Gender Roles in Arguments?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Obliviosity

Invisible Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:31 pm
Have you ever noticed that while talking to some of your girl friends, they're more likely in an argument to come to an agreement about different viewpoints, and more likely to peacefully come to the "agree to disagree happily" conclusion. And that while talking to guy friends, they're more likely to press and press a their specific point until you practically scream "OKAY!" after long discussions of "I understand what you're saying, but I mean *this*."

I remember reading a piece while in my junior year of high school that contrasted a male's and female's general behavior within conversations. Females tend to point out negative things about themselves and what they're saying, and in turn build up others and their points. Males tend to point out cracks in an opponent's argument and aren't one to give up their point easily until their noses are rubbed in it. Being used to it, they see it as a normal thing, while a female may become frustrated.

I'm not sure if it's just me generalizing based on my own personal experiences, but what do you girls think?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:51 pm
yeah i was in a lot of conversation and the i agree thing pops up every so often. it annoys me then i say " i agree with you on this, but....."  

Death At Will

5,200 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Generous 100
  • Befriended 100

9_Beautiful_Monster_6

6,900 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:30 pm
ha, yeah i seem to notice that with more of my, hmm how to put it..., "jock" type guy friends, they will never agree to a diffrence of opinion, but my more laid-back relaxed guy friends they are more then willing to hear diffrent view-points and such, i think it depends on more what ur used to then anything.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:26 pm

Oh My God!! That happens with my parents ALL THE TIME!!! My mom has just taken to not saying anything when it's not really crucial to something. Luckily for me, I inherited my dad's arguing (and puzzle solving) genes, and I will usually end up making the other person bow out of the argument.

Sioga

Eloquent Genius

u nd i

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:59 am
Read Robin Lackoff, she studied gender theories in analysing conversations. It's outdated now but a lot of it still stands firmly.

I, for one, just don't argue. Because I know I'm right.  
26. ✿ - - - Boys

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games