Welcome to Gaia! ::

Final Fantasy Addicts Anonymous Guild

Back to Guilds

"Helping" Final Fantasy fans with their addictions since 2004. 

Tags: Final Fantasy, RPGs, Square Enix 

Reply Chatterbox (Non-FF Discussion)
Desert Bus III: Desert Bus VI in Japan!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ravenwolf
Captain

Friendly Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:12 pm
Ever heard of Desert Bus? It is arguably the worst video game in history. According to Wikipedia...

Quote:
The objective of the game is to drive a bus from Tucson, Arizona to Las Vegas, Nevada in real time at a maximum speed of 45mph. The feat requires 8 hours of continuous play to complete, since the game cannot be paused.

The bus contains no passengers, and there is no scenery or other traffic on the road. The bus veers to the right slightly; as a result, it is impossible to tape down a button to go do something else and have the game end properly. If the bus veers off the road it will stall and be towed back to Tucson, also in real time. If the player makes it to Las Vegas, they will score exactly one point. The player then gets the option to make the return trip to Tucson—for another point (a decision they must make in a few seconds or the game ends). Players may continue to make trips and score points as long as their endurance holds out. Some players who have completed the trip have also noted that, although the scenery never changes, a bug splats on the windscreen about five hours through the first trip, and on the return trip the light does fade, with differences at dusk, and later a pitch black road where the player is guided only with headlights.

So this group called LoadingReadyRun is running a ridiculously awesome charity called Desert Bus for Hope on a webcast while playing the game nonstop. As of this writing, they're up to 44 hours and have raised over $33,000 to go to getting toys and games for kids in hospitals.

So, it doesn't sound like much fun watching people play this game, right? And just how DID they raise that much money? Well, the thing is, people are paying them to do the craziest stuff. Someone says they'll donate $100 if they do the Haruhi dance. So they did. They get $30 or so every now and then to sing a song... My favorite was when they shaved one of the guys on-screen for $400.

They're just crazy people, and it's hilarious, and I can't describe it well enough to do them justice, and it's preventing me from doing my homework.

And here it is.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:04 pm
Outrageous! xd
It's great to see more charity gigs as well.  

Kazuma Ishimaru

Vice Captain

Timely Advisor

Chatterbox (Non-FF Discussion)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas