Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Marathon cosplay sewing!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kinxed

5,650 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:13 pm
Procrastination. I'm an expert at it, even when it comes to cosplay. Or maybe especially when it comes to cosplay.

For example, this past weekend Salsa and I made our Plusle and Minun gijinkas two days before the con. Baaaaaaad choice.
We thought it would be simple but one night we stayed up until 5am sewing and another night we stayed up until 3am sewing.
But we got them done in time after a little sewing in the hotel room! 8D

I've sewn things in the car on the way to a con before too.

Do you ever do marathon sewing days right before a con?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:42 pm
YES! Especially when I'm jumped up on that Arizonia Green Tea with ginseng. That stuff keeps me awake so long.
The most recent marathon, not right before a con,was working 9 a.m. until 3 a.m. on some cosplay armor. If only the dang weather was good for once, I could get it painted.

I did do a cosplay the day before a convention and ended up taking second place in the walk-on. Ukon, from Ayatsuri Sakon.

Guilty of sewing on the way to the con too.
Though, I've never had to actually sew my costume together at the convention.

I usually bring a bunch of low temp hot glue/gun and a travel sewing kit to cons just in case. wink
Boy do I love the glue!  

ll dell Orso ll

Tipsy Gawker

PegLegPony

1,300 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:49 pm
I used to be REALLLY bad for stuff like that.

I once had a full day and a half day iff before a con and i didn't sleep trying to make three costumes. VERY frustrating!

I did get them all done tho and i havent made cosplay since.
i was up from 7 am t0 4 am one night.
woke up went to work for 10.
came home at 4. ate and continued working toill 7 am. slept for 2 hours woke up to get ready to go to the con.

and then i only slept about 10 hours total while at the con... it was our first yar stayin in hotels and we had the BEST parties!!! XD  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:55 pm
My mom was helping me sew my first cosplay the night before the con xP We were up until around 1AM finishing it.  

tokkitoria

Brainy Bunny

11,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conventioneer 300

salsaplant

GO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:04 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Proof of me and Kinxed working it out the night before XD;;

Besides then, I pulled an all nighter making my Lambo Bovino bodysuit thing. Of course this was because I had to hand-stitch my entire cosplay because my sewing machine broke o__e
Went to the con (it was a small one, so I only went one day) and when I got home, I passed out for 22 hours, I was so tired XD;;

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:08 pm
salsababy2889
Besides then, I pulled an all nighter making my Lambo Bovino bodysuit thing. Of course this was because I had to hand-stitch my entire cosplay because my sewing machine broke o__e
Went to the con (it was a small one, so I only went one day) and when I got home, I passed out for 22 hours, I was so tired XD;;

22 hours is absolutely ridiculous!!!
and a little hand sewing sucks in general in my opinion...
but a whole suit... ridunkulous!  

PegLegPony

1,300 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200

salsaplant

GO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:26 pm
PegLegPony

Lol, 22 hours is ridiculous, but I hadn't slept in nearly 48 hours when I crashed (5pm) so I need to catch up on sleep, lol

And yeah, I never wanna handsew something like that ever again, but I think it turned out good--

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:01 pm
salsababy2889
PegLegPony

Lol, 22 hours is ridiculous, but I hadn't slept in nearly 48 hours when I crashed (5pm) so I need to catch up on sleep, lol

And yeah, I never wanna handsew something like that ever again, but I think it turned out good--

HAH!
OMG, I WANTS ONE!
thats adorable <3

I wisah I had pictures of my handiwork... they got taken far far away by the people i made them for. Sooo depressing.  

PegLegPony

1,300 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Cariella

Questionable Shopper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:54 pm
I haven't really done any last-minute sewing, but my friend has made legwarmers right before the gathering she needed them for. xD  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm
I always end up finishing little details on my costume the night before the con. But not for this past Anime Boston, oh no. I decided I wanted to have a Meltdown version of my Kaito costume. The night before the con. So I sewed the entire thing in one night, only to end up not wearing it.

It's comfy, though. :B  

Wielder of Mighty Pencil!

harukokun

4,750 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:09 pm
haha i try to prevent that by taking the smaller things that i can sew by hand with me in my bag, that way when i'm home i can work on the bigger things and don't have to rush as much  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:22 pm
I've done that before. I didn't get to the sewing part, though. I was cutting out the fabric until my friend was all, "OH HAI LEMME HELP YOU CUT!" I used an old shirt as my pattern and she cut way too deep. She was all, "OH I made it worse! SORRY! I'm going to bed now..." I never finished the cosplay because of her. I've learned my lesson, though. Don't let annoying friends who don't know what they're doing assist you in a cosplay. lol  

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Glacirus

5,500 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:51 pm
I'm positive if I ever attempt to sew again, i'd be doing this for all, if not most of my cosplays... as it is, I order them 1 week before the convention, and they arrive with 2-3 days to spare. Thankfully the websites are good with sizes so they fit nicely...

Thumbs up to anyone/everyone who makes their own costumes, and extra for those who do it last minute and still make them look epic. (b'_')b

I am really bad with procrastination... sweatdrop  
Convention Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff