Reply The Japanese Student Guild
Chinese Japanese Relations

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hayash1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:36 am
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, sorry if it isn't sweatdrop It seems appropriate (at the time I'm writing this). If not, can a mod move this to the appropriate spot, thanks.

So, out of curiosity, I was wondering since I'm a Chinese-Canadian, after World War II, how do the Japanese people view the Chinese?

I know that some Chinese are still holding grudges (particularly the old ones over stuff that happened 70 years ago) while some don't particularly have an opinion. Of course there are others such as myself who love the culture, the language, the entertainment etc.

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of Chinese-Japanese kids, whose parents are (the male-> Chinese and the female-> Japanese, in most cases that I've seen [8 at a summer camp]). So that got me wondering what's happening there.

Thanks for any replies!  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:39 am
well, we talked a little bit about this in social studies and this is what i comprehended sorry if its wrong info. sweatdrop

way back during i think the sui and tang dynasty, japanese scolars came over in to chnia to make trade. they traded tons of things clothing style similarities, archetechure, food, traditions and even religon. and japan even influenced china with there ways of life. (actually i'm pretty sure that japan invented the fan and introduced it to china) lanterns rice and noodles and other items were being traded between each other.

As years passed in the 17 century (maybe) marco polo went over to china and started a trading route with europian countries and china. and basicly stopped trading with japan. then japan became isolated frome the rest of the world.
later from 1934-1945 there was the nitchuu-sensou(japanese-chinese war) then there was feuding going on betwen chinese and japanese government and its people (duh, its a war) they didn't trade for a while even today, ok japan and china assist each other now since china is full of factories for other countries prooducts, japan doesn't want china assisting them because china is what funds most of japanese military and its not good have foreign powers contolling military because japan and china could end up going to war in the future
besides those economic problems i don't see why chinese and japanese marrages should be any probem although they sometimes dont get along, just remember, NOBODY GETS ALONG WITH FRANCE! not to mention china and japan have had a huge influence on each pther and who knows where they would be with out that influence

xXxSeiza-chanxXx

IdiotbyDefault
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:21 pm
xXxSeiza-chanxXx
well, we talked a little bit about this in social studies and this is what i comprehended sorry if its wrong info. sweatdrop

way back during i think the sui and tang dynasty, japanese scolars came over in to chnia to make trade. they traded tons of things clothing style similarities, archetechure, food, traditions and even religon. and japan even influenced china with there ways of life. (actually i'm pretty sure that japan invented the fan and introduced it to china) lanterns rice and noodles and other items were being traded between each other.

As years passed in the 17 century (maybe) marco polo went over to china and started a trading route with europian countries and china. and basicly stopped trading with japan. then japan became isolated frome the rest of the world.
later from 1934-1945 there was the nitchuu-sensou(japanese-chinese war) then there was feuding going on betwen chinese and japanese government and its people (duh, its a war) they didn't trade for a while even today, ok japan and china assist each other now since china is full of factories for other countries prooducts, japan doesn't want china assisting them because china is what funds most of japanese military and its not good have foreign powers contolling military because japan and china could end up going to war in the future
besides those economic problems i don't see why chinese and japanese marrages should be any probem although they sometimes dont get along, just remember, NOBODY GETS ALONG WITH FRANCE! not to mention china and japan have had a huge influence on each pther and who knows where they would be with out that influence

From my research, when Japan became "closed" to the world from the mid 1600s til 1852, it was mainly to western trade. This was mainly because the Japanese government was trying to repel the aggressive monks/missionaries that the government feared would gain some kind of power. Since the ties between China and Japan have always been there (and they equally were intrigued with each other no matter how much China thought its culture to be superior to all others) trade relations were still kept with its close neighbors. However a movement was beginning in Japan towards the arts, culture, and disciplines that developed in Japan (called kokugaku or "The study of our country"...literally "country study") this lead to a more nationalistic passion among some scholars in Japan whom wanted to promote Japanese thought and shunned thoughts acquired abroad.

As with modern ties between China and Japan, the government of Japan has formally apologized many times for the atrocities of WWII, but it seems to be a hot issue that is brought up whenever some kind of issue between the two countries seems to break down, IMO.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:29 pm
Lemme put it this way: you know how Britain is known historically as The little island country that wanted to take over everything and make everyone live the way they did at the time? That's how a lot of Asian countries feel about Japan, especially South Korea and China. China was one of Japan's biggest targets and received a lot of the worst stuff their military could think up, including plagues, mass murder and many, many other things too horrific to bring up on a site like this(think along the lines of Manhunt, and you'll get a bit of an idea). Consequently, this has built a less than amicable relationship between the two countries over the years, and you'll see a lot of that anger towards the Japanese in the older, more nationalistic generation of Chinese.

Concerning Japan's view on China, that really depends on who you ask. The general rule of thumb is the more patriotic the person, the less favorably their view on other countries will be, a lot like it is in other countries. The younger generation is more likely to hold more open views about different countries, especially those knowledgeable about the history of their country, and the opposite goes for the older ones. You won't really know how broadly each person views the country until you ask them yourselves, but if you want a less venomous experience you'll want to stay away from the Uyoku Dantai(Japanese version of the deeply conservative mindset), as they're pretty guaranteed to have a bleek view on other countries, especially in wartime history contexts  

Koiyuki
Vice Captain

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Hayash1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:51 pm
I've never had the guts to ask someone about this in person, as I know a few Japanese people from Japan and born here. I don't really know how I would bring this up all of a sudden even though I've been really interested in this; being a history fanatic and all (even though it won't get me anywhere in life ^o^; wink .

ありがとう皆さん!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:21 pm
yeah, im not sure if what i said was right but thats all i got out of that unit in global studies sweatdrop  

xXxSeiza-chanxXx

King-Kai91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:01 pm
Koiyuki
Lemme put it this way: you know how Britain is known historically as The little island country that wanted to take over everything and make everyone live the way they did at the time? That's how a lot of Asian countries feel about Japan, especially South Korea and China. China was one of Japan's biggest targets and received a lot of the worst stuff their military could think up, including plagues, mass murder and many, many other things too horrific to bring up on a site like this(think along the lines of Manhunt, and you'll get a bit of an idea). Consequently, this has built a less than amicable relationship between the two countries over the years, and you'll see a lot of that anger towards the Japanese in the older, more nationalistic generation of Chinese.

Concerning Japan's view on China, that really depends on who you ask. The general rule of thumb is the more patriotic the person, the less favorably their view on other countries will be, a lot like it is in other countries. The younger generation is more likely to hold more open views about different countries, especially those knowledgeable about the history of their country, and the opposite goes for the older ones. You won't really know how broadly each person views the country until you ask them yourselves, but if you want a less venomous experience you'll want to stay away from the Uyoku Dantai(Japanese version of the deeply conservative mindset), as they're pretty guaranteed to have a bleek view on other countries, especially in wartime history contexts
I thought South Korea has "forgiven" Japan some what. But I heard on TV North Korea still held a grudge. (Even though they don't seem to like any country).  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:13 pm
I did a bit of research myself after making this topic,

Japan has made numerous apologies for what they did during world war II (atrocities, comfort women, etc.) and prior to the different nations.

Japan has apologized to China but due to some of ministers visiting a war memorial which also honored war criminals, during the day of the apology, China has not forgiven Japan because they didn't feel that it was sincere.

Japan has also apologized to Korea formally but I'm pretty sure it'll come up whenever war or suffering is brought up as with anything.

And North Korea is run by a tyrant and that part of Korea is suffering (human trafficking etc.), I wouldn't be surprised if there is a war there in a few years as they seem to be poking the tiger and the eagle with a nuclear stick every few months. I read one story about the North Koreans selling wives to nearby Chinese farmers who cannot get wives so they fill a form with the description of the wife they want (looks, skills etc.) and they wait for her to be delivered. The best case scenario is if Kim Jong Il dies and his successor changes things.  

Hayash1

King-Kai91

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:26 am
Niceril
I did a bit of research myself after making this topic,

Japan has made numerous apologies for what they did during world war II (atrocities, comfort women, etc.) and prior to the different nations.

Japan has apologized to China but due to some of ministers visiting a war memorial which also honored war criminals, during the day of the apology, China has not forgiven Japan because they didn't feel that it was sincere.

Japan has also apologized to Korea formally but I'm pretty sure it'll come up whenever war or suffering is brought up as with anything.

And North Korea is run by a tyrant and that part of Korea is suffering (human trafficking etc.), I wouldn't be surprised if there is a war there in a few years as they seem to be poking the tiger and the eagle with a nuclear stick every few months. I read one story about the North Koreans selling wives to nearby Chinese farmers who cannot get wives so they fill a form with the description of the wife they want (looks, skills etc.) and they wait for her to be delivered. The best case scenario is if Kim Jong Il dies and his successor changes things.
I don't know about that, supposedly Kim Jong Il's youngest son Kim Jong-un. Will succeed his father after he dies or steps down as leader. The current regime North Korea has, been there since the late 1940s I believe and back then. North Korea was run by Kim Il-sung (Kim Jong Il's father and Kim Jong-un's Grandfather). So if Kim Jong-un wants to continue to rule how his family has, then North Korea will remain the way it is now sadly.

Yeah I have seen that Japan has apolgized numerous times. According to wikipedia, Japan has apolgized since the 1950s and continues to this day. The last apolgy according to wikipedia was just on February 11, 2010. By Foreign Minister Katsuya Okada.

"I believe what happened 100 years ago deprived Koreans of their country and national pride. I can understand the feelings of the people who lost their country and had their pride wounded," Okada said during a joint news conference with South Korean Foreign Minister Yu Myung-hwan.  
The Japanese Student Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games