Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Uuuugh, Stupid Feelings!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dragon Poll
  Dragon Brain Hemmorhage
View Results

Ryu Redwings

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:55 pm
I just got a beating on one of the art websites.
I'm kind of over it now, but I'm still a little depressed,
My art isn't that terrible, is it?
I mean, I know it could be better, but is it okay?
I'm going to go hide in my corner now...
But what this really lead to was something I've been thinking about a lot lately.
I've been drawing more then I usually do since I don't have much inspiration for my book right now...
But all it's really doing is making me think more about how I need to improve, and how much I'm struggling to figure out my own personal style.
I mean, it's manga/anime-style, but it's not at the same time.
But it's not really normal cartoon-style since it still has the anime in it....
Some days I've got no idea what I'm doing, and others I do.
I guess this is just one of those days where I feel like I'd be better off with some other practical hobby like herb growing or something...

In other news, HAI SUITES.
I know I haven't posted in here in a bit.
I still love you, promise!!
*3*  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:04 pm
Well I have no idea what they said to speak about it, but I know how it feels when sometimes someone just says the wrong thing at the wrong time and makes you feel like crap. <3
I know how you feel about trying to find your personal style. For me, everyone else's art, in my eyes, has personality, while mine is just... bleh.
Personally I think it's probably good to feel like you could do better. Otherwise, you never improve.
And regardless, you do what makes you happy. Who cares what anyone else thinks? XD  

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Ryu Redwings

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:34 pm
I remember one of my friends said this to me:
"Oh, I can tell what's yours all the time. It always glows with happines!"
"Even when I'm drawing blood and guts?" (I had recently done a kind of gorey piece)
"Yes!"
In a way, I was glad it had my little personal touch, but at the same time I was like, "It glows? Even when I'm trying to draw something serious? >>;; "
So even though you may not see it, you probably have your own style Szen.
:3
I've always thought everything you do has a really cool, polished and smoothed look.
I do want to improve, but sometimes it feels no matter what I do, I'm not anywhere near where I want to be.
And it's a little discouraging when you don't see any improvement while other people do, and you're sitting there going, "Where the hell are you seeing that?! It looks the same to me!!"  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:40 pm
I think personal style develops naturally, and even if it doesnt' really fit into a certain style, it's still your style and is perfectly valid.

I agree with Szen. If you enjoy something, it only really ultimately matters what you think and feel.

HAI.  

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

scrub
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:27 pm
I love you art Ryu, I wish I had your level of talent smile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:31 pm
I think your art's pretty dope, I can't even draw a circle, so I'd love to be able as talented as you, & some of the other folks 'round these parts.

Also, shut up Szen, you also art adequately.

Renard Muldrake

Clean Capitalist

6,200 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100

scrub
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:58 pm
Renard Muldrake
Renard makes a good point razz
Everything you've drawn for me has been brimming with personality, I still use that last one as my gaia Facebook picture.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:15 am
scrub
Renard Muldrake
Renard makes a good point razz
Everything you've drawn for me has been brimming with personality, I still use that last one as my gaia Facebook picture.
Seriously, that zombie Nard picture was geelorious. I mean even the dirty clothes in that picture had personalities, & you only used like three colors. So you're wrong if you think your art lacks personality, & Ryu's wrong if she thinks hers sucks.  

Renard Muldrake

Clean Capitalist

6,200 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:55 pm
Thanks guys. XD; I guess I have a bad habit of comparing myself to people who are way better than me, so I always feel inferior. But like I said, I think that's a good thing. If I felt satisfied with my work, I'd never strive to be better. XD  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:50 am
Huh, I thought I'd posted in here.

Anyway, considering the art I've seen, yours was definitely better than a whole bunch of others' I've had the misfortune to see.

And you're right about the 'never satisfied' thing. If you were satisfied, you'd be useless as an artist.

So keep at it. 3nodding  

Maze

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces