Welcome to Gaia! ::

Final Fantasy Addicts Anonymous Guild

Back to Guilds

"Helping" Final Fantasy fans with their addictions since 2004. 

Tags: Final Fantasy, RPGs, Square Enix 

Reply Questions, Answers, and FAQs
Worth it?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nobodies Requiem

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:36 am
This isn't really a gaming question so much as a need for advice:

I've always known about the PSP but I used to think it inferior to the DS and larger Sony consoles when it comes to the game quality. But recently, I've heard about a couple of games I'm actually pretty strongly interested in; FF7 Crisis Core, KH Birth by sleep, and FF Dissidia. I've already played the major games for ps1+ and I've been interested in the side stories and all that.

So I'm asking people who have played these games or just PSP users: Do you think the psp is worth it for the high price and a couple of pretty good seeming games?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:10 am
I Have one,
I Go with;Mostly,
The End of Dissidia Is Looks like A PS2 (I hope they make a 2)
On a Side Note:Kh Birth by sleep Is Out!?
Yay!(Don't Get out Alot)  

Dusky of Old

Feral Prophet

Crazy_Little_Red_Head102

2,350 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:24 am
Ummm I've played Naruto on that gaming system('twas my cousin's) and it had some great quality compared to a bunch of hand-held gaming systems I've seen so... I'd go with: Worth it.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:07 pm
shadow_of_old
I Have one,
I Go with;Mostly,
The End of Dissidia Is Looks like A PS2 (I hope they make a 2)
On a Side Note:Kh Birth by sleep Is Out!?
Yay!(Don't Get out Alot)

No, BBS isn't out until September D: (can't wait until it comes out)  

Nobodies Requiem

Lore_Maester

3,200 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Market Browser 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:19 pm
Personally I really like the PSP as far as viewing quality. I've been using my brother's (since he's pretty much lost all his PSP games) to play Dissidia and its very pretty. I'm very into aesthetics as far as gaming since I'm a story-driven player (due to my insignificant gaming skills) and Dissidia ranks up there with as far as graphics especially for a hand-held console. In my opinion the DS is more snazzy as far as having two screens and thus more viewing space and creative approaches (if that makes sense) but the environments and characters end up a bit blockier (thinking back to the recreated IV for the DS). So yeah its basically up to what type of games you like to play, why you play them, and your devotion to the FF series. (I ended up buying a PS3 just for XIII, best choice I ever made!)  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:34 pm
I'd say that if you have the money, it's worth it. Dissidia is amazing, Crisis Core is amazing, I'm sure Birth by Sleep will be amazing, and even though I suck at Tactics, I hear from other people that it's amazing. sweatdrop I've also been looking for Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology, if you've ever played the Tales games. And the nice thing about the PSP is that you can use it for other things, like an mp3 player or for Internet (unless you want a PSPgo? Not sure what those things can do, honestly).  

Ravenwolf
Captain

Friendly Werewolf

Maluc_Fieri

8,300 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:25 am
FFT is amazing, but it was better on PS1, before they translated the entire game's script into that old english style speak they had in FFXII. The cutscenes and added storyline are worth it though. While it's a completely different style of gameplay and may be a little more hardcore than you're searching for; the Monster Hunter series is THE reason to get a PSP. I have a game with 330+ hours on it and I'm still finding new things to do. The God of War prequels are another great bonus that hasn't been spoken about yet, the first one being just as good as any of the console based titles and the second looking promising now that it's taken gameplay functions from GoW3. I got a PSP at an expensive price and I haven't regretted it for a second. Though if I were you, I'd stay away from the PSP Go, you can't hack that one and they find more ways to charge you for stuff.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:15 am
The PSP is pretty awesome. I've never liked handheld systems, but the PSP changed that for me~

Crisis Core is an amazing game. Tactics is very fun too (and so pretty~). I'm not such a big fan of Dissidia, though. And while BBS isn't out yet, I've been hearing really good things about it.

I use my PSP for video and music too. The internet browser is pretty good too.  

ArikaiHart

MythicalRealism

Romantic Friend

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:59 am
I say PSP > DS.

Not only can you do more (pictures, music, videos, internet), it has way better games than the DS. I have both and I personally prefer my PSP.

Dissidia is amazing! I still play it. Crisis Core was an awesome game, the gameplay made it worthwhile.

Birth by Sleep still hasn't been released in the U.S., but I'm sure it will be amazing, just like its predecessors.
PSP is definitely worth it.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:40 pm
Thanks for all the replies! Its really helpful c:. But allow me one more question:
I heard from my cousin that the Pspgo store doesn't have the same collection of games that the psps 1-3000 discs have. Is that just a rumor or what?  

Nobodies Requiem

ArikaiHart

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:34 pm
Ah, I dunno about that. You'd probably wanna check if the games you want are avaliable on the GO. For the FF and KH games, they're popular franchises, so I'm pretty sure they'd be avaliable.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:26 am
That is one BIG reason why I am against the PSP Go. The library is lacking immensely. Not to mention once you run out of memory space for the games you've downloaded, you'll have to buy them again if you delete them and want to play them again.

I'd rather have dozens of space taking discs than to have to buy a good game several times just to play it more than once.  

Maluc_Fieri

8,300 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200

Ravenwolf
Captain

Friendly Werewolf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:51 am
Oh, jeez, I had another reply typed out that I didn't send. sweatdrop Here's what I had, anyway...

Let's see... I found this linked from Wikipedia. It basically says that all newer games and most older games are available on the PSPgo as of last October. I can't be sure, but that might mean that if an older game isn't available now, it never will be. Here's a list of games that are available now; Dissidia's on it, but Crisis Core and Tactics aren't. confused  
Questions, Answers, and FAQs

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games