Welcome to Gaia! ::

Circle of Nine

Back to Guilds

A tightly-wound RPing haven for the Guardians of the True Role-Play...the Circle of Nine! 

Tags: small, friendly, literate, awesome, pie=good 

Reply Casual Discussion
A "Project," for consideration. If you're interested.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Best old-school console?
  SNES
  Playstation
  MAME
  Turbografx
  Calecovision
  Other
  I didn't have an old school machine, my parents didn't love me.
  Atari, bitches!
View Results

Silas Parrish
Captain

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:37 pm
Alright, here's the deal. I am an avid user of emulation software. For those of you who don't know what that means, and emulator is a program that mimics a certain other program, which may otherwise be very hard to find or operate on a computer. The emulators I'm referring to specifically are for gaming consoles. I have an emulator for nearly every gaming console that's legal.
Okay, now what I'm trying to do is build a machine that runs the emulators, can store games, and can be operated by a controller, just like a Playstation or Xbox. Basically, I am building a custom gaming console that can run my emulators on the TV, like I had an old Nintendo or something hooked up. If anyone's interested in learning something and would like to help, or even if you want to build one yourself, let me know. We'll get right to work! Reply with your thoughts. ^^  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:01 pm
I be interested.
So how would this all go down?  

Frog Apocalypse
Crew

6,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Pastellfiskar
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:29 pm
I won't say I have experience in this, but I have knowledge of it. I think it would be pretty sweet. My NES controllers are showing their age and don't like to register commands sometimes, so having a device like this would be pretty nice. I'm up for helping you on my time off!  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:30 pm
Okay, here's the basic rundown:
I need some sorta case. I'm thinking a broken fat PS2 or maybe even a gutted old-school Nintendo. We could use just any computer case, but that's boring. Now then, we also will need parts. Specifically, very small parts that you can find in any laptop. Also, if anyone reading this would like me to convert an old laptop into a Playstation/SNES, I can totally do that if you supply me with parts and provide a small fee. mrgreen There needs to be a rather spacious hard drive, 500gb or more, for storing games. There needs to be a very small motherboard, with a decent processor. Athlon x2 or equivalent. It also has to be small enough to fit inside your console case. Finally, we'll put a disc drive in, so's you can play real live playstation games from the original discs. Finally, we're gonna need a GPU with a TV output for the video. That way, you can hook it up to the TV and change it to channel 4 with the VCR like in the old days. ^^ That's what I'll be doing for my game box. If you're building one, too, or would like me to build you one, the procedure is much the same.  

Silas Parrish
Captain

Dapper Genius

Jett Foulke

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:56 pm
I have to thick ps2's that i don't use. i can supply you with one or both. i think one of them still works.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:38 am
i can give two broken ps2 if you need them and i could help you on saturday and sunday if you want  

Mr_BlueCamo
Crew

Ty Gwynnia
Crew

Beloved Dark Elf

10,750 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:47 pm
I luff mah systems...But I have a most likely broken Gamecube that could probably be used.

C-Cooow! COW! *points at Le Heros*  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:36 pm
You wouldn't need the old consoles themselves. I'm actually using broken laptops for my hardware needs. I just wanted an old NES for its plastic case. That way, it'd have a very authentic old-school feel. But yeah, if anybody wants one, let me know, and we can work something out. Right now I'm testing all the old-school emulation software, to see which ones work best. Then I'll begin testing with my hardware =3  

Silas Parrish
Captain

Dapper Genius

Ty Gwynnia
Crew

Beloved Dark Elf

10,750 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:45 pm
Oh, okay then. But I love my old Nintendo. You no can has it's case! *glomps it*  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:31 pm
lol I wasn't asking for it. Calm thyself, young Padawan! I found an old one on eBay for like thirty bucks, but I think I might go with a custom case, since I'd rather not ruin a Nintendo that might otherwise still be in good condition.  

Silas Parrish
Captain

Dapper Genius

Silas Parrish
Captain

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:32 pm
UPDATE!!!
Today, Blue, Heros and I assembled some hardware, and did a dry run. Everything works! There's just a few more things we need...like a power supply unit and some RAM. Oh, we also are still looking for a case. Turns out, the assembly is too big to stuff in a Nintendo or PS2, as I had originally planned, so I'll set about building one out of something else. Next paycheck, I'll be out searching for the parts I'm missing, and I'll get together a final assembly. Then, I'll install the software and get this bad boy up and running right! Updates and mebbe even screenshots will follow. Ta for now!
Oh, and I almost forgot...we named the beast today. It shall henceforth be known as the Nintendon't!  
Casual Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games