Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Education or Money?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

This is not a poll
  Nope!
View Results

Nexus Carbuncle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:09 pm
Hey Suites! You've always given good advice, so here goes:

I'm currently in college, a very good one. I spent my entire high school career practicing, so that I'd be able to get a good music education after the poor one I had in high school, and it paid off; five years later (I'm a sophomore) I'm in a world-class conservatory and getting a damn good education. But a damned expensive one.

The school I attend is 50k a year, though, thanks to scholarships and loans, it costs around 32K for me, so that's 128k after four years. Now, my parents can pay that, but it's a serious burden, and I feel incredibly guilty about it. And since I'm a clarinet major, it's not like I'll be able to pay them right away.

So, is it right for me to be getting my dream education, when my parents have to suffer for it? Should I be feeling guility? /:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:16 pm
Obviously they think you are worth it and can succeed... don't waste the opportunity they are giving you smile  

scrub
Crew

wo_nyrmo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:49 pm
If your parents are willing to pay for it then take that opportunity.

Not alot of kids have parents that will pay for such a thing even if they have the funds to do so or can't afford to pay for such a thing and thus the kid is left on his own.

Just really appreciate the gift they are giving you as I'm sure it isn't something as trivial as you having to pay them back like it is some sorta loan from the folks. Though in time you should pay them back when you can as it would be a really nice gesture on your part.

So yea no need to feel guility for it just make sure you show your appreciation and show them you will do your best and fullfill your dreams.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:41 pm
It's far better to finish the degree and have something to show for all that money than to quit halfway and have nothing. Those pieces of paper mean everything in the world to people who don't have the time to check and see what kind of person you are. 3nodding  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:27 pm
I was going to say basically what Lychee said. I think they would probably hate for you to give it up now more than having to pay for it all. :3  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:51 am
Thanks, guys. I feel a little better. A little guilty, still, but a little better.

I actually called my parents the other day with this, and their reaction was "STFU and stop worrying so much." xD

Nexus Carbuncle

Aaditya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:32 pm
It's great that your parents are helping you out and n 18k scholarship is nothing to scoff at, so you're definitely doing your part. If you want to help more you can always pick up some work study. It'll only be like 2-3k less on tuition a year but they usually give you jobs where you're sitting around (optimal studying time).  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:10 pm
Lol, Nexus. You doofus.

Follow your dream already. It'll cost you a lot more to suffer being grounded than to try flying.

It's good to hear your parents are the practical/useful sort, though.

Go for it. biggrin For you. 3nodding  

Maze

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:36 pm
Nexus Carbuncle
I spent my entire high school career practicing, so that I'd be able to get a good music education after the poor one I had in high school, and it paid off; five years later (I'm a sophomore) I'm in a world-class conservatory and getting a damn good education.

I almost burst out laughing there. You don't need a "good music education" to know music. In fact, I tend to look down on people who get music degrees as more often than not they just use it to say "I'm better than you because I have a piece of paper". Music is a passion that cannot be measured by how much time you've studied or what kind of degrees you get in it. I have taken no music classes save a very basic introduction to music in my 6th grade year yet I am considered one of the best musicians in my area. I was just approached by someone yesterday requesting that I teach his son how to play piano. That's another thing: When I teach I don't charge. The only thing that will determine whether I will teach you or not is how passionate you are about music. If I don't feel your heart in music, I'll cut you off. You need to want it because it's a part of your life not for fame, money, or respect. That's why I don't give a damn if you're the best damn musician in the world. I will not teach you if you have no heart.

In any case a few questions now:
1. What "education" did you receive in music prior to entering this college?
2. What "education" are you receiving now that you've entered college?
3. Are you only studying clarinet or are you branching into other things as well?
4. Do you have the heart for music?
5. If so why would you even be asking that question?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:39 pm
@Aadi- Yeah, my professor teaches advanced high schoolers as well as us college kids. He gives beginning students to his undergrads and grads, and so, yeah, it won't pay much, but I can get a few students to teach on the weekend. Also, there's plenty of paying work I can do over the Summer, at music camps and things like that around here. [:

@Maze- D'aw. I don't know what to say to that. I can only smile. [:

@Maui- That's fine, except it's not. The education that I want, that's ******** up my parents' retirement, that you "almost burst out laughing at" is very necessary for the path I want to take. Look down on me and my "piece of paper" all you want, but I want to be an orchestral musician someday, and I'd like to, as my professor does, be able to push kids in that direction. Know how many clarinet jobs open up in an orchestra, in America, each year? Less than ten. Know how many pay enough that I won't starve? Four. If it's a good year. Know how many orchestras will even let you audition without proper credentials? None.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing all that I can do make my dream a reality. Now, I don't know about fame, but respect comes with being good at what you do, even if you don't seek it, and I don't care about making a fabulous amount of money. However, I do want to make enough that I can don't have to worry about feeding myself. Reeds, maintenance (I own A, Bb, Eb, and bass clarinets), and rent are still a reality.

1) I received education in a band room. The school I went to had an excellent band program, but was horrible for individual players. Outside of class, however, I went to clinics all around the country, went to england, and was in the top 3 players in my state. I had two teachers, but a lot of the out-of-class work was on my own.

2) I study with a world-class musician at a fantastic conservatory. He works freelance, but is in constant demand, frequently leaving the school for weeks, and he is highly respected. He is also my mentor and my friend, and through him I have met some of the most talented musicians in the world (I got to meet Yo-Yo Ma, Renée Fleming, and others), and he has promised to make sure I have a job once I leave the school.

3) I study clarinet, but I play speciality, secondary instruments, (Eb, and Bass, on top of A and Bb, again). Eb clarinet is ridiculously hard to tune, and very technically demanding.

4) If I did not have the heart for music, I'd say, I don't think I'd be where I'm at. My school is a school of less than 1000, and we're all artists, dancers, and musicians. One does not go unless he or she is incredibly dedicated. In fact, part of the reason I didn't try for Juilliard, is because the kids there only want to be the next principal of the New York Philharmonic, and make 500k a year, and it's overly-competitive. Not my thing.

5) Why ask? Because I have two parents that I see three times a year, now, who are having to delay retirement, and much-needed renovations to our house, who I can't thank enough, that are putting me through school, while only I benefit from this.

Nexus Carbuncle

[X]Harajuku[X]

450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:55 pm
I think its sweet you care about that,to me says a lot about your character.Also,I'm kinda having the same problem myself,I'm actually trying to get into for Music Arts program,and I also play Clarinet heh,Anyways that's all besides the point.I think if ya could help out your parents would appreciate it but I think they wouldn't have taken on that responsibility if they couldn't handle it,so I don't think you should feel guilty but instead feel grateful they are doing what they can to see you succeed.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:02 pm
Periods and commas are generally followed by another space. It prevents your posts from looking like the glue fell all over it.

Spaces. They really are your friends~.

@Nexus: *pat*  

Maze

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:26 am
Nexus Carbuncle
@Maui- That's fine, except it's not. The education that I want, that's ******** up my parents' retirement, that you "almost burst out laughing at" is very necessary for the path I want to take. Look down on me and my "piece of paper" all you want, but I want to be an orchestral musician someday, and I'd like to, as my professor does, be able to push kids in that direction. Know how many clarinet jobs open up in an orchestra, in America, each year? Less than ten. Know how many pay enough that I won't starve? Four. If it's a good year. Know how many orchestras will even let you audition without proper credentials? None.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing all that I can do make my dream a reality. Now, I don't know about fame, but respect comes with being good at what you do, even if you don't seek it, and I don't care about making a fabulous amount of money. However, I do want to make enough that I can don't have to worry about feeding myself. Reeds, maintenance (I own A, Bb, Eb, and bass clarinets), and rent are still a reality.

1) I received education in a band room. The school I went to had an excellent band program, but was horrible for individual players. Outside of class, however, I went to clinics all around the country, went to england, and was in the top 3 players in my state. I had two teachers, but a lot of the out-of-class work was on my own.

2) I study with a world-class musician at a fantastic conservatory. He works freelance, but is in constant demand, frequently leaving the school for weeks, and he is highly respected. He is also my mentor and my friend, and through him I have met some of the most talented musicians in the world (I got to meet Yo-Yo Ma, Renée Fleming, and others), and he has promised to make sure I have a job once I leave the school.

3) I study clarinet, but I play speciality, secondary instruments, (Eb, and Bass, on top of A and Bb, again). Eb clarinet is ridiculously hard to tune, and very technically demanding.

4) If I did not have the heart for music, I'd say, I don't think I'd be where I'm at. My school is a school of less than 1000, and we're all artists, dancers, and musicians. One does not go unless he or she is incredibly dedicated. In fact, part of the reason I didn't try for Juilliard, is because the kids there only want to be the next principal of the New York Philharmonic, and make 500k a year, and it's overly-competitive. Not my thing.

5) Why ask? Because I have two parents that I see three times a year, now, who are having to delay retirement, and much-needed renovations to our house, who I can't thank enough, that are putting me through school, while only I benefit from this.
So wait... You're implying that getting into an orchestra, of which only 10 spots open up a year, is not "overly-competitive"? Also why is it important that you join up with an orchestra anyway? I'm sure that if you're as dedicated as you say you are you have met many talented musicians in your career and some producers as well. Why dedicate yourself to only playing in an orchestral setting when you might be able to make money off of record sales and compositions? Yes it may not be a job that can "pay enough so you don't starve" but why is it so important that music be your primary career? Of all the good non-ghetto musicians I have met, only 2 or 3 of them have had music as their primary career throughout their life and believe it or not, of the musicians who didn't have music as their primary career but rather as a dedicated hobby about 3/4 of them I would place above the 2 or 3 that had a career in music in terms of musical talent and dedication. I guess what I'm trying to say there is that even though yes it would be really awesome to be in a professional orchestra and yes it would require a lot of work, time, and money, it seems you are more concerned about the amount you are spending and the amount you will be receiving while this is going on and when it's over and done with.

As for where I've received my "education", it originally started with private lessons form a well-respected piano teacher here after she had picked me out and asked me to be her student after a short 3 week class she held for kindergartners at my school. After a few years, I eventually fell out of piano for a bit to pursue an athletic career in football. After high school was over, I met up with a girl who asked me to be her piano mentor and through her and some freak coincidence, I found a friend of my old piano teacher named Fulton Tashombe. Now he has no conservatory or anything like that. He operates out of a little space in the "ghetto" here that he rents out. He has a recording studio, a full grand, and everything inside even though he just manages to pay the rent every month. And it is through his example that I say you don't really need a music education to be successful in music; just the dedication and hard work required into pursuing that dream. And finally, I know this will sound cold but, music should be at the top of your priorities at all times save personal well-being. Above your friends, above your study, even above your family if you are truly dedicated. Because you will know that when all is said and done you will be able to pay them back. You will be able to go back to them and give them every piece of material that you required from them in your time of need. But if there is ever a doubt in your mind that will happen, it means you could have tried harder. It means you could have done more. But that's what I'm talking about when I speak of dedication.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:56 am
No, orchestras are overly competitive. Incredibly so. All I was saying is that for my education, that is not the best environment in which to grow.

Why's making an orchestra so important to me? Because it's my dream. That's why. One does not need a reason to dream. And, I'd be a lousy composer, I know that for a fact. And again, it's so important to me that music be my career because it's what I want. Music is what I love best. I love clarinet. I love playing it. If I have to make a career out of something, if I want to make myself happy, why not do what I love best, for a living? My dad supports me because he always tells me that if I get a job doing music, I'll never work a day in my life.

You do have a point about putting my well-being first. To an extent, that's exactly what I signed on to when making the decision to attend my school. But, still, I can't help but feel guilty.

Nexus Carbuncle

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:10 am
I love music as well and have made it practically a part of my life as much as breathing, sleeping, and shitting. Still I do not seek a career in music. Sure I would love to be able to play at Carnegie Hall but at what cost? I would honestly never go to an institute of music unless they asked me to go. I am perfectly content with playing at private gigs and working with friends in music to produce things. Now don't get me wrong I have dreamed of playing for some political leader or in Carnegie Hall but to me, music itself is more important than that. I would not sacrifice my love and passion for music by trying to force it into my life. It just is a part of my life and I don't need a career in music to prove that to myself. Now I understand that getting into an orchestra is pretty important in your life but it seems there are other things that crowd your list of priorities. I'd ask myself this: How far must I go to prove music is my passion?  
The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games