Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Harry Potter 6 movie...why??? (spoilers)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kim ocean
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:38 pm
Don't read if you haven't seen/read Harry Potter 6 the movie/book!

I finally got around to watching Harry Potter 6 (yes, I know, I take forever to watch movies), and I'm just in shock at how badly they butchered the ending!

In the book, Harry can't save Dumbledore because he's been petrified and hidden under his invisiblity cloak. He was helpless to do anything.

In the movie, wow. Harry can't save Dumbledore because was told to go hide. And just to cover their bases, Snape came along and tells Harry, "Shhh!"

That's right. Harry Potter, the hero, doesn't do anything to defend Dumbledore from the Death Eaters because of that all powerful spell: He's been shushed.

I can just picture Ron and Hermione: "Harry! What happened? Why didn't you do anything? Harry: "What could I do? It happened so fast! And I was shushed!"

And they didn't include any of the big fights at the end, or Luna and Neville coming to help. I haven't even read the book in years, and I still remember that being my favorite part. Not to mention Dumbledore's funeral being cut out. Ugh. Way to remember one of the most important characters in the series.

I don't know. Did anyone else see it? Or like it/dislike it? I'm worried about the final two movies now.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:31 pm
I forgot he was petrified. I guess now that you mention it, that was kinda lame, because Harry totally would have tried to rescue Dumbledore.

They left out the fight scene because they thought it might be too much like the Battle of Hogwarts in the seventh book...so that battle better be amazing. I was not too disappointed that we didn't see a fight scene; in fact, I wasn't expecting it. Harry wasn't there so we didn't even get to read it. gonk

I also remember an interview that Dumbledore's funeral will be at the beginning of the first part of HP7. It better be, or I'ma be pissed.

Overall though, I liked the 6th movie. I am not sure if it's my favorite, but it's definitely up there with GoF. I know so much was different in the movie than from the book, but it actually felt like the Wizarding World of HP to me. I didn't get that from the other movies too much. D:  

comfylove
Crew

kim ocean
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:08 am
Dumbledore's funeral will be in the next movie? Oh, that makes me feel much better! I was wondering why they had the final scene with Harry talking to Ron and Hermione in the owl tower or whatever that place was. I thought they were trying to save on set design costs by reusing it again.

I thought this movie was pretty good up until the ending. The scene with Harry and Dumbledore getting the necklace was really good.

I think I'd just be happier if they stopped making everything so grey. I realize the books take on a darker tone, but ever since the 3rd movie, they've gone from a magical, rich color scheme to this depressing grey overtone. Maybe it's just a personal preference, but I always pictured things more vibrant.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:21 am
Maybe it's just me, but if the overall movie is good, I don't care about continuity.

The exception to the rule is the Wizard of Oz. There were too many discrepancies.

For example:

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, By Frank L. Baum (Book): Glinda is the good witch of the south.

The Wizard of Oz (Movie): Glinda is the good witch of the north.

Or:

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Book): The slippers are silver jeweled.

The Wizard of Oz (Movie): The slippers are ruby jeweled.

See what I mean?

I suppose if the errors are glaring, I can't help but point them out.

Maybe the one you are talking about was so inconspicuous to me becuase I hadn't read the book in a while. I have no idea.  

ecopper12

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:17 am
The question I have been asking since the first HP movie. XD
I think I watched the 5th HP movie around the time the 6th one came out and that was only because my friend wanted to watch it. XD Haven't seen the 6th, so I'm probably worse than you.

And wow. o.o That's just... stupid. I don't understand why they change some of those scenes when it would take just as long to have them accurate. The original also speaks more about Harry's character.

But Snape shushes him? So, I guess they tried to make it clear that Snape is still a "good guy"? If so, that's slightly disappointing. I loved that you didn't know at the end of the 6th book. While I never really thought Snape was evil and pretty much figured Dumbledore asked him to, etc, all the different opinions and the ultimate uncertainty was fun. I guess that would also make it where Harry knows Snape is at least somewhat good too. No Snape is evil angst?

@Ecopper
Those errors don't change the meaning of the plot or the plot at all though. It's like them making Astronomy class be on a different day.

This is one is bigger because it messes with the character. In the books, Harry wasn't physically able to save Dumbledore. He wanted to and he would have if he was able, but he couldn't. This true to Harry's character of his "Saving people thing" especially the life of someone he loved/respected. The way they changed it isn't really Harry and makes the scene much less gut-wrenching to me. Harry is not exactly known for following orders or valuing his own life over that of others, so why would he hide and stay hidden just because someone shushed him and told him to?
And any angst Movie!Harry has over not trying to save Dumbledore will not get much sympathy from me since he has the ability and the guts to have tried, so he just didn't do it.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:02 pm
I could have sworn Dumbledoor petrifies Harry with wandless magic or something like that in the film.  

scrub
Crew

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:38 pm
Maybe they were trying to make Snape look more badass? Or... or like maybe he was protecting Harry, too? You know, from um... whoever else may have been watching? Even though Harry is a douche and I would have been just fine if he'd died in book 2 and somebody else became the hero.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:03 pm
kim ocean
Don't read if you haven't seen/read Harry Potter 6 the movie/book!

I finally got around to watching Harry Potter 6 (yes, I know, I take forever to watch movies), and I'm just in shock at how badly they butchered the ending!

In the book, Harry can't save Dumbledore because he's been petrified and hidden under his invisiblity cloak. He was helpless to do anything.

In the movie, wow. Harry can't save Dumbledore because was told to go hide. And just to cover their bases, Snape came along and tells Harry, "Shhh!"

That's right. Harry Potter, the hero, doesn't do anything to defend Dumbledore from the Death Eaters because of that all powerful spell: He's been shushed.

I can just picture Ron and Hermione: "Harry! What happened? Why didn't you do anything? Harry: "What could I do? It happened so fast! And I was shushed!"

And they didn't include any of the big fights at the end, or Luna and Neville coming to help. I haven't even read the book in years, and I still remember that being my favorite part. Not to mention Dumbledore's funeral being cut out. Ugh. Way to remember one of the most important characters in the series.

I don't know. Did anyone else see it? Or like it/dislike it? I'm worried about the final two movies now.

I completely agree with you. My favorite part of the book was the ending battle, and they should has shown Dumbledore's funeral!!! He was a major part of the series and a legend for goodness sake!!!!!! scream scream  

SoLongAndFairWell

Renard Muldrake

Clean Capitalist

6,200 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:32 pm
Lychee Fruit
Even though Harry is a douche and I would have been just fine if he'd died in book 2 and somebody else became the hero.
THISTHISTHIS.
Like Neville Longbottom. He's pretty awesome. Maybe the awesomest.

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games