to crash is a bad idea.  

Shinigami Unity

Harbone
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:54 pm
This works for me, sometimes:

Find a book you've always wanted to read but keep putting off, preferrably some kind of "spinach book," one that's good for you but not the kind of thing you normally like.

Read it in bed. Try really, really hard to read it and focus on it.
It usually knocks me right out, when I remember to do it.

(Example in point: Devil Wears Prada. Not a boring book by any means, but not my normal reading material. It ended a six week insomnia trend.)  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:02 pm
Just turn the computer off one hour before you want to go to bed. You'll relax automatically and fall to sleep. Or do what others have suggested, read a good book in bed. Sleep well.  

JupiterTwo

Advice Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff