Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Does anyone here have any good tips? ~cosplaying!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Starlight Emerald

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:53 pm
You see I've only cosplayed once and when to one convention. That was Anime expo. and I plan to go again this year and I want to cosplay some more but I am not really all to sure how to... Lat year I cosplayed as Yui from K-ON and it was ok but my hair was too blond and I didn't want to buy a wig. So are there any good tips or suggestions out there? Thank you for your help  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:28 pm
What exactly do you want tips with? Hair?  

Wee Little

l krysta l

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:25 am
Do you have a picture of yourself?

Are there any anime characters you like?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:20 pm
Perhaps you should look into affordable wigs, I know there are some cheap yet good wigs out there (ebay, if you look enough).
Having fitting hair does wonders on your overall cosplay look.  

Saint of Swords _SoS

600 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250

PandaTeddy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:20 pm
General tips:
  • As previously mentioned, wearing a wig is always better - NEVER die your hair for cosplay, I will hunt you down if you do
  • Make sure you have comfortable shoes to wear, your feet will thank you later
  • Pick characters that you like and are happy being

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:38 pm
Like everyone previously said it is better to buy wigs rather than dieing or spray painting your hair. You'll regret it later on. There are cheap wigs out there. One place I've heard of is peri-wig.com. I haven't shopped there but I may in the future. They have wigs going for $14.99. I haven't looked enough to say that's the lowest. And I recommend buying it a few months ahead of the con. Just in case something goes wrong and it's not the right color or some other horrible tragedy.
You don't want to do what I'm doing, rush ordering it.  

Black Rose317

3,500 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

ghosteroni

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:54 pm
Yup, basically what everyone else said.
It depends on the cosplay that you're doing: e.g. Crossplay, Cosplay, girly, Tough, Evil....w/e!
But here are some basics:
~If you're being a guy, less is better make-up wise.
~If you find a character that you just randomly find (like seeing a random pic..w/e) Research is good. Finding their personalities ALWAYS helps in the longrun.
~You should NEVER spend too much on a cosplay costume, unless you're pretty experienced and you really, really like it.
~For a beginner, the easier the costume, the better.
~Order anything about a month or two earlier. A lot of incidents happen with ordering (especially wigs, seeing as a bright yellow spiky wig isn't exactly an everyday hairstyle).
~I really recommend cosplaying with a friend. Not only is it fun, but it's safe and still as easy.
~Always cosplay what you're comfortable with and if you don't want to be a certain character...don't be one!
~If you see someone else dressed the same, don't. freak. out. That'll just make it even MORE awkward, and you don't want to be punching each other or beating each other up (been there...done that)
~I really, really suggest writing a list of characters you'd want to be. I know it's a hard thing to do, but, it widens your possibilities.
~If it's in the summer... you don't have to, but, a heavy, dark costume is usually not the easiest to move in...think of the weather and how comfortable you'll be. Been there, too, and it is NOT fun!
~Remember to think ahead, and of course, HAVE FUN!!!

I guess I'll edit this if i come up with s'more..  
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:12 am
Dilly Dally.
*Make up is your friend.
I suggest you wear thick make up if you tend to sweat easily like I do.
Keep on retouching if you have the time since make up will greatly enhance your photos and hide your eyebags, pimples, scars and etc.

*BUDGET!

Don't force your wallet too much!
Cosplaying can get pretty expensive.
Set your priorities first and don't forget that cosplaying's a hobby that should be enjoyed. :3
Not something that will heavily stress you!

*DON'T USE SHINY CLOTH.
Srsly. D;<
It looks cheap and crappy.
Doesn't look good in photos at all!

Shilly shally.

Tsunji

sakurayoshema

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:19 am
Remember to always eat! <3  
Convention Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff