Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Abortion, birth control (pill/shot), abstinence or adoption? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which is the best/most realistic solution to teen pregnancy?
  abortion
  abstinence
  birth control
  adoption
View Results

wellwisher
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:06 pm
I'm done with this thread. There isn't much actual intellectual discussion going on as both sides feel they're right and the other is wrong, without trying to listen and understand the other standpoints.  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:51 pm
Divine-Beauti
No point in being against something you can't control. Being against menstruation is just illogical. It's like being against the weather or how tall you are. You don't have to like it but you can't control it. So being against abortion means you're against menstruation? In that case are pro-life guys against semen? But deppfan what do you suppose is the best thing to avoid teen pregnancy? Abortion?
User Image

Abortion is simply a "plan B". The first step is birth control and proper sex education.
User Image  

m4r1p0s4

Eco-friendly Sex Symbol

10,750 Points
  • Planetary Technician 150
  • Market Browser 100
  • Candy Fiend 150

Spaniard The Last Angel

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:08 pm
My two cents:

Abortion: Should be used in the most serious of cases, mostly medical. I had a friend who had to have an abortion because both her and her baby were becoming sick due to a wronged pregnancy. It's also at the will and comfort of the mother, but I strongly believe that abortion should be a last resort in all medical reasons, not emotional or economical.

Abstinence: Is key to all this over-population we are driving our species into. I believe, one should save themselves for a special person. It doesn't always turn out the way you want it, but it makes it count more than having wild, reckless sex. Although, I also strongly believe that abstinence has a 3:1 ratio to actually working. Our teens are our prime. It is when our bodies are most adequet for doing vairous tasks and living a more energy driven lifestyle. It should just be lived with some thought, and not as impulsivley as we do now.

Adoption: I, one day, hope to adopt a little Mexican boy named Pablo and change his name to Miguel. Why? Why not? If I choose not to have children from my own womb, and instead, take a child who has no home, is that wrong? He may not have my nose, or my chin, or even my hair color; but I would have a son, and he would have a mother, and that is all that matters. Giving up a child whom you can't successfully provide for to a stranger who can give them a proper home, is the best thing any parent could do for thier child. It is the ultimate display of affection.

Birth control: Medically, most women should be on birth control, I believe. It creates a balance inside our bodies that sometimes goes out of control. It doesn't mean I believe you can have sex all day long like a dog in heat. It means, added security to a passion driven lifestyle, while also regulating your system. It also raises sexual awareness and prompts women to learn more about thier bodies and how they work, thus possibly avoiding diseases that are oblivious to others.

An idea or thought cannot be stupid if there is a lack of knowledge. If one lacks the knowledge, then one cannot make an improper assumption. With knowledge, we could all be aware of the decisions we make and thier concequences.

[/blah, blah, blah.]

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:14 am
Abortion is never the answer. It's just murder. The unborn baby is still a living thing. So I definately don't believe in that as an option. I also don't believe that birth control is a great option. I think that abstinence is the best choice. Women should have enough respect for their bodies and not go sleeping around with other people. As a Catholic, not to bring religion into this (even if other people already have), I was taught to have respect for my body and other people's as well. Adoption is a great thing to do because you're giving some poor child a home.  

DJ_Rial

5,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Hygienic 200

Musik des Mondes

Hygienic Vampire

5,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:24 pm
For most sexually active people, birth control is the most reasonable option. Even in a monogamous situation (like a stable marriage), it just makes sense that every time the couple has sex, they don't always want a new baby.

Abortion should probably be used as a last resort, say if the mother or child would be in danger or if the child would be worse off otherwise (debilitating deformities, dangerous birth defects).

Adoption is preferable if a pregnancy is part of the picture, because hopefully, the mother isn't stupid, and makes sure the baby is with a good loving family. Also adoption, with a good family, is wonderful. It is truly an act of love to give love and shelter and your heart to a child who doesn't have that.

You can't easily convince someone to abstain from sex, but all birth control has some risk of failure.

My last point is: if you're not ready do deal with the ending result of sex (which is pregnancy), be abstinant. But there might be situations you can't control (rape), so make sure to stat on birth control when you aren't looking to be pregnant. It is beyond terrible to have a child be a living reminder of a rape. A child doesn't deserve to be unloved for any reason. Also, birth control can help with moods and hormones. And who likes to be a moody hormonal wreck?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:50 pm
about abortion; if you want one, you have to get it soon enough so that its NOT a human. its a random glob of cells attached to the uterus. obviously, if you were in the 3rd trimester and trying to get an abortion, that would be wrong because (depending on when in the pregnancy) it could live by itself at that point. a random glob of cells CANNOT live by itself
and another thing: if the glob really is a live human (aka the beginning of a baby's life) why do we celebrate our birthday? by that logic, wouldn't we celebrate the day our parents conceived that random glob that is supposedly the beginning of our life?  

une_pomme_verte

Zat In The Hat

Hilarious Capitalist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:37 pm
It's hard for me to say where I stand on abortion I can't exactly say whether I'm for or against it. But the decision of aborting a unborn child is completely up to the woman bearing the child. One last note on this; I hate it when people criticize other people because of their different view on this topic. If you don't like abortion just don't have one.

Now teens having sex. I'm not gonna lie, If I had a chance to have sex with someone I'm in a relationship with I will probably jump on that offer but, I will still take precautions to keep it safe. If none can be taken in that moment I will leave it for another day. Personally I don't care whether I get it before or after marriage since sex should not be to goal of a serious relationship. But when It comes to teens having sex I think it's important to have the safe sex talk with them as in the importance of protection, birth control, etc. Just telling your kid, Never have sex until your married and expect them to follow through with it is a gamble. Now what I think about teens who have sex. It depends I will not think less of you if you have sex with your boyfriend/girlfriend whatever I don't care it's none of my business.

But, I frown at teens selling sex for money not only is it shameful but that's a bad road to go down at a early age. The same goes for that guy who goes out with a girl just for sex. It was truly difficult thing to tell someone that their boyfriend only wants you for sex and that you should not bother getting back with him. But, as a friend I felt like I had to say something.

Now before I start rambling in short I'm saying that: Abortion is a individual's decision and they should not be criticized for the decision they wish to make. Also, teen sex is inevitable all teens should be aware of safe sex and the consequences of not being safe.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:26 pm
how is adoption supposed to be a way to affect change in teen pregnancy? i mean they're still getting pregnant... and the same goes for abortion. these aren't preventative of a pregnancy and are seemingly in this for the shock-value of the abortion debate.  

Britainian_Knight

Ninja Rin666

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:48 am
I would say that not having sex is the best way to prevent pregnancy. There are loads of ways of having fun without that kind of stuff. If you ask me, if they want sex so bad, they can hire a hooker. I'd rather not get involved so quickly.

If I were raped though, I would concider abortion. It saves the pain of the actual childbirth, and it saves the fetus from growing into a distraught child. Because once he/she knows where they came from, there's no telling what the news would do to them. Kids would tease them and destroy any future they would ever hope to have.

It really depends on your point of view, but that's the way I see it.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:36 pm
I chose abstinence and education as my first choice to "combat" teen pregnancy. Society does play a big factor in influencing teens to be a certain way, and definitely how your parents raised you. I noticed adults seem to not want to have to deal with teenagers and their problems, but rather dote on infants and young children, so I can understand receiving little support. Then there are always the cases where parents tried their best but still didn't understand their children, which leads to the next choice, birth control.

birth control is a very handy medication that as mentioned earlier can be used to treat and prevent other hormonal issues. Whether a parent likes it or not, they don't have total control over their children's lives.

3rd option is abortion, as i am pro-choice. pro-choice makes the most sense to me, seeing as if you don't want one, fine, but maybe someone else does. and whether another woman chooses to get an abortion is as much your business as who she decides to date or marry, or what university she decides to attend, if she wants to go to school at all. let's not forget that at the right time, cells can go to stem cell research, you know, to help people already living in the outside world.

last choice is adoption. nowadays, people want to adopt kids from other countries anyways. i don't know why, when there are plenty of kids in one's own country who would love to be adopted. in the case of teenagers though, this is still better than raising the child his/herself, but i consider it a very last resort.  

Harlot Queen

Girl-Crazy Exhibitionist

9,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:35 am
I support educating people about all of those options. I think the most important and practical option is to teach about birth control, seeing as puberty, that wonderful time of hormone shifts and the intrusion of the libido, is when we experience our sexuality (whether we have sex or not) for the first time. Since this is also not the time in our lives that is generally regarded as our wisest, I think it is extremely important to educate youth about sexuality, talk to them about the possibility of abstinence, and about birth control, adoption, and abortion if they should choose to be sexually active.

To leave youth in the dark about sexuality and the possible results (be they STDs or babies) thereof and simply expect them to remain abstinent at the time when their sexual drives are at their most powerful is not only irresponsible, it is cruel. No wonder we have so many pregnant teens, so many abortions, so many STD infections!

ABSTINENCE ONLY DOESN'T WORK. Sure, bring it up as an option, but don't leave them in the dark about everything else! If you do, you cannot then turn around and complain about teen pregnancy and abortion rates.

This all, of course, stems from societal condemnation of sex as a "bad" thing. If people wouldn't be so uptight about even talking about sex, teens might actually learn about it before they just go blindly into it based solely on what they know from pop culture ("it'll make him love me", "it'll make me popular" or, at the other end of the spectrum, "having sex even once makes you a slut"). Above all, youth need to be taught that sex is natural and enjoyment of sex is natural. After that, it will be easier to get everything else out there (from abstinence to abortion). Once they have all the information and healthy understanding of sex and sexuality, we can truly hold them responsible and accountable for their sexual actions.

Sorry if I'm rambling or jumping from point to point (as I'm sure I am). It's 2:30 AM and I'm not nearly caffeinated enough rolleyes I hope what I've typed makes sense.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:27 pm
Order of command if I had my way
#1 abstinence (better to prevent it entirely and control urges)
#2 birth control (if you can't control yourself prevent pregnancy the best way possible)
#3 adoption (let someone who is more finiacially responsible raise it)
#4 raising it
#5 abortion (only to save the mother's life or rape)  

SchizoSpazz

Space Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200

DevilMayCryGal204

1,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:24 pm
First of all speaking as a teen mother myself. The best and most fool proof way to prevent pregnancy its to avoid having sex at all. However in today's world that is unrealistic. The next step then should always be birth control, it might have a small fail rate but it's better than no birth control at all. Abortion to me isn't one of my favorite options, but when a teenage girl get's pregnant if she knows for sure she can not readily take care of the baby abortion could be an option. Adoption is a great thing and it takes a very strong woman to give her baby up for adoption, but it's harder than you think for a girl to make that choice after 9 months of carrying her baby. Also why is no one talking about the other risks of unprotected sex, such as contracting an STD?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:41 pm
I use birth control AND condoms. If you're going to have sex, you might as well go all the way when it comes to protection. And yes, I am aware that even with these two methods there is a tiny chance of getting pregnant. Which is why me and my boyfriend have a back up plan.  

Rero Rero

"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces