Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
College Money

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Universities
  are expensive.
View Results

iTootsie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:06 pm
None.

I consider playing Violin on the streets of Seattle.
Then considered being shanked.
Or fighting an old guy with a saw for a spot on the sidewalk.
(Yes, I've seen old guys play the saw.)

I have considered just holding up a sign,
asking for help for my dream school.

I applied to 12 scholarships.
Wrote essays.
Took tests.

And nothing.

I'm supposed to leave in a month...

And I have no money for the $22,000 a year!

Help?!

I is scared.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:22 pm
Financial Aid. Though it might be a little late to get anything now. Most money is given away during the summer, but you might get something. They gave me enough that the rest of the stuff not covered by my scholarships has been paid for. They won't give you 22k obviously, but hopefully something.

Apply to more and more scholarships. You honestly don't have a high chance of winning most of the scholarships you apply for. I can't remember how many I applied for, and I only got one private scholarship (my other two either came from my university as an automatic scholarship or from the state as a scholarship that I just had to fill requirements for). I remember reading about someone who applied for like 70 something scholarships and probably won maybe 10-20 of them. Made a killing in the end though.

All I can say is, you're going to be taking out a s**t ton of loans. @___@ Private colleges (or out of state universities - whichever you are going to) are expensive. It's why I stuck to a smaller state university.

Edit:
There's also websites that students put their profiles on and see if people will donate money for college to them? XD Szen sent me a link to one of them to show me a bit ago, but I have no idea how long ago that was, so I can't find it in our giant mound of conversations.
Google it? Just make sure whichever site you go to is legit first. @__@ I can just imagine many of them being scams.

You could also set up a Help You Go To College fund and tell all your relatives you would rather money than presents for any and all birthdays/Christmases/etc.  

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

scrub
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:39 am
$22,000 is crazy. Your school system sucks, how are working class families expected to afford that >_>  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:26 am
Well, I'm assuming she is either going to a private school or out of state or has extra costs that I don't.
My tuition at my school is maybe 2-2.5k a semester (depending on how many and what type of classes I take). My dorm is 2.3k. The meal plan I had to buy the first year was like 1.5k. So, last year my school cost around 11.6k for the year. A little less now that I'm going to be able to buy and cook my own food.
(Though I didn't spend that much myself because of two tuition scholarships.)  

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

scrub
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:06 am
PainfullyVivid
Well, I'm assuming she is either going to a private school or out of state or has extra costs that I don't.
My tuition at my school is maybe 2-2.5k a semester (depending on how many and what type of classes I take). My dorm is 2.3k. The meal plan I had to buy the first year was like 1.5k. So, last year my school cost around 11.6k for the year. A little less now that I'm going to be able to buy and cook my own food.
(Though I didn't spend that much myself because of two tuition scholarships.)
Those costs sound very similar to what I pay for University, taking the currency difference into account.

I self cater instead of a meal plan, so I probably spend a bit more on food as I like eating nice things. Worth it though.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:23 am
Fill out the FASFA (or FAFSA however that stupid thing is spelled) and apply for financial aid. It may help, it may not. But 22k a year? That's not too bad considering my tuition is 32k after my scholarship is used. Where you going to college?  

Amazing Afro Girl
Crew

4,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items