Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:55 pm
I'm staying out of this... and you know, Seiryna, ADnD is a lot more optional than you think... just because there's no physical options to write down doesn't mean you can't do stuff. Ask the DM, he'll tell you what you need to do.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:17 pm
Your thoughts of D&D are too modern and high-fantasy while I've always enjoyed the Tolkein feeling to D&D. Which is why I find more comfort and joy when I play a game that consists of Elves, Dwarves, Humans, Gnomes and Hobbits; or Halfling if you want to use their technical name.

When I started 3rd and 3.5, I thought it was an interesting system that allowed older generation players like me enjoy a more in-depth version and would add a new intriguing way of playing the game. It was fun until they started releasing new books that gave players more bizarre abilities, feats, and skills. I admit it was all fascinating at first but it became too out of control. People rely too much on their stats, abilities and so forth to have fun. To me, 3.5 took away the essence of the game it once had. It's too much like 4th, but with less-powers and a little more role play.

I hate how 3.5 allowed you to use Monster Races, races of creatures you'd normally fight. I don't allow Half-Orcs, Orcs, Goblins, Kobolds, or any of those races walk in any of my campaigns cause they're meant for NPC play. Or so I thought when I first started D&D. I find it retarded when people want to be Half-This, Half-That, with this other template for abilities that will benefit you. When people do that, all it tells me is that they care about how strong they are. And that, is Roll Playing. People who are looking into making the best character they can to enjoy their min-maxed character.

While not all people design character to min-max, people look to abilities that would benefit their character by a slight degree. People are far too concerned with "Builds." All I hear are "Builds." People pre-plan their character for their enjoyment and so on. They choose classes for abilities and multiclass to gain more skills and abilities. People are usually 5 classes by level 10 or 15 and it's too damn ridiculous in my opinion.

I felt a sense of more role play in 2nd that 3.5 didn't offer. I won't get into detail cause it's something I'm not entirely sure I can explain. You'd have to play to understand. Otherwise it'll be lost on you. Why bother trying to teach the ignorant when you can do more to educate other more willing candidates?

If you need to have high stats to play D&D. You're not my type of player.
If you need to have more than 1 class and 1 PRC. You're not my type of player.
If you need to kill other NPCs for the fun of it, or kill other PCs. You're not my type of player.
If you need to have templates, monster humanoid races, bizarre classes, a lot of abilities, all the skills, and want to be able to do everything essentially. You're not my type of player.

I'd DM you a game, but you've already declined.

Deadusernamelol

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:43 pm
Oh man I haven't done this in a while, wheee!

[EC2] Carthinator
Your thoughts of D&D are too modern and high-fantasy while I've always enjoyed the Tolkein feeling to D&D.

Fantasy happens, memes and themes in fiction change and evolve over time. You like Tolkien, good for you! but that's hardly a fair criticism of what someone else likes.
[EC2] Carthinator
I admit it was all fascinating at first but it became too out of control.

For you?
[EC2] Carthinator
People rely too much on their stats, abilities and so forth to have fun.

Blanket statement
[EC2] Carthinator
To me, 3.5 took away the essence of the game it once had. It's too much like 4th, but with less-powers and a little more role play.

Ill-defined opinion

[EC2] Carthinator
I hate how 3.5 allowed you to use Monster Races, races of creatures you'd normally fight. I don't allow Half-Orcs, Orcs, Goblins, Kobolds, or any of those races walk in any of my campaigns cause they're meant for NPC play.

I have my AD&D 2e Humanoids Handbook, it has rules for playing everything from a goblin to a firbolg.
[EC2] Carthinator
Or so I thought when I first started D&D. I find it retarded when people want to be Half-This, Half-That, with this other template for abilities that will benefit you. When people do that, all it tells me is that they care about how strong they are. And that, is Roll Playing.

That is powergaming, and it happened quite a bit in 2e too, especially once they started releasing all the extra optional accessory books. "Roll playing" would imply that die rolls has something to do with success while a good powergamer makes sure that's not an issue.

[EC2] Carthinator
While not all people design character to min-max, people look to abilities that would benefit their character by a slight degree. People are far too concerned with "Builds." All I hear are "Builds." People pre-plan their character for their enjoyment and so on. They choose classes for abilities and multiclass to gain more skills and abilities. People are usually 5 classes by level 10 or 15 and it's too damn ridiculous in my opinion.
This is a bit of hyperbole, but the pre-building is an acknowledged issue with 3rd ed. It's one reason retraining was introduced in PHB2 and made a core rule in 4th edition.

[EC2] Carthinator
I felt a sense of more role play in 2nd that 3.5 didn't offer. I won't get into detail cause it's something I'm not entirely sure I can explain.

How did I guess?
[EC2] Carthinator
You'd have to play to understand. Otherwise it'll be lost on you. Why bother trying to teach the ignorant when you can do more to educate other more willing candidates?

I've played 2e, can you explain it to me yet?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:37 pm
That was a pretty scathing review of another person's opinions.  

KamikaziFreak

Deadusernamelol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:27 pm
Ha ha. Arc pwn'd me.

I have no interest in fighting a battle that ends up in neither party winning.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:10 pm
[EC2] Carthinator
Your thoughts of D&D are too modern and high-fantasy while I've always enjoyed the Tolkein feeling to D&D. Which is why I find more comfort and joy when I play a game that consists of Elves, Dwarves, Humans, Gnomes and Hobbits; or Halfling if you want to use their technical name.

I'll agree with Arc here, if my thoughts are too 'modern' yours are to 'old school'. also why do I get the feeling like somewhere in that is a hidden message. 'you think differently then me so you're wrong.' XD

[EC2] Carthinator

People rely too much on their stats, abilities and so forth to have fun. To me, 3.5 took away the essence of the game it once had. It's too much like 4th, but with less-powers and a little more role play.

people is to general a term, lets for the lack of a better word use "The World of Warcraft Generation" or the "Wizard fan boys" the people who think the only way to play the game is to have everything handed to you, and who think its all about doing the most damage, having the best char.

[EC2] Carthinator

I hate how 3.5 allowed you to use Monster Races, races of creatures you'd normally fight. I don't allow Half-Orcs, Orcs, Goblins, Kobolds, or any of those races walk in any of my campaigns cause they're meant for NPC play. Or so I thought when I first started D&D. I find it retarded when people want to be Half-This, Half-That, with this other template for abilities that will benefit you. When people do that, all it tells me is that they care about how strong they are. And that, is Roll Playing. People who are looking into making the best character they can to enjoy their min-maxed character.

again agreeing with Arc here. AD&D 2e Humanoids Handbook. I have it to lol, and I like the beast people in it, just cause you have to go Rawr~ alot XD
and while I have no problem with people playing Monster Races such as...Half-Orcs, Orcs, Goblins, Kobolds, so long as they do it correctly, most don't.
as for the underlined part...I couldn't agree more. in the right hands, and used properly templates can be wonderful. hell my favorite race is actually a template with a LA+0. I just pick base race of human, so I don't get a bunch of bonuses on top of my template. it's when people start adding template after template after template on to one char. just because technically you can, that it gets retarded.

[EC2] Carthinator

While not all people design character to min-max, people look to abilities that would benefit their character by a slight degree.

Does your fighter have Underwater Basket weaving as a feat?
if not then I hate to tell you, but you're part of 'those people' who pick feats to "benefit their character by a slight degree."

[EC2] Carthinator

People are far too concerned with "Builds." All I hear are "Builds." People pre-plan their character for their enjoyment and so on. They choose classes for abilities and multiclass to gain more skills and abilities. People are usually 5 classes by level 10 or 15 and it's too damn ridiculous in my opinion.

First off, its a game you're suppose to enjoy it. wouldn't be much point in playing if you hated the char. and game you played in. But I get what you're saying and agree with it, to a point. you kinda have to pre-plan some things, or at least have an idea where you want to go, or you'll end up nowhere really.
as for the multiclassing...I don't like it either XD
Rouge/Assassin is my main 1base/1PrC as it should be.
for Cleric I normally go pure cleric, same for bard. cause I think all the bard PrCs kinda suck =/

[EC2] Carthinator

If you need to have high stats to play D&D. You're not my type of player.

I don't need all high stats, just charisma and dex. =p
just cause you think it's cool to take a 10 on all your stats, doesn't mean it actually is. I use my stats in my role playing.
so I like having highs and lows.

[EC2] Carthinator

If you need to have more than 1 class and 1 PRC. You're not my type of player.

to each his own I guess, but I like only having 1class/1PrC XD

[EC2] Carthinator

If you need to kill other NPCs for the fun of it, or kill other PCs. You're not my type of player.

I only kill other PCs if they really deserve it. AkA if you try to kill and rape my char. yeah I'm gonna fight back. XD
as for NPCs it depends..I don't go around slaughtering people for the fun of it.

[EC2] Carthinator

If you need to have templates, monster humanoid races, bizarre classes, a lot of abilities, all the skills, and want to be able to do everything essentially. You're not my type of player.

So you don't like bards or rogues I take it? XD
everything else has already been covered.

[EC2] Carthinator

I'd DM you a game, but you've already declined.

I just didn't like AD&D. No cute races, no being able to read. and you don't like my 3.5 chars. XD  

Seiryna

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces