Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Camera Wishlist

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The_Wizard

Invisible Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:08 pm
Cameras can get pretty expensive depending on what you'll looking for.

So what camera have you been eyeing but can't get right now due to whatever.

For me there are two, one takes film and the other is one of two DSLRs, either one I'll be fine with.

First one is the Lubitel Universal 166+, a recreation of a Soviet-era classic Twin Lens Reflex camera by The Lomographic Society International.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
http://microsites.lomography.com/lubitel166+/

This is an great looking camera that aside from shooting the traditional medium format 120 film can also shoot in 35mm film as well.

It costs $350.00USD from Lomography.com and while I'm not sure about the rest of the world shipping to Canada and the US is Free for all orders over $200USD.

Current exchange rate puts $200USD = $205.36CAD.

Switching over to the Canadian site it's apparently going to cost me whatever the current exchange rate is, as when I checked yesterday it was listed at $360.26CAD but today it's $359.45CAD.

To bad I don't have the money to spare to pick this up, I do however remember where an antique camera store in my area is so I'll have to see about their selection of TLR cameras. Of course those true vintage cameras only work with 120 film... and 120 film is a bit expensive. Though I suppose I can use one of the internet mods to make it work with 35mm film, I rather have this one as I'll be able to use 35mm without modifying it.

In the meantime I'm waiting for my Gakkenflex TLR camera to arrive in the mail so I'll have some fun using up the 35mm film that's been sitting in the fridge like forever.

Officially, the 35mm film in the fridge has been expired since 2005, but since freezing film slows down all the chemical processes of the film, theoretically you can prolong the life of the film indefinitely. When film is aged, it can result in unpredictable color, saturation, and contrast shifts. I shot a roll a few days ago to test it out, they came out pretty good so I should get some decent shots out of the remaining rolls of film.

Okay and I'm getting off topic now, back to my wishlist.

The second camera on my wishlist is a Canon Rebel.
Either the T1i as the T2i is still too expesive for me or the older XSi.

The T1i will cost be around $800CAD, however I'll also be perfectly happy with the XSi which will cost me around $650CAD.

Whenever I get enough money for one I'll probably go for the XSi and spend the difference on a good tripod.

Anyways, enough about me, what camera is on your wishlist?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:36 pm
I own a T1i. I love it because it has a lot of megapixel booty for not such a bad price tag.
I'd love a fisheye lens personally. Oh and a telephoto zoom lens. I also need a better tripod, and I want some strobes as well.
Yes I do want to be a photographer.  

Light up the Night

Tipsy Lunatic

The_Wizard

Invisible Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:02 pm
Can't help you with the tripod but I can find you a Fisheye and Telephoto:

The Diana F+ SLR Adaptors:
http://microsites.lomography.com/diana/products/slr

They have two adapter kits, one for Canon EOS cameras and the other for Nikon F series cameras.

The Canon SLR Adaptor & Diana Lenses Bundle is available for purchace from lomography.com

Bundle includes:
- Canon SLR Adaptor
- Diana+ 20mm Fisheye Lens
- Diana+ 38mm Super-Wide Lens
- Diana+ 55mm Wide-Angle & Close-Up lenses
- Diana+ 110mm Telephoto Lens

Works with Canon EOS (d)SLRs (for best results use a film based camera or a full frame digital – Please be aware of the crop factor due to the smaller film/chip size)

Quote:
Lomography DianaF+ 38mm Super Wide Lens on a 35 mm is equivalent to a 72mm standard lens. Used on an APS-C sensor DSLR it has the effect of a 115mm telephoto lens!

Lomography DianaF+ 20mm Fisheye Lens used on 35mm cameras has the effect of a 38mm Wide Angle Lens. On an APS-C sensor it’s equivalent to a 60mm lens.

Lomography DianaF+ 55mm Close-up & Wide-angle Lens is equivalent to a 105mm telephoto – lens when attached to your 35mm camera. Mounted on an APS-C DSLR you get an amazing 170mm super – telephoto effect.

The DianaF+ 110 mm Telephoto Lens in combination with any 35mm camera will act like a 200mm super telephoto lens. With an APS-C the Lomography Diana F+ Telephoto Lens is equivalent to a 320mm super – duper – telephoto lens!

Quote from: http://microsites.lomography.com/diana/products/slr

You can also of course buy the Adapter and Lens separately too.  
The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games