Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Changing jobs for the first time... maybe... sort of...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

diffun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:29 pm

My local video/dvd store is adding a cafe in the next few months. My parents have been going to this place since before I was born, so the owner knows that I’m a local kid. They’re always nice there to everyone that comes in and all that jazz.
I’ve been considering looking for a new job, my current job causes me a hell of a lot of anxiety (like, physically – it’s hard to explain, but you know, the physical reactions when you become anxious) almost every night - and I'm a pretty tough person and rather good at separating my feelings from work-environments (this might be my first paid job, but I've been working doing similar -and at times, more demanding- things since I was 14 as a volunteer.)

I think I might see if they need wait staff when they’re start setting it up properly. They’re looking to be able to seat 40-50 people in their cafe and I do have experience.

I think it would be an awesome change, and it’s just around the corner from my house, rather than two-three suburbs over, which is how far away my current work place is.

Despite my 'situation' at work, I won't leave until I know I have another job lines up, or even when I've been working at another place for a little while. The cafe is opening around the time I finish uni for the year, so I will have time for both a casual-day time job and a part-time night job.

I dunno, this would be my first time leaving a job and I've not been there for a year yet... Movies, coffee and cakes and stuff..? Or even just a change of scene – I mean, sure, it’s still in hospitality, but I think it’d be better for me than where I am at the moment.

Whatcha think, Suites?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:00 pm
My job also causes me anxiety, although I'm not really sure why, exactly. I think part of it is that it's based on a grant, I don't get a lot of direction/supervision (my "main" supervisors technically live in a different city, and I've only met them once), and I've never done anything like this before. Of course, in my case, my job is just for a year. Then I'll have to find another job. I've been tempted to apply for other jobs now, but I want to keep my word and complete my year.

But if your job is causing you anxiety and you get a chance to work at that other place, I'd say go for it! Leaving a job isn't fun, but when you don't like your job, it can be very satisfying. :3

Salathielly

Dapper Mage

Saucey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:38 pm
DO IT!!!
C'mon something new and I mean it can't be that bad compared to what your job now is putting you through.

Its good to take on challenges! Plus work that's 8 minutes away is def better then 20.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:05 pm
glad to know i'm not the only one...
i mean, it's pretty pathetic that all i am is a waitress, but my job causes me anxiety. it's probably me, because i have friends who work in retail and cafes too and they can just switch off from work and i can't.

Saucey: i remember your username and font from loooong ago.
xD
i won't leave until i know i have another job anyways, and i will have to wait and see if the other place will need anyone, but i figure i'm a local kid and i have the experience. i think i will do it!

diffun

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff