Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Year 2 of college starts tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Den Dristige Djevelen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:45 pm
~*~

Am I excited?

Not sure.

It means waking up early, and having to be around people all day, and having to correct every teacher on my name, and having to find a safe spot in the back to ensure as little interaction as possible.
But it also means mental stimulation, a chance to write more, a bit of fresh air, and some interesting classes:
Abnormal Psychology, Intro to Sociology, Argument-Based Research, Western Civilizations, and Spanish.

I'll get back to you on that whole excitement thing.

Meanwhile, how's the pending school (or work) year for you guys?

~*~

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:48 pm
My senior year begins tomorrow.
I'm not ready.
: /

SweetScentOfSweat

6,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Citizen 200

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:00 pm
I'm pretty excited, for the most part. I'm going to be living with two of my friends and another girl, so hopefully that will be entertaining and fun and drama-free.

I'm excited for two of my classes (Drawing II and Modern Grammar), dreading and excited for two (Critical Lit. Theory - not into literary analysis and the teacher is a hard grader- and Writing Fiction - I'm a lot better at non-fiction writing, so I'm not sure how well I'll do at first), and eh about my last class (Technical Writing) which is only there as an easy elective that should boost my grade and give me 5 classes.

Having something to do during the day generally makes me more motivated to do other things too. xD  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:21 pm
I'm excited. I move into my dorm this Weds, and school starts the following Monday. My classes are easy and interesting (since half of them are GE's anyway; I made sure the GE's I chose were at least tolerable). Plus, I get to be a junior ROTC cadet. I actually get to give orders to my subordinates, bwahaha...  

lgtenos

Light up the Night

Tipsy Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:48 pm
I'm starting college on like the 23rd I think.
But I'm leaving for Minneapolis the 19th and moving into my dorm the 20th.
I'm pretty excited but I feel like I have a long way to go with my packing.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:14 am
i'm still in 2nd semester of first year... but it's going well.
i should be doing an assignment right now, but i'm sick therefore unable.
apparently.

i seem to be handling other aspects of the internet just fine.

i skipped my spanish prac this afternoon for the same reason (being sick), probably unwise as it's a language (obviously), but i figure i can listen to my parents talk in spanish for a while and call it study.
xD

diffun

AquilaLiberum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:39 am
I'm really scared because I can remember thinking I was such a grown up for starting a degree and now I'm entering my last year of it D:
It's going to be really tough, but interesting. My research project is on the factors that determine the structure of fish communities in shores around Northern Ireland. I'm basically going out and catching fish, then relating them to water temperature, depth etc.
As well as my research project, I'm doing a module (class) called Behavioural Ecology and Sociobiology which sounds AWESOME biggrin

~Nya-ha!~
blaugh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:22 am
I start my first year on the 26th.  

Herr Sinne

Beloved Regular

scrub
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:47 am
They haven't told me when I start back yet. I presume it will be mid September again.

I enjoyed it last year so I am looking forward to going back. I'll be in a house this year with some friends instead of a flat so that should be fun smile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:12 am
Second semester of my second year at the local community college starts this evening. I'm kind of excited yet kind of not at the same time. I have: Anatomy II, Medical Terminology, Appalachian Studies, and College Algebra. Bleh, not as hard as what I am expecting once I finally transfer to a university for Forensics though, so I guess it isn't that bad.  

khionna

Salty Wench

39,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50

Den Dristige Djevelen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:09 pm
~*~

Yaaay, everyone's excited!

So I like all my teachers, which is excellent.

I have the least of an impression of my AbPsy teacher. He seems nice. And has SEVEN CHILDREN. -dies-

My Soc teacher has the best policy on cell phones in class.
If it rings, she answers it.
If it's a text message, she reads it aloud and the class decides how to respond.
I LOVE IT.

Argument-Based Research is very energetic and eccentric.
Highlight was when he was talking about officially withdrawing as opposed to just stopping coming to class.
"I don't care if you drop or not, but if you do drop, DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOOOOTTTTTT."

My Western Civ teacher used to teach art, had a midlife crisis, and decided to go back to graduate school for a history degree. Majored, so to speak, in war history, minored in (duh) art history. He's got a fantastic voice.
Also, that class holds this one a*****e I met a year or two ago along with some classmates that I haven't seen since 8th grade. I recognized them the moment they sauntered in, and when they heard my name in the roll call, they both did a turn-and-look. RECOGNITIONNN.

My Spanish teacher is adorable. Tiny, pretty woman. She reminds me of the OCD guidance counselor in Glee. Pretty fun, though.

~*~

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:32 pm
Your first post sounds like me. XD
Including the name thing. OMG. That's why I changed the spelling of my first name (not legally though). x___x

College was not for me. I would get excited about taking classes, but then my learning style does not match up with a classroom setting. Labs and studio classes were great, but I could not stand lectures, no matter how interesting the subject. I just cannot learn that way. sad  

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

diffun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:00 pm
Den Dristige Djevelen
~*~

My Soc teacher has the best policy on cell phones in class.
If it rings, she answers it.
If it's a text message, she reads it aloud and the class decides how to respond.
I LOVE IT.

~*~

one of my media professors, for my interview subject, does that. it was rather amusing, as soon as he explained his stance on phones, someone's went off.

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games