Submit

Saphiragirl1084

Liberal Bloodsucker

6,550 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:59 pm
Something I just wanted to point out: Did you ever notice an absence of people with darker colored skin in Manga? Now I'm not saying that Manga-kas are racist or anything... I'm just sad to see an absence of diversity in many mangas... Now I'm whiter than the walls in a hospital, but I still think it's sad to see this absence of variety. So this is what I have to challenge you, my artistically inclined friends: Draw different ethnicities and post them here. I want to see all kinds of people from all walks of life, please. This isn't a contest, you won't win anything. But you MIGHT challenge yourself as an artist, and perhaps learn something. That's the best prize of all, isn't it?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:23 pm
ok for my rebuttle:
1. there are plenty dark skinned people in manga
-buccha and the american president from air gear
-caska from berserk
-don kanoji, yoruichi shihouin and kaname tousen from bleach
-kurai from angel sanctuary
-a whole bunch of people in ghost in the shell 2

2. most people in manga are yellow/japanese/asians and its set in japan (how can so many things happen on such a puni little island! :O i guess this is what u call national pride)...so idk what ur really trying to say as 97% (this is a true!) of the population in japan are pure japanese sweatdrop ...

3. heres the thing. asians dont really discriminate against black/brown people. we have enough trouble discriminate against ourselves according to the region wer from. btw, black people are even more popular than white people in asia, i can give u personal guarentee on that smile

conclusion: no, ive never noticed an absence of people with darker colored skin in Manga  

Shuuchi

Devoted Lunatic

Kupocake
Vice Captain

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:51 pm
Moved to the Chatterbox. The Main Guild Forum is reserved for asking for critique for your artwork. 3nodding

Also, I'd like to point out that not every person living in Japan is Japanese. It has a fairly large Korean population, although due to discrimination, Koreans tend not to show up at all in Japanese manga/anime. Koreans have a pretty hard life there.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:09 pm
thats y koreans have their own manhwa

koreans in japan are like black people in old america, they live in a specific district and go to specially build schools, they also have to wear special uniforms so that everyone can tell from a glance that they are zainichi (在日) which is short for japanese koreans

btw, the zainich are at minority in japan, NOT a "fairly large" part of the population

from what ive heard, white people cant tell asians apart, chinese? japanese? korean? bah~ xp  

Shuuchi

Devoted Lunatic

Kupocake
Vice Captain

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:37 pm
I said "fairly large Korean population." Not "the population of Japan has a large minority of Koreans." Los Angeles has a large Filipino population, but it only makes up less than 1% of the whole city. Wording is important.

I doubt that you can tell many Asians apart. There are many different ethnicities within the same country. For example, I may be considered Chinese, but I'm not Han. So, my skin is darker than normal, and with my slight Filipino blood, I have been told I look Indian or Mexican several times before.

You can take this test and see if you can tell the difference between Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. It requires an account, but it doesn't take long.  
Chatterbox

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games