Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Races question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dame Alex

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:52 pm
Hey guys, I'm new to the guild, but I'm wondering something about races. I'm kind of a newbie in D&D, since even though I've played a few campaigns (I started with version 3.5) I didn't know all the rules then and still don't. I've read through the Player's Handbook for 3.5, and I feel like it's all clicking, but there's the question of race.

In D&D v.3.5 there are the standard playable races: humans, dwarves, elves, gnomes, half-elves, half-orcs, and halflings. But I've seen people play quite a few other races over the years (shifters, changelings, cat-people [Felids? Catlings?], Dragonborn, and others). Are you allowed to play these races in any campaign, or does it depend on the campaign, DM, world, etc? If so, what would be the best for a druid? I don't want to be too fancy-pancy or uber powerful, cause that's just boring, but is there a race that would work for a druid? I thought about an elf, but if there's a better one out there...  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:03 pm
Depends on the DM and his/her world setting. I have a lot of 3.5 books, and not a single one includes any additional races, so I don't even know where to direct you to look.

Personally, in 3.5, I have trouble convincing myself to playing anything else but a human, so I say go with that, because they are the best race ^-^  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:07 pm
A lot depends on what sources are open to the players. The core races (those seen in the PHB) are usually open to all players in most campaigns. But, should the DM want a bigger variety, less humans, more demi-humans, etc. S/he may allow different races and templates to increase variety.

So it can be dependent on the DM, but mostly it's the world, in conjunction with the DM.

Finally, many of the CharOp threads for various classes still exist online. Most of the core classes are well represented for these. For druids? Go... here

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:17 am
The Eberron Campaign Settings had four new races that didn't require level adjustments. Shifters, Changelings, Warforged and Kalashtar. The Races series of supplements all had new races too.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Seiryna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:58 pm
I'm prolly the only person that takes felids seriously =x
but they're my favorite race (template whatever you OMG A TEMPLATE BROKEN BROKEN!! people can all go to hell.)
as for other non base races.
Races of.... books are good
Monster Manuals have player races you can pick from to.
variant elves, dwarfs, gnomes, halflings, and other things.
Catfolk (as well as some other races) are in D&D minitures book I believe? not sure as I don't really like them, and find Felid so much better.

personal thoughts on the subject:
I don't think it's so much the world as the DM. I mean I've played a Felid in Forgotten Realms setting, and Ebberron. I personally find that to an extent you can fit almost any char. in to a game. it just takes a little more work, and thought.
where did they come from.
how did they get there.
why are they there.
then you have to take in to account you'll stand out XD
and people may view you differently. either with hate or curiosity.
one of the games I played in, as a Felid. one of the towns we were in had a thing against demi-humans. and they were all 'Kill on Sight' so while I don't agree with DMs forcing people to play only base races, it's their choice and it is easier for newer DMs.

Sidenote: tho I'm all for non-base race chars. I do think there should be a limit. to something like LA+1 or 2 depending on the game. and no half minotaur, ogre, giant, half dragon, pixies. or stupid stuff like that, we've all seen it. -.-'  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:33 pm
Catfolk are in Mini Handbook and Races of the Wild. I've never heard of Felids  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Dame Alex

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:37 pm
Thanks for all the comments, guys. This really makes me feel better. I want to do the best I can when preparing for a character, and races were something that always confused me.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:07 pm
Arc Vembris

It's a template from the little book known as the "Book of Erotic Fantasy."
Used sparingly, the few items (such as PrC, templates, and the only class) can be useful in select situations, without the aspect of "sex" built in to it at all.

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200

Seiryna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:26 pm
Seph Baelzara
Arc Vembris

It's a template from the little book known as the "Book of Erotic Fantasy."
Used sparingly, the few items (such as PrC, templates, and the only class) can be useful in select situations, without the aspect of "sex" built in to it at all.

just like all (most) books...
I use 9-10 books just to make one char.
A race from here, a class from that, an item from there, a spell from this, and a feat from here.
I don't like everything from everywhere, cause some stuff just doesn't make since. so I just take what I like and go hey DM can I use this stuff. It's from this book, this chapter, this page number, and this is why I wanna use it/my char has it.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:58 pm
Arc Vembris

Yeah same here. And even if I did know what a felid template did, I think I'd wanna stick with Necropolitan template for lulz. XD  

arhythmatick

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff