Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll (Redone)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

View Results

ecopper12

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:48 pm
Okay, so here is the redone version. I started a new version so this one will be dark and ironic. Chapter one is not done, but I gave a backstory on Ron Starr.

Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll

By Erik Copper

Introduction

“Time of death: Nine o’clock, Tuesday, March 29, 1977. Cause of death: Accidental overdose. Name of deceased: John Starr. I got to tell you Mitch, it’s always the famous ones that hit the ground hard. Well, I think it’s about time I told the others the full situation.” Detective Griff said as he shuffled past his partner. He had witnessed many deaths before, but none struck him as hard as this one. These guys were at the peak of their career, and to have something like this take them down was truly tragic. The detective turned the corner from the backstage exit and saw the other band members standing there, solemn looks on their faces. They knew the circumstances. They knew it was over. The detective approached them unsure of how to broach the subject.

He was about to say something when one of the band members said, “Well detective? Is my brother really dead…?” Jacob Starr asked hoarsely. It was clear he had been crying.

“I’m afraid so son. I know it’s hard for you to deal with, but it is the truth.” Griff said. He hated being the bearer of bad news, but it came with the job.

There was a long silence. The detective could tell by the look of utter defeat on the boy’s face that he couldn’t believe it. Max Hilroy, another member of the band spoke up, “I think out of all of us, Jacob is taking it the hardest. It was his brother after all…Fame and fortune was nice, but all good things must come to an end I guess. I can remember the first day we got together. What a day that was…”

Chapter 1: In the Beginning

Wednesday, January 2, 1962. The cold New York City streets are a dangerous place to be at night. A man walks the streets with his long coat billowing behind him. This man’s name is Ron Starr and he comes from a humble town on the outskirts of the city. His job led him to the city earlier today, and his car had broken down on his way home. He knew the chance he was taking walking at dark here. Still, here he was, walking to the nearest store that could help him. Sadly, all things are not meant to end happily.

Ron Starr was a well off man. He had money and even a nice ring on his finger that would catch a pretty penny. He was high class and he knew it. People envied him, and that was one of the reasons it wasn’t a good night to be him.

In the shadows of a back alley lurked a man. This man was poor, and happened to come across something he could use today. He saw the glint of Ron’s ring from his place of concealment, and he was captivated. This man would be his ticket out of poverty. He silently followed Ron, making sure that he was out of sight. Ron— refusing to give in to his imagination—did not turn when he felt eyes on him. He often had odd feelings, but they never proved true. So the man gained on him.

A call came through on Ron’s phone just as he was cutting through a park. He sat on the bench and answered it. As his pursuer inched closer, he slowly took out what he found lying in the street today: A large bladed knife. Ron was too busy talking on the phone to notice the hand that was slowly reaching to grab him. In one swift motion, the man grabbed Ron, and held him still.

“Goodnight mister. Have a nice sleep.”

As he said those words, he ripped the knife through the neck of his prey. Ron’s body fell lifeless to the ground, and the man walked off with the ring. The news would be delivered to his family the next day. Susan, Jacob, and John Starr would be in mourning. Such was the way of life…

How is it now?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:24 am
You need to change the way you lead into chapter 1. Someone remember and trailing off, it simply doesn't look or flow right with the story. It's all fairly calm, despite the fact someone was just killed. Plus, it's a bit short. I know it's just to introduce us to the story, but a little more wouldn't go wrong.

Also, there is no real physical factors to go on with these people. I imagine for the Starr's, your building up to do that in chapter 2, but, really, you usually need to know that pretty quickly, to set an image in a readers head.

I will say the start isn't bad, as beginning with a murder is eye-catching.  

Yaoinaut

7,700 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Brandisher 100
The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items