School and Oppression? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Taeaomo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:34 am
Pandora Darkness
I don't know about other countries, but in Australia students of both Primary and Secondary Schools have to wear uniforms. Some schools are more strict than others, but when it comes to being as petty as wearing the same clothing as everyone else, do you find uniforms redundant? Opressive? Redundantly Opressive? Or necessary?

I think I wouldn't mind.

As long as it wasn't just skirts for girls and long pants for guys. That way you don't think about what you have to wear and it's not like you don't have other clothes, after all, there is still after school and weekends. mrgreen But I can why people would get tired.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:17 am
Kaiyle Brightblade
Please use a different color.

I've never worn a uniform, but I don't think they are necessary. Let kids express themselves harmlessly through fashion so they don't find more shocking ways to try to "stand out" or get back at their parents.

^ I think that's a really good point.

I myself never had a problem with wearing a uniform though.  

Samiesha

BannedAccount8623822

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:39 pm
Here you don't wear uniforms unless you go to private schools.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:25 pm
When I was younger, I went to a school that required a uniform.
I hated it.
I hate skirts.
I don't really care about the whole "expression" thing. I care about being comfortable.
I'm not comfortable in a skirt, especially when it's 0 degrees outside.
Seriously.
And those itchy sweaters/vests.
Those were horrible.

I basically wear the same thing every day now, but it's more like . . . jeans and a t-shirt, not an uncomfortable shirt and itchy shirt.  

eccentricanomaly

drink more ovaltine

Party Seeker

8,050 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:35 pm
I've been wearing uniforms since I was 5, I guess I don't even know the difference now.
I live in Hawaii, and even the public schools here have uniforms (on Kauai anyway, I don't know about everywhere else.) starting from Kindergarten, but it's just a shirt. And the kids in K-8 get Aloha Fridays where they can wear whatever they want. But the high school kids have to wear uniform shirts all the time. And it's not that bad, I guess.
Plus uniform shirts are only like $6-$14 bucks a piece, and that's cheaper than the clothes I'd normally buy anyway.  
20. ✿ - - - Debating

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff