Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Suites I need medical advice!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AquilaLiberum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:41 am
Ok so a week ago, I woke up and the left side of my neck was pretty sore. So I just thought I'd slept in a funny position and didn't dwell on it. Later that day, it got so bad I had to take painkillers, and the next day, it mysteriously vanished.
During the week I woke up with it again, and it stayed for a few days before getting so bad on Sunday that I had to go home from work. Yesterday it vanished again but today it came back to such a degree that I'm actually shouting out loud in pain. The pain just seems to start happening, I was just sitting at the computer when I felt it getting worse. I can hardly turn my head without yelping sad

Has anyone experienced something like this before? And would anyone know a good way to relieve the pain other than painkillers? I think I might have the flu as well, because I've heard that flu symptoms can include aches but I didn't think they'd be this painful.

~Nya-ha!~
blaugh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:39 am
Medical advice is best from qualified people >_>

All though those self diagnostic websites can be pretty useful, a friend of mine realised he had appendicitis using one, so was able to rush straight to hospital before it exploded.  

scrub
Crew

AquilaLiberum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:54 am
I know but I was just wondering if anyone had suffered this as well and any particular ways to treat the pain they had found useful. Like, my boss in work said to sleep with something nylon wrapped around my neck?

~Nya-ha!~
blaugh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:08 am
My Mum has this neck beanbag thing, you put it in the microwave for a bit then sit with it around your neck.

It had thyme or something in it to O_o  

scrub
Crew

Maze

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:11 am
Medical advise: Go see a doctor. 8D

Unrelated non-professional advise, check your posture. Are you sitting up right? Do you have your shoulders hunched, maybe? Try breathing in and raising your shoulders up to your head, holding your breath and then releasing it sharply - dropping your shoulders - after a couple of seconds.

Heatpacks will work too in that case.

But a wrong posture or a drafty/cold room would be the first things I'd look for. If none of those are present, check for sneaky stress.

If that's a no go either, go see a doctor. They get paid for this s**t. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:20 am
To be honest, that sounds like a muscle cramp or something pertaining to muscles at least.
But yeah, go see a doctor.
Do you have one at your college/university you can bug at health services or something?  

Ryu Redwings

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:36 pm
That happened to me a while back. I woke up one morning with it and it didn't go away for at least a week. I was about to go see a doctor and then it got better and never came back.
All I did was take a lot of pain killers, but I dunno if that's the best advice. XD  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:42 pm
scrub
My Mum has this neck beanbag thing, you put it in the microwave for a bit then sit with it around your neck.

It had thyme or something in it to O_o
I have one too. :3  

Light up the Night

Tipsy Lunatic

AquilaLiberum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:04 pm
Thanks for the advice guys biggrin
@Ryu: I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow, I decided to ask for an emergency appointment because the pain was really bad and I would have had to wait until next Wednesday. So I'll know tomorrow I guess.
Someone mentioned about a drafty room though which could be a possibility. There's some damp in our house so I constantly keep my bedroom window open when I'm at home so it doesn't smell. Guess I may just have to close it more often?

~Nya-ha!~
blaugh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:47 am
That, or get a better house. o:

Good luck with it, Aqui, and let us know how it goes. 3nodding  

Maze

comfylove
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:52 am
Is your skin warm to the touch? Because it could be a blood clot.

My neck on my right side was killing me for about 2 weeks, but it was only because I crack my neck all the time. I went to a chiropractor to get it aligned again. D:  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:51 pm
Hey you guys, I went to the doctor and he said it's likely just a bad muscle spasm. He gave me anti-inflammatory pills and a gel to use and since then it's been fine. Just going to see him made mde feel better about the whole thing. So I guess the problem is solved, mods and delete or move this/let it die as they see fit xd

~Nya-ha!~
blaugh

AquilaLiberum

Maze

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:44 pm
*highfives Aqui for getting better*

*and stealth-high-fives him for his signature picture* ninja  
The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers