Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dragonheart Fortress

Back to Guilds

A sanctuary for videogamers and anime fans alike, but of course anyone else is welcome too 

Tags: games, anime, manga, roleplay, tech 

Reply Gaming - chat about video games & related stuff..
Sonic the Hedgehog thread

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you like about the series?
  The platforming
  Speed
  The many characters
  Story (3D games)
  The spin-offs (state which)
View Results

SoulKnight-Mikey
Vice Captain

6,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Informer 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:37 am
Good ol' Sonic. Basically say what you like about the series, what you don't, which ones you liked best if you've played more than one, and even if you prefer classic or 3D games xd  
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:11 am
Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 (GC ports) render the other 3D Sonic games mediocre. The sheer amount of gameplay, story, multiplayer options (in 2), CHAO, graphics (considering the original was made in 98 ), etc.. There are so many good points about the Adventure series!

Heroes was interesting, not a bad game considering its cross platform. However it always feels like a spin-off, seperate from the main series. Also it added the factor of normal enemy health, which I dislike as it means less blitzing through levels.

Slows down the action, like a lesser extent of Werehog Sonic from Unleashed. Which I have not played, I must say it seems a LOT better than Sonic 360 though. On that note, Sonic 360 has to be the worst 3D sonic game ever.. Why? It's not finished, it's ******** glitch-ville!

I want a proper Sonic Adventure 3.. That's what 360 was gonna be, that evidently wasn't the case. Wild Fire, now known as Secret Rings from the 'storybook series' was also gonna be an Adventure 3 attempt at one point also I'm sure. It's actually a bloody brilliant game, however it's gameplay is rather different from the other games.

Black Knight and Shadow The Hedgehog, I feel similarly about. Giving Sonic/Shadow guns or swords or -insert other weapon here- I don't like that. Having said that Shadow The Hedgehog is a work of art, especially compared to Sonic 360. I swear Shadow looks much better on the Gamecube, than Sonic 360 does in SD mode.. Plus no stupidly long load times.

Shadow The Hedgehog is actually a piece of the Adventure series, and that is what makes it great. It puts everything into persepective after Adventure 2, instead of Heroes which just seems completely detached and random.

Benny-Dragonheart
Captain

Original Lunatic

13,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Lavish Tipper 200

SoulKnight-Mikey
Vice Captain

6,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Informer 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:41 am
Very nicely said Benny, and I agree with it all XD Although I was okay with the Werehog gameplay in Sonic Unleashed but it was still a bad idea of a form...I loved the daytime stages though! Next time you're here you should give it a go ^^ And you saw me glitch the heck out of Sonic '06/360 yesterday xp

The thing I like is the mixture of speed and platforming, which was delivered best in the classics and the Adventure series. Sure platforming exists in future games...but I don't like the whole "You screwed up? Bottomless pit for you" ideal plastered across the whole stages. I'm okay with bottomless pits, in moderation! What I loved about a lot of cases in Sonic 1-3K, and sometimes in Adventure 1/2 is that if you fall, you simply backtrack to go the right way. Or better yet, alternate pathways!

That's one thing I miss about the classics, alternate paths...different methods of getting to the same place. The advance series didn't do this justice...except Sonic Advance 1. Apart from being slower paced slightly and having post-adventure character and moveset qualities, it was the most similar thing to the original 1-3K since 1994.

Advance 2 was brilliant and fast! Although linear and rather "Hold right to win"-esque in terms of level advancement. If right was held down for you, the game could play itself, only needing the occassional "A" press from you. Advance 3 was absolutely amazing in terms of the Advance series and brought about an interesting concept of tag actions. Incredible stage layouts, music, and even bosses.

My favourites in terms of 2D though? Sonic 1-3K. And even Sonic 1/2 Master System versions. Sonic 1 Mega Drive...where the series began. Amazing gameplay, simplistic controls, and brilliant music! And even interesting special stages 3nodding Sonic 2 took this to the next level, with more speed, the spindash, and even a little buddy known as Tails! The special stages became more unique, with psuedo 3D/half pipe design, rather fun. And also the introduction to the 7th Chaos Emerald and thus, Super Sonic. That is another HUGE thing I miss in the series, Super Sonic within standard stages after EARNING the 7 emeralds...instead of him just being a Final Boss exclusive. Don't get me wrong, Super in final bosses is a good thing, but Super should also be some sort of reward for finishing the story or doing something else massive (since most 3D games emeralds are acquired during the story), instead of just final boss exclusive.

Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles took this even further! With a 3rd character added, and a save feature. Still psuedo 3D special stages but this time to collect blue spheres across a map. This game also brought Act-exclusive music, and boy was the music amazing, as were the stage layout and backgrounds! Also the elemental shields were amazing and useful. Also if you locked on the two games to make S3K you get both sets of special stages! Meaning a chance to get a hidden second set of emeralds made from the first set...unlocking the ability to blaze through as Hyper Sonic, Hyper Knuckles, or even Super Tails! And the best thing about this, the save feature makes it so you can keep your emeralds and once you've finished the game, choose any stage to blaze through. All-levels Super Sonic run anyone?

Anyways this is getting rather long, I have a lot more to say though so I'll say more another time xd  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:45 am
BUMP! xd

Benny-Dragonheart
Captain

Original Lunatic

13,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200

Monochrome Nightfall

Omnipresent Cleric

11,000 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:29 pm
Shadow the Hedgehog: So-so game. neutral
Sonic and the Secret Rings- Although the whole, "Clear missions to get a new world!" thing is kinda annoying, great game, great music, amazing storyline ;D
Sonic Unleashed- Once played it for a day straight.... XD I like the whole night and day missions, and Spagonia (Day Stage- Rooftop Run) is a great song ^w^ The Gaia Phoenix was a fun boss to fight, not to mention it looked cool, as well!
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity: ...You kidding? *plays it almost daily; memorized the lyrics to Un-gravitify and Catch Me if you Can*  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:57 pm
I loved the Sonic Team? I can't remember it's name now!! the one where you controlled three players in a team.... that was my fave... that and Adventure 2 Batlle..... I spent ours in the chao garden....
Sonic rush / Adventure were both very good and me and my dad have fond memories of the original on megadrive  

TheCoolestNerdd

Romantic Prophet

7,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Befriended 100

SoulKnight-Mikey
Vice Captain

6,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Informer 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:18 am
James you mean Sonic Heroes xp If you wanna play one that's similar to the classics play Sonic Advance. The first one, very similar to them. I absolutely love the Mega Drive ones ^_^

Also yes Twi, just yes xd I love Rooftop Run's music! If there's one thing they always get right, it's the music whee Benny got me playing Secret Rings...though it turned against him cause I started using "Seven Rings In Hand" against him. I already liked the song before playing the game but since we sat and finished it in one sitting...him not so much, since it got SO repetitive xp

Also which console did you play Unleashed on? The Wii/PS2 and 360/PS3 versions are pretty different xd  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:50 pm
JimmyHedgehog
James you mean Sonic Heroes xp If you wanna play one that's similar to the classics play Sonic Advance. The first one, very similar to them. I absolutely love the Mega Drive ones ^_^

Also yes Twi, just yes xd I love Rooftop Run's music! If there's one thing they always get right, it's the music whee Benny got me playing Secret Rings...though it turned against him cause I started using "Seven Rings In Hand" against him. I already liked the song before playing the game but since we sat and finished it in one sitting...him not so much, since it got SO repetitive xp

Also which console did you play Unleashed on? The Wii/PS2 and 360/PS3 versions are pretty different xd

Someone actually did a song to Rooftop Run owo It's kinda weird but good. XDDD Can't remember the music for Chun-nan though neutral
Holy crap owo
Wii ;D The whole attack method when you're in the Werehog state reminds me of Twilight Princess's attack method. (but, you know, no sword and shield- it's only the whole waving the Wiimote and using the Nunchuk thing that's reminicent)  

Monochrome Nightfall

Omnipresent Cleric

11,000 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Survivor 150

TheCoolestNerdd

Romantic Prophet

7,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Befriended 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:44 am
HEROES! THAT WAS IT!! xD  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:20 am
I didn't like Heroes that much.. I mean it was a decent game.. But just so different from Adventure.. =/  

Benny-Dragonheart
Captain

Original Lunatic

13,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200

SoulKnight-Mikey
Vice Captain

6,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Informer 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:34 am
Heroes would have been a lot better if they improved 3 things.
1. Overly glossy models...
2. Slippy character movement
3. OVERLY CORNY DIALOGUE >_<  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:55 pm
The music in Heroes was pretty damn awesome though, well most of it.. I would have loved to play it in 5.1 channel sound, haha..  

Benny-Dragonheart
Captain

Original Lunatic

13,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200

SoulKnight-Mikey
Vice Captain

6,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Informer 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:11 pm
Every Sonic game has amazing music...heh xp  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:18 am
Disagree with that, haha..

Um.. Sonic Colours, I am intrigued by it..

Benny-Dragonheart
Captain

Original Lunatic

13,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200

SoulKnight-Mikey
Vice Captain

6,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Informer 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:08 pm
Okay, most do =P I'm also intruiged by it...Wii version of course. And Sonic 4 but that was obvious...XD  
Gaming - chat about video games & related stuff..

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games