Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Serious Conversations
Has anyone dealt with the US immigration administration?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

icywind1980

Ice-Cold Neko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:11 pm
Right now I'm going through the process of marrying a foreigner and it's really tough having to be separated for so long because the Visa process takes about 8 months. Has anyone else dealt with this and maybe have some tips on how to make the paperwork and/or waiting any easier?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:08 am
I know absolutely nothing about the paperwork, but as for the waiting, it's hard to say what would make it "easier" without knowing exactly what you would consider "easier".

Nothing you do can really replace the lack of physical interaction between you and your partner, but you can still speak with each other by means of telephone conversations or online through instant messengers and voice over IP programs. Sending care packages or letters via old fashioned snail mail to each other can also help you feel a sense of being in physical contact despite the distance since you would know the object, whatever it is, was touched by them personally.

Given that they are willing to go through such a process to be with you, try to remember that they must care for you a great deal and likely would not want to see you unhappy. They did not decide to marry you so that you would go through 8 months of misery while you wait for them, and if you are really committed and dedicated to each other, then 8 months is a relatively short amount of time compared to how long you will be together once everything is finished.

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

bikutsi

6,900 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:07 am
I've been through the fiance visa process about 6 yrs ago. Be prepared to wait and be financially prepared to spend alot more than the USCIS quotes you. If your 'other' needs a physical make sure everything
EVERYTHING
is well documented and signed. some foreign doctors may say they need shots they may not actually need- or may not provide the correct documentation and then they have to get the shot again. Do what you can to avoid a physical here in US, because you have to go to a specific doctor, who by the way does nothing, and pay thru the nose.

feel free to PM me w/ questions.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:57 am
bikutsi
I've been through the fiance visa process about 6 yrs ago. Be prepared to wait and be financially prepared to spend alot more than the USCIS quotes you. If your 'other' needs a physical make sure everything
EVERYTHING
is well documented and signed. some foreign doctors may say they need shots they may not actually need- or may not provide the correct documentation and then they have to get the shot again. Do what you can to avoid a physical here in US, because you have to go to a specific doctor, who by the way does nothing, and pay thru the nose.

feel free to PM me w/ questions.

Thanks for the info. I'll make sure everything does get documented. If something odd does come up, I'll pm you with questions.

And thanks Tes for the suggestions, they do help.  

icywind1980

Ice-Cold Neko

Serious Conversations

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces