Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
GO GO POWER RANGERS! (a D&D concept) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:45 pm
There are rules for combining mecha in d20 Future and d2 Future Tech. This said, I don't see this translating well to D&D, especially not to 4e. The idea of a team of "teens with attitude" having episodic adventures of against a monster-a-week works just fine, but combining your combat roles into a single gargantuan construct just shuts the game down pretty bad.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:48 pm
Another Megazord idea, Tank control. I mean, you have the Zoids making up the legs control walking speed, the Zoids making up the arms are attacks, head would be the leader's spot(Same as the tank commander. He would be the one calling out orders for the others to stay on track, though it is up to the others to see the orders though.) I never did understand what the Pink's zoid did.

Back to your last post, I didn't mean to give everyone an animal. My Idea was that the animals are near by, the fighting will still be done by the rangers. They are just there if something goes wrong. Their power could come from the Zordon guy. So they could be ordered to stand back and not interfere unless ordered and he has to okay that order.  

Alzzak

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:49 pm
Arc Vembris
There are rules for combining mecha in d20 Future and d2 Future Tech. This said, I don't see this translating well to D&D, especially not to 4e. The idea of a team of "teens with attitude" having episodic adventures of against a monster-a-week works just fine, but combining your combat roles into a single gargantuan construct just shuts the game down pretty bad.

True, which is why I'm thinking of just creating a character for the Megazord. The players would have access to its abilities, and would get to perform a move, minor, or standard action (2 of the 3). As an added bonus, they can charge for a super attack, which succeeds on a roll of 7 on a d10. It takes four charges to utilize the attack.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:55 pm
Alzzak
Another Megazord idea, Tank control. I mean, you have the Zoids making up the legs control walking speed, the Zoids making up the arms are attacks, head would be the leader's spot(Same as the tank commander. He would be the one calling out orders for the others to stay on track, though it is up to the others to see the orders though.) I never did understand what the Pink's zoid did.

Well, in the shows, they all control the Megazord...at least, that's what I recall. Also, players may be inclined to be a part of the action, as opposed to just moving around.

Quote:
Back to your last post, I didn't mean to give everyone an animal. My Idea was that the animals are near by, the fighting will still be done by the rangers. They are just there if something goes wrong. Their power could come from the Zordon guy. So they could be ordered to stand back and not interfere unless ordered and he has to okay that order.

Well, that's how it usually works in the show.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Alzzak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:00 pm
I thought in the show it was the little robot thingy that had to okay the order. Ether way, that is the only ideas I could come up with for now.

I for one say, toss the Megazord idea out, at least for now. I agree with Arc and think it would be more trouble than the idea is worth.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:36 pm
Alzzak
I thought in the show it was the little robot thingy that had to okay the order. Ether way, that is the only ideas I could come up with for now.

I for one say, toss the Megazord idea out, at least for now. I agree with Arc and think it would be more trouble than the idea is worth.

Fair enough.

I don't think I'll toss out the Megazord idea just yet. I figure if anything, I can create a template megazord and see how that works out, and if it doesn't, well, at least I tried.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:03 pm
Well, if you use the megazord, it'd definitely be useful to look into the Warforged Titans. Either that or scrap a single "MEGAZORD" and instead go with some of the other ideas in which everyone has their own 'zord'. For a mystic setting, calling them Titans, Giants, ect works. They wouldn't be as strong as a single one would be, perhaps even being not as big.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:24 pm
Raganui Minamoto
Well, if you use the megazord, it'd definitely be useful to look into the Warforged Titans. Either that or scrap a single "MEGAZORD" and instead go with some of the other ideas in which everyone has their own 'zord'. For a mystic setting, calling them Titans, Giants, ect works. They wouldn't be as strong as a single one would be, perhaps even being not as big.

Well...that's the idea. Essentially, the regular zords would probably be rehashed monsters or something, depending on the zord theme I go with.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:22 am
Raganui Minamoto

I like this idea much better. If everyone gets their own ride and its maybe not as big, it means you're not stretching as far from traditional combat. The big issue is to not let it interfere with the standard combat abilities of your characters,the Rangers typically were only able to jump, kick, and use their individual weapon/lasers, but D&D heroes have the skills to take on pretty big things all by themselves using spells, evocations, zones, and lots of things. 'Zords might be superfluous in that sense.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:52 am
In the Ninja season of Power Rangers, they got the Shogun Zords, which were all large human robots that combined into a larger human robot. You could go that route.

As for a combined mode, you could also have each character assigned a position and stick to their role. Character 1 gets the move action because he makes up the feet, Character 2 gets the standard action because they control the arm, Character 3 gets to spend surges because he's the head and leader, etc.

Just my two cents. I kinda dig an idea for a 4e power rangers game. Of course, I would also like a Marvel heroes 4e game too, so take that as you will.  

iDragow

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:11 am
Course, system also dictates a lot on how you go about this.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff