Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Okay

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Alzzak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:29 pm
Hi again,

Alright, here is the thing. I would like to start a game, though I haven't ran one before. Nor have I ever played over this kind of medium. So, I would like to try.

From my time on gaia I know that posting this way is slow. Taking little over a month to pass a single day, and me in college i don't see an issue with that.

any advice?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:17 am
I would recommend playing in a game in order to get familiar with the medium. And different games move at different paces, it all relies on the posting frequency of the players within. A dedicated DM can enforce a strict policy of skipping players who are absent for an extended period of time, thus keeping the pace up for the others. Time inside combat typically takes longer, as this requires the participation of all the players. A full round of combat in the space of a realtime week is a fairly realistic pace for a game, given low player absenteeism.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Alzzak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:56 pm
That was one of the reasons I was thinking on doing two, One here and another over an IM or something like it. To try and get familiar with both mediums. The only kind I have played up until now was only on table top. But, the dm left and took the groups(my) dice with him. Also my gamer's store recently went bankrupted and I have no idea where the next closest one would be.

The one here was going to be a dnd 3.5 thing(Haven't tried 4.0 yet.). And the other, I am not too sure.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:24 pm
If you are any kind of financially independent, get your books online. Amazon.com has a wide variety of books new and used, and most of them are marked well under market price.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Alzzak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:15 am
Alrighty then....I got the player's handbook fourth ed. After first look one word....HELP!!  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:19 am
Suggestion: Look twice. Really, this is one of the more straightforward versions of D&D.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Alzzak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:55 am
It doesn't help, that at the time I was also trying to do homework. So I was trying to multitask, which I am terrible at.

Any way, I understand most of it but, I am lost on the powers. Like when it says 2[w]+intelligent modifier. What is [W]? Would any one care if I read in on a game here. That was how I learned to play the other systems I know.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:59 am
Alzzak
It doesn't help, that at the time I was also trying to do homework. So I was trying to multitask, which I am terrible at.

Any way, I understand most of it but, I am lost on the powers. Like when it says 2[w]+intelligent modifier. What is [W]? Would any one care if I read in on a game here. That was how I learned to play the other systems I know.
[W] stands for Weapon Damage. If a power has 1[w]+Str modifier, and you have a weapon that does 2d6, you roll the 2d6 and add yer Strength modifier to the damage. If it says 2[W] you roll twice, so you roll 4d6.  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:11 pm
Feel free to read through any of the games, none of them are private to view.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:33 pm
Alzzak

this is a decent idea to get a grip on what the core rules are, and once you understand all that, you can read the parts like races and classes and feats that just give you things to do with those core rules.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Alzzak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:51 pm
Thanks all for the advice and stuff. All I have left to read in the website Sporkmaster5000 gave, is chapter 9. And things are seeming clearish. But, the only way to test is to build a character and learn from experiance. Anyone know if Rain is still accepting for Merc Work or if there is any other game open?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:21 am
He should be considering Merc work is "always" recruiting. *nods*  

5Crispy

Alzzak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:17 am
Thanks again, and I am sorry that I am a newbie. I just have one last question and I probably missed the information when I was reading. Rituals, Can anyone cast them (with the Ritual caster feat and having the listed skill) or is it only spellcasters?  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games