NerdLawnch
Crew

Cute Transform

21,575 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:51 am
Over the years, I've been taken advantage of by people I thought were my friends. When I first joined Gaia, a friend I had at that time hacked me and took all my fancy items because he watched me type my password in. I never reported it since I never knew I could back then.

Another friend I had ended up telling me something bad (don't remember what exactly) at the end of the school year that almost made me cry in class (I don't cry in public, not even at funerals) yet I was still "friends" the next year.

Once, I was planning to go to an anime thing with a few friends. I planned on room arrangements, I was even gonna pay for it and possibly some stuff for them there. The friend I was planning it with said she'd pick me up Saturday and we'd just stay there one day instead of the whole weekend. I call her up Friday night to ask when she'd pick me up Saturday and get no answer. Then, a while later a different friend calls me. He says they're already there. I ask if anyone could come pick me up so I could get there and they tell me what bus I could take to get there and what gas station is nearby so they could meet me there. I don't blame him, since he called me back and at least told me stuff. I found out later that she never treated me right (mean, insensitive, etc) and we had been friends for at least 12 years.

Is it strange that I have serious trust issues when it comes to making new friends, both online and off, given my previous experiences?
Note: These are just the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:34 am
No it is not strange that you have trust issues. Myself have pretty much given up on making friends in RL, they can backstab you way to easily. Though here online I will make friends, but only after I get to know you, but that is because a person needs some people that they can talk to, to expose their innermost thoughts to, online you can do that with someone not really knowing who you are. But one should still be a little vigilant on who they choose to befriend.

So in all my advice would be to pretty much forget about making friends offline, and concentrate on making them online. You will end up with less heartache, well usually. I have encountered a massive amount of heartache for myself here on Gaia last summer, but this is something I will not bring up here. But I hope this has helped you at least a little bit Zomb  

Mask_Wearer

Feral Poster

16,125 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Cat Fancier 100

Blind Blindness
Captain

5,075 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:56 pm
No it's normal. I'm the same way. I see the people around me and their ways beforehand though, so I don't befriend them xD. But that makes life lonely. I guess it's just human nature, most friends will just drift away or backstab you, and you have to choose which is better for you, to be more of a loner or be friends with a majority of people who are superficial. There is hope though...a few lucky, loyal people might very well enter your life and treat you right =]  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:46 pm
I don't know what to say so I'm not going to say anything. Not that I don't want to be helpful in some way, but I can't.  

justian werefox

Sparkly Raider

tsubakino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:51 pm
...i don't know where to start.... but only making friends online can't be good for you. Don't get me wrong these social connection sites are great but it doesn't (or should i say shouldn't) replace actual connections with people you can see. I understand that you've had bad experiences in the past but don't let that stop you from forming friendships to people you can count on to be there for you. As good of a person someone is that you're friends with on the internet, chances are when something happens he (or she, lets not be sexist) can give noting but advice, while a friend can be with you and help you through the whole ordeal. Keep in mind, it has to be a friend. Those people you've described are not your friends. They're just people who are nice to you or talk to you from time to time. A friend is someone you KNOW that if you called for help he (or she, again, sexism is a naughty thing) will run through the fire and flames to be there for you. You will meet very few friends in your life, granted. But don't close yourself from the few you can find...... this is just my opinion.
in the end it's your life.
your choice.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:00 pm
Dx I have trust issues, too. >>; It's why I used to not share my name and age with anybody over the internet...it's why I don't let people know the deeper things about me. Cause it's not like they care...they'll just end up turning against me. I don't trust people to know things about me unless it's the guildies...the guildies know more than my own family(and 'rl' friends) do. o_o; They don't deserve to know what makes me tick, cause they'll ruin it or use it to control me x__x

but uhh...trust me...I won't treat ya bad. :3 You're much too awesome. Hopefully one day you can feel comfortable enough to let us get to know you better... if not, then stay a mystery. Either way I won't be the one to ruin your day.

Jedi Master Acey

8,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Life Issues Forum [[ You got a problem We can HELP]]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items